• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Flying Races: Limiting Flight

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If a character splits the party, you go with the usual result of horror movies. If an entire party choses flying characters, you have to think new ways to engage them besides chasms, such as "the magic sword is in the Peak of the Winds" or "there is a tower with sorcerors casting earthbind to any flying creature that pass by and master longbowmen". Suddenly, they can't go there flying unless they can somehow manipulate the winds or become invisible en masse.

Done and done.
Sure, but those are constraints I don’t particularly want to design around on the off-chance that one of my players wants to play an aaracokra. Much easier to just tell that player, “sorry, that race isn’t suited to my campaign.”

Besides, if they only take the races because flying, they are going to be in a lot worse problems.

A I've said prior, I've DM'ed for two years parties with at least one stolasi (aaracockra reskin) per group, and has never being a problem. Rather, I've to struggle on how to make useful certain (useless) traits, such as Tinker, or entire skills such as Performance, or outright banning certain very common spells, such as Create & Destroy Water and Create Food and Water, that ruin entire adventures (like crossing scorching deserts without any meaningful impact on the game). Flying adds a new layer of possibilities, rather than shut down others.
Good for you. My experience has been different.

If chasms and cliffs are your only concern, you can still make them count with strong winds or storms. Something that even has a lot of sense. Also in my experience, chasms and cliffs aren't gates at all: a creative player can bypass them with ease. Rope, stakes, and Athletics do the trick. My characters have made rope with jungle vines and tools. My players have constructed bridges with trees and ropes to cross chasms, or used Feather fall to reach the end and then scale it up with Mold Earth. At one point, a wizard used a cantrip to make an ice bridge over a river. They could get very creative. They don't see a gate as much as a challenge.
I’m familiar with players’ ability to come up with creative solutions to obstacles, thanks. Let’s proceed under the assumption that I am a competent enough DM to account for my PCs capabilities in constructing challenges for them. Chasms and cliffs are not my only concern, they are examples of the type of obstacle that concerns me. Namely, obstacles that require flight to bypass. Sure, I can account for players having the ability to fly if need be, and I do for PCs over 5th level. But I find value in being able to expect certain capabilities to consistently become available at certain levels, so as to create a sense of progression, when newly gained abilities give the PCs the ability to bypass obstacles that were previously impassable.

As I've said prior, it isn't unrestricted flying.
Ok, I don’t allow flight that lacks restrictions beyond those already inherent to the flying rules themselves. I figured that went without saying, but I guess not.

There are many, many restrictions to fly baked in, and I gave you a few more (exhaustion, food, encumbrance) that don't get ridiculous (such as having a culture of flying creatures incapable to fly until they reach a certain level in a class... those poor aaracockra farmers and hunters are land-locked forever).
Ok, it’s clear we’re working from different baseline assumptions here. Generally, I don’t allow aaracokra. If a player really wanted to play one and was willing to accept a nerf such as not gaining their fly speed until level 5, I would not impose the same restriction on aaracokra NPCs. I am comfortable with PCs and NPCs playing by different rules (which they do by 5e RAW anyway), and the player is voluntarily accepting a restriction on what the race is normally capable of in order to be allowed to play one, because th race’s normal capabilities are not appropriate for PCs in my game.

And the ones that I've provided apply also past level 5.
Ok? I don’t care about them applying past level 5, that’s the point flight gates become passable anyway.

Also, there is a lot of other gates you can apply: underwater exploration is one of my favourites. But also, well, actual gates.
Yes. Yes, there are. I too use such gates. That doesn’t mean I want other gates taken out of my toolbox.

Erechel

Explorer
Sure, but those are constraints I don’t particularly want to design around on the off-chance that one of my players wants to play an aaracokra. Much easier to just tell that player, “sorry, that race isn’t suited to my campaign.”

Besides, if they only take the races because flying, they are going to be in a lot worse problems.

As I've said and you conveniently ignored, the gate is still a gate if only one player has a flying character. You talked about an entire party of flying characters, and I've responded accordingly: if you have such a party, you could still use gates. And wind. Why do you keep neglecting wind? It's such a convenient and easy thing to do.

Good for you. My experience has been different.

As you said, you don't normally allow any flying creature without a massive nerf, so I don't see the relevance of your experience with flying characters. There are other, more easily broken features for first level characters, tested time and again. Flight of a single creature isn't one. And actual experience beats spherical cows in a vacuum.

I’m familiar with players’ ability to come up with creative solutions to obstacles, thanks. Let’s proceed under the assumption that I am a competent enough DM to account for my PCs capabilities in constructing challenges for them. Chasms and cliffs are not my only concern, they are examples of the type of obstacle that concerns me. Namely, obstacles that require flight to bypass. Sure, I can account for players having the ability to fly if need be, and I do for PCs over 5th level. But I find value in being able to expect certain capabilities to consistently become available at certain levels, so as to create a sense of progression, when newly gained abilities give the PCs the ability to bypass obstacles that were previously impassable.

I know what gating is, thank you. But I do also know that TTRPG isn't the same of videogames, and gating isn't all that effective because characters could get very creative, and don't see a "gate" and say "Oh, let's wait until level 5 to climb the Mountain of Doom!". They just find a way to do it. They experience progression by some tasks become easier than before, more than for being able to do things previously impossible. And, come on, chasms and cliffs aren't such a hard gate to bypass. And then, wind. Wind is simple enough if flying is such a big deal for you to have a "gate".

And even then, as I've said many times, it is still a gate if even one in the party choses to be a dwarf.

Ok, I don’t allow flight that lacks restrictions beyond those already inherent to the flying rules themselves. I figured that went without saying, but I guess not.

Thus, punishing characters that pick a flying creature, which mostly gets that and nothing else. Because when they gain the full ability it has become irrelevant. It is like playing a mountain dwarf fighter: the dwarven weapon training becomes irrelevant, overlapped by the class abilities. At least the dwarf gets +2 to two stats, poison resistance and dwarven tools.

Ok, it’s clear we’re working from different baseline assumptions here. Generally, I don’t allow aaracokra. If a player really wanted to play one and was willing to accept a nerf such as not gaining their fly speed until level 5, I would not impose the same restriction on aaracokra NPCs. I am comfortable with PCs and NPCs playing by different rules (which they do by 5e RAW anyway), and the player is voluntarily accepting a restriction on what the race is normally capable of in order to be allowed to play one, because th race’s normal capabilities are not appropriate for PCs in my game.

RAW if you have to make a NPC of a given race, you apply the same racial features of the character, at least by the DMG, p. 248. A Mountain Dwarf commoner has access to medium armor and axe training, besides being stronger and tougher than a human peasant. I've even made the work for you.

Ok? I don’t care about them applying past level 5, that’s the point flight gates become passable anyway.

Thus, again, punishing the player that choses a flying creature by render his ability a mere ribbon. Also, as I've said many times, the gates remain a problem unless all the party choses to be a flying creature. Not if only one of them is. Also, wind solves the problem if it really bothers you, and it is a very simple description of the environment.

Yes. Yes, there are. I too use such gates. That doesn’t mean I want other gates taken out of my toolbox.

See above. This is a problem only if you made it. Fact is, you want it to be a problem, even if it is self contained, theoretical and solved by the game itself, that gives you the tools to solve it without you having to innovate (wind, again, which you conveniently ignore).

As I see this conversation, you choose to ignore both real tabletop experience and simple, RAW solutions to your theorical problems, and prefer complicated solutions such as "ribboning" their race abilities in case of those theoretical (as I've said, TT experience won't ever bring it up, at least in any meaningful way) problems arise, such as having an entire party of birdmen. I'm not the only one saying this, Shidaku also says something similar: he listed the amount of things he can do with a bird person. It isn't impressive at all.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
As I've said and you conveniently ignored, the gate is still a gate if only one player has a flying character.
I didn't ignore that. I specifically said, even if only one player has a flying character, they can break sequence if they are willing to split the party, another thing I prefer to avoid.

You talked about an entire party of flying characters, and I've responded accordingly: if you have such a party, you could still use gates. And wind. Why do you keep neglecting wind? It's such a convenient and easy thing to do.
Sure, I could still use gates, but "you need to fly past this" would not be among the gates at my disposal. Actually, in a party with all flying characters that would probably be fine because it's the expectation from the get-go. But that's not generally how I assume a party is going to be constructed.

The reason I neglect wind is twofold. First of all, it's just not going to be windy all the time in all places where flight might be necessary to pass. Second, and much more importantly, wind is not something that gaining the ability to fly allows you to bypass. "You can't get there without flying" is a different gate than "it's too windy for you to fly there" and is opened with a different key.

