Fochlucan Lyrist build help

TanisFrey

First Post
The RAW in Champions of Valor says " Bonus Languages: As region, plus any one (including dead languages)."

To support this, the Loremaster PrC also has "Bonus Languages A loremaster can choose any new language at 4th and 8th level" also with no qualifiers/ exceptions. A Loremaster is free to teach anyone she chooses and would be very likely to hang out at a Bardic Collage.

We admitted its cheesy in the original post... but to quote Oots, "I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purposes."
I may have to steal this. I am playing in a FR game. The character is a Bard 1/Cleric 6 (of Sharess)/Half-elf Paragon 3/Divine Disciple 4. I was planing to complete the Divine Disciple and Human Paragon then was unsure of where to go. This could open up her having more bard levels. Depending if the DM will lose-en the armor restrictions for a non-druid in the class. And if I can meet the skill requirements. She needs to gain an additional 7 ranks of decipher script, 4 of diplomacy, 7 of gather info, 7 ranks of knowledge (nature), 6 in sleight of hand. Not to mention changing alignment by 1 step.

All tho I was looking at making her a Prestige Paladin of Freedom. Much easier to meet the skill and feat requirements. She need an additional knowledge (nobility) 2 ranks, and ride 4 ranks and Mounted Combat. Much easier to meet that Fochlucan Lyrist.

It would make her the second such paladin in the party but of a second god. The first is a Prestige Paladin of Freedom whom serves Sune.

arcseed

First Post
Some more thoughts on the build: The cleric version is a lot better, if you can convince your DM. Divine metamagic, the extra domain spell, and the generally better spell list are big boosts, and you don't really get the best features of being a druid. The one thing you might miss is the fort-save targeting druid spells. IIRC, the cleric spell list is heavily will-targeting, like the bard list.

If you go cleric, get the feat allowing the bard to cast in medium armor with no spell failure, for your mithril full plate.

You might give up Knