Fly by attack, Aoo?

Celestian

Explorer
I read the Fly by attack from the MM and I wonder, does the mob get a aoo because they enter/exit a threaten'd area? The way I was treating it was like mobility and they do not.

Artoomis

First Post
Flyby Attack[General]
Prerequisite: Fly speed.
Benefit: When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another partial action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.
Normal: Without this feat, the creature takes a partial action either before or after its move.

Nothing about avoiding an AoO.

Note, too, that this SRD quote has an error in the last sentance as one does not normally get a partial action before or after a move - that should say a standard action.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Unless the Feat says so explicitly, the creature does provoke AoOs from movement.

Fly by Attack is actually a more generic version of Spring Attack and Shot on the Run. Sometimes SA is better, sometimes SotR is better, sometimes FbA is better.

FbA makes more sense for non-humanoids who may want to combine movement with a melee attack, a spell, a breathe weapon, or some other supernatural ability. In the case of, say, a Dragon Flyby is much better than Spring Attack even he it can result in an AoO under some circumstances.

Remove ads