As you said, you don't normally allow any flying creature without a massive nerf, so I don't see the relevance of your experience with flying characters. There are other, more easily broken features for first level characters, tested time and again. Flight of a single creature isn't one. And actual experience beats spherical cows in a vacuum.
You assume that I don't have experience with parties including flying characters. This is an incorrect assumption. It is my experience with flying characters that has led me to the decision to disallow flying characters at 1st level. And "brokenness" is, again, not the issue I take.

I know what gating is, thank you.
I wasn't explaining what gating is to you?

But I do also know that TTRPG isn't the same of videogames, and gating isn't all that effective because characters could get very creative, and don't see a "gate" and say "Oh, let's wait until level 5 to climb the Mountain of Doom!". They just find a way to do it. They experience progression by some tasks become easier than before, more than for being able to do things previously impossible.
This has not been my experience. Gating can be very effective in TTRPGs, it just depends on how you design your adventures. With the right tutorializing, I have found it very easy to teach players that some obstacles cannot be bypassed with their current capabilities, and that when they encounter such obstacles, they can expect to obtain a power that will allow them bypass those obstacles at some point in the future.

And, come on, chasms and cliffs aren't such a hard gate to bypass. And then, wind. Wind is simple enough if flying is such a big deal for you to have a "gate".
And again, gates and chasms are not necessarily the specific obstacle I would use, just an example of the type of obstacle. But let's assume I have a chasm that is too wide for any tools the players have at their disposal to bridge, too sheer for them to climb, and I decide to use wind to prevent the party aaracokra from flying across it. The rest of the party gaining the ability to fly isn't going to allow them to bypass that obstacle. Unless the wind conveniently stops once they have a party member with the Fly spell, and at that point the fly spell isn't actually the key to the gate.

And even then, as I've said many times, it is still a gate if even one in the party choses to be a dwarf.
So suddenly all that player ingenuity that was allowing them to bridge the gap without any flying party members disappears?

Thus, punishing characters that pick a flying creature, which mostly gets that and nothing else. Because when they gain the full ability it has become irrelevant. It is like playing a mountain dwarf fighter: the dwarven weapon training becomes irrelevant, overlapped by the class abilities. At least the dwarf gets +2 to two stats, poison resistance and dwarven tools.
I don't punish characters for picking flying creatures. I do not allow players to pick flying creatures. If a player really wants to play a creature that normally has flying anyway, they do so with the understanding that, because I don't allow flying creatures, they will not be able to fly. That's not a punishment for picking a flying race, that's an allowance. If you want to play an aaracokra for some reason other than it's ability to fly (presumably roleplaying reasons), I will allow that, on the condition that you will not be able to fly. Hell, I'll work with you to come up with some other racial bonus to make up for the lack of flying if it's that important to you. If flying is the only reason you want to pick a race, then pick a different one, because 1st level flight is a hard no from me.

RAW if you have to make a NPC of a given race, you apply the same racial features of the character, at least by the DMG, p. 248. A Mountain Dwarf commoner has access to medium armor and axe training, besides being stronger and tougher than a human peasant. I've even made the work for you.
Yes, and? I'll make aaracokra NPCs with the normal aaracokra racial abilities. They're not normally a playable race in my games, so the flying isn't a problem. If a player insists that the aaracokra race is so important to his character concept that he will take it even if he can't fly, then I'll work with him to make an allowance for that. Maybe his wings got clipped as a hatchling or something, whatever. Just because the player going outside the rules to play what is, in my games, a monster race, doesn't mean all NPCs of that race has to play by the same rules he does.

Thus, again, punishing the player that choses a flying creature by render his ability a mere ribbon.
Again, that's the player choosing to play a race that I don't otherwise allow. Is it punishing a player for choosing to play a half-dragon if I allow him to reskin the dragonborn racial stats to bring him in line with the other PCs instead of giving him the full half-dragon template simply because that's what he chose to play? Is it punishing a player who wants to play a Doppleganger for allowing her to play a Changeling from the Eberron Unearthed Arcana instead of giving them the full Doppleganger statistics? Flying PCs at level 1 aren't allowed in my game. If you want to play a race that normally has a flight speed anyway, you do so with the understanding that it will not have a flight speed at level 1.

