• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Flying Races?

Races for PCs, well, I am not sure, but about races for NPCs, yes, there are several races, one of them is Dragons. Check the "Monsters as Races" section of the DMG 3.5, at page 172. Also, if you choose a humanoid race of Large size, you can add the Half-Dragon template, and it will have wings.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Being able to fly is enough for +1 LA automatically. There are no LA+0 creatures that can fly. There may be some exceptions for creatures that must spend feats or gain class levels in order to fly, e.g. Sprytes from Arcana Unearthed or Favoured Soul.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Lensman said:
Are there any published D&D races that can fly as a natural ability? Thanks in advance. :)
The Avariel is a winged elf in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. I don't know the particulars of the race, though, except that it has wings and can fly.

Last edited:

CronoDekar

First Post
Avariel (statted in Races of Faerun) can indeed fly, but it has LA +3. As Dr. Awkward said, the natural ability to fly is something that is considered to always grant LA. Races of the Wild looks like it's going to have a flying race (raptorans), but considering the goliath and illumian they're probably going to have LA +1.

boolean

Explorer
Races of Faerun also has the Outsider Wings feat, which gives an aasimar or tiefling (both LA +1) wings. However, due to prerequisites, it generally cannot be taken until 6th level.

It can be taken at third if the prerequisite feat, Celestial/Fiendish bloodline is taken at first. This requires that the first level be a class with all good saves, such as monk or favored soul.

Last edited:

If you don´t need to fly now, at once, the faen race from Arcana Unearthed (soon to be Arcana Evolved) might be a good choice. At 3rd level, you can spend a feat to "learn" flying, and from then on can take up to 3 racial levels that (among other things) improve your maneuverability.

I believe the d20 Future book (for D20 Modern games) included a race that had a special glide power, that wasn´t exactly flying, but allowed a low ECL (I believe 0 or 1).

Maybe it would help if you specify what you want to do to with the race or character?

Lensman

First Post
I am working on races for a homebrew world and I wanted to see if a ECL 0 flying race was possible.

Is there any race building rules or tool kit around anywhere?

Last edited:

Remove ads