Also, as I've said many times, the gates remain a problem unless all the party choses to be a flying creature. Not if only one of them is. Also, wind solves the problem if it really bothers you, and it is a very simple description of the environment.
As I've said many times, this has not been my experience, and wind doesn't solve the problem because it has a completely different key.

See above. This is a problem only if you made it. Fact is, you want it to be a problem, even if it is self contained, theoretical and solved by the game itself, that gives you the tools to solve it without you having to innovate (wind, again, which you conveniently ignore).
See above. If this isn't a problem for you, do whatever you want. Fact is, flying at 1st level is a problem in my games, it is absolutely self contained, practical, and solved by banning flying races, not by wind.

As I see this conversation, you choose to ignore both real tabletop experience and simple, RAW solutions to your theorical problems, and prefer complicated solutions such as "ribboning" their race abilities in case of those theoretical (as I've said, TT experience won't ever bring it up, at least in any meaningful way) problems arise, such as having an entire party of birdmen. I'm not the only one saying this, Shidaku also says something similar: he listed the amount of things he can do with a bird person. It isn't impressive at all.
As I see this conversation, I stated why I don't allow races with flight speed at level 1 in my games. Those reasons had exactly zero to do with how impressive the things you can do with a bird person is or is not, and my solution is not ribboning, it's straight-up banning. And you persist in trying to give me solutions to problems I don't have and argue that I shouldn't be running the game the way I do because of some nonsense about punishing players for making choices I don't allow.

Erechel

Explorer
I didn't ignore that. I specifically said, even if only one player has a flying character, they can break sequence if they are willing to split the party, another thing I prefer to avoid.

And as I've said so before, you can solve it quickly: horror movie. And they know it. Also, it isn't going to be better at level five, when a wizard could pass only one creature at a time, possibly at best two without needing to rest, and spending their most powerful spells.

Sure, I could still use gates, but "you need to fly past this" would not be among the gates at my disposal. Actually, in a party with all flying characters that would probably be fine because it's the expectation from the get-go. But that's not generally how I assume a party is going to be constructed.

Name one. One gate that could be bypassed only by having one creature flying that cannot be solved by a familiar.

The reason I neglect wind is twofold. First of all, it's just not going to be windy all the time in all places where flight might be necessary to pass.

Just how many gates do you place that require fly to be passed by? As you put it, it seems like the only one. Also, Fly is a Concentration spell that gives one creature the ability to fly, not the whole party. And its level three, so the same problem persists at level 5. You could theoretically bypass it with a classical party of four (wizard, rogue, cleric, fighter) at about level 11.

Second, and much more importantly, wind is not something that gaining the ability to fly allows you to bypass. "You can't get there without flying" is a different gate than "it's too windy for you to fly there" and is opened with a different key.

True. It is a rather different approach to a problem. You seem to be using the "only one true key" approach to gating. I've seen way too many times this logic fail, and adventures become stagnant because there is only one possible answer. If no one can learn the fly spell (asume a party of fighters, paladins, rogues and clerics, in one of the many configurations that don't rely on flying: even a wizard could theoretically never find or being interested in learn the Fly spell, because other options are available) the gate will never open. Ever. Because the Fly spell is the only answer to open all the doors of the world. And then, you need them to solve it by other means different of flying, such as giving them a magical item that allows them to cross the bridge. A magical item they could feasibly obtain at any given level.

It feels more like a level 5 tax than a feature.

You assume that I don't have experience with parties including flying characters. This is an incorrect assumption. It is my experience with flying characters that has led me to the decision to disallow flying characters at 1st level. And "brokenness" is, again, not the issue I take.

Again, you haven't explained anything from experience. I'll be trilled to read your experience with flying characters auto-solving entire adventures

I wasn't explaining what gating is to you?

Yes, you were.

This has not been my experience. Gating can be very effective in TTRPGs, it just depends on how you design your adventures. With the right tutorializing, I have found it very easy to teach players that some obstacles cannot be bypassed with their current capabilities, and that when they encounter such obstacles, they can expect to obtain a power that will allow them bypass those obstacles at some point in the future.

So the players could clearly see the rails, because there is only one solution. So much for player agency.

And again, gates and chasms are not necessarily the specific obstacle I would use, just an example of the type of obstacle. But let's assume I have a chasm that is too wide for any tools the players have at their disposal to bridge, too sheer for them to climb, and I decide to use wind to prevent the party aaracokra from flying across it. The rest of the party gaining the ability to fly isn't going to allow them to bypass that obstacle. Unless the wind conveniently stops once they have a party member with the Fly spell, and at that point the fly spell isn't actually the key to the gate.

The rest of the party gaining the ability of flying is one hell specific key to attain, and it is solved, as I've said prior, much later than level 5. If an aaracockra can't fly because there is a lot of wind, it will have to:

a) Solve the problem in any other way or
b) Find a way to control the winds and then fly.

So suddenly all that player ingenuity that was allowing them to bridge the gap without any flying party members disappears?

I've never said so. The problem still needs to be solved somehow. That's a clever challenge: one that needs to be solved creatively. You are the one posting the gates with one and only solution, not me.

I don't punish characters for picking flying creatures. I do not allow players to pick flying creatures. If a player really wants to play a creature that normally has flying anyway, they do so with the understanding that, because I don't allow flying creatures, they will not be able to fly. That's not a punishment for picking a flying race, that's an allowance. If you want to play an aaracokra for some reason other than it's ability to fly (presumably roleplaying reasons), I will allow that, on the condition that you will not be able to fly. Hell, I'll work with you to come up with some other racial bonus to make up for the lack of flying if it's that important to you. If flying is the only reason you want to pick a race, then pick a different one, because 1st level flight is a hard no from me.

You know that it is an arbitrary decision point, don't you? It is just a mater of taste. I natural that people pick a race because of their abilities, and a variant human, EG, is much more powerful.

Yes, and? I'll make aaracokra NPCs with the normal aaracokra racial abilities. They're not normally a playable race in my games, so the flying isn't a problem. If a player insists that the aaracokra race is so important to his character concept that he will take it even if he can't fly, then I'll work with him to make an allowance for that. Maybe his wings got clipped as a hatchling or something, whatever. Just because the player going outside the rules to play what is, in my games, a monster race, doesn't mean all NPCs of that race has to play by the same rules he does.

You said that NPCs and PCs "RAW" play by different rules, not me. I've only pointed out that you are wrong, and quoted why. It was your point​ falling apart, not mine.

Again, that's the player choosing to play a race that I don't otherwise allow. Is it punishing a player for choosing to play a half-dragon if I allow him to reskin the dragonborn racial stats to bring him in line with the other PCs instead of giving him the full half-dragon template simply because that's what he chose to play? Is it punishing a player who wants to play a Doppleganger for allowing her to play a Changeling from the Eberron Unearthed Arcana instead of giving them the full Doppleganger statistics? Flying PCs at level 1 aren't allowed in my game. If you want to play a race that normally has a flight speed anyway, you do so with the understanding that it will not have a flight speed at level 1.

Flying is just one trait, with self contained limits. Unlimited shapeshifting is... unlimited. And includes flying, because you can morph wings. Half dragons are not an issue, because they aren't really that powerful besides the breath weapon, that does a dire damage, and is no PC race. Using a dragonborn (a PC race right in the PHB) seems sensible enough for the concept of the character.

As I've said many times, this has not been my experience, and wind doesn't solve the problem because it has a completely different key.

The gate would be the same: cross the chasm at level 5th. You would also need other keys also, such as dealing with the wind first, and then flying to the destination. Fly would still be a key to the conflict, if you ever enlight me with a problem solved by one creature flying that cannot be accomplished by a familiar.

See above. If this isn't a problem for you, do whatever you want. Fact is, flying at 1st level is a problem in my games, it is absolutely self contained, practical, and solved by banning flying races, not by wind.

I do. And so do you. I'm sorry for you if they are such a big deal in your games. But you suggested a massive nerf if someone insists on playing one such character. I suggest using the rules as they currently are.

As I see this conversation, I stated why I don't allow races with flight speed at level 1 in my games. Those reasons had exactly zero to do with how impressive the things you can do with a bird person is or is not, and my solution is not ribboning, it's straight-up banning. And you persist in trying to give me solutions to problems I don't have and argue that I shouldn't be running the game the way I do because of some nonsense about punishing players for making choices I don't allow.

I read the reasons, and I find them petty and easily solved. You said "unrestricted flying", and I've said that it isn't unrestricted, that there are a lot of baked in restrictions. There are only corner cases where this could be a real problem: only if you need the players to have a fly spell at a very specific level, because you can't "gate" them if they don't, even when you didn't give any problem that wouldn't still be a problem past level 5, or that cannot be solved by a familiar.

And you are in your right to ban races, if you want. I usually ban drows because I find them stupid and racist. But then you said you allow them by nerfing them to near uselessness, because... you feel pity? You bring the necessity to ban races or nerfing them because you can't deal with a flying creature prior to level 5th.

As Angry says "you can play your game in any wrong way you want". I assume that you read its about gating and if you don't, i highly recommend you to read it. It is harder to make effective gates in TTRPGs, and much more making them elegant and not as arbitrary.

Last edited:

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis

You're playing D&D, not a Metroidvania

You can't sequence break when you're the GM and its your call if something is there or not

Anywho, I've long since established I have no problem with Arrakoa because of a childhood of playing Shining Force. You still need the rest of your party to accomplish anything in particular, so leaving them behind is just going to get you murdered

Also they were dang cool in Warcraft. Sun/darkness worshipping bird culture, heck yeah

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

Just how many gates do you place that require fly to be passed by? As you put it, it seems like the only one. Also, Fly is a Concentration spell that gives one creature the ability to fly, not the whole party. And its level three, so the same problem persists at level 5. You could theoretically bypass it with a classical party of four (wizard, rogue, cleric, fighter) at about level 11.

I'm still trying to figure out what his impossible flying gates actually are. Cliffs? Canyons? Towers? I don't see how these are flying-only solutions.

Erechel

Explorer
I'm still trying to figure out what his impossible flying gates actually are. Cliffs? Canyons? Towers? I don't see how these are flying-only solutions.

I think something like a flying moat in the FR? A flying city? In both cases I can think of ways to circumvent the necessity of the Fly spell. I'm thinking on gnomes constructing balloons to reach them, or elves with griffons (as in Dragonlance). In an old party of AD&D, a friend of mine used its whip to mount a flying drake, and when griffons attaked a zeppelin in which they were, they just jumped mid air and tried to mount them. Fun times with that rogue. He was pretty heroic and cunning.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
I think something like a flying moat in the FR? A flying city? In both cases I can think of ways to circumvent the necessity of the Fly spell. I'm thinking on gnomes constructing balloons to reach them, or elves with griffons (as in Dragonlance). In an old party of AD&D, a friend of mine used its whip to mount a flying drake, and when griffons attaked a zeppelin in which they were, they just jumped mid air and tried to mount them. Fun times with that rogue. He was pretty heroic and cunning.

Good, old-fashioned grappling hook tied to a long-enough length of rope and a solid throw can circumvent that easily.

About the only flying-required gating I can think of that can't be bypassed by a first level party with a bit of creativity are ones that are beyond what a creature like an Aarakocra could fly to anyway. And quite possibly beyond what even the Fly spell could reach.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Flying is a weak gate because:

1) At level 1, a familiar can carry a grappling hook up the cliff/across the chasm, with a very long rope attached. This allows them to traverse gaps that are too far to throw a grappling hook. If the rope is long enough, the familiar might even loop it around something and come back with it.

2) At level 2, a druid can turn into a creature with a climb speed. This negates most cliffs as an issue. Now the DM can rule that a super sheer cliff can't be climbed, but it would have to be solid flat stone; if there are any grooves at all, a climbing animal will scamper right up there.

3) If the DM rules that an animal familiar can't set a grappling hook, not even if it succeeds on an ability check, then at level 3 a warlock can get an imp or quasit familiar that can certainly do it.

4) Also at level 3: levitate, spider climb, misty step.

So, really, by level 3 the party can probably navigate cliffs and chasms, and possibly earlier. There may be risks involved, like falling off the rope or getting attacked mid-climb, but those apply equally when the party has a flying PC.

This is just the reality of trying to run a "Metroidvania" style dungeon in an RPG. Given enough time and resources, the party can simply dig/cut/dissolve their way through most obstacles, if they really want to.

The secret is to not rely on gates, but enticements. If the party has to choose between climbing a treacherous cliff or simply walking down a hall, give them reason to suspect that their quest goal is down the hall.

Remove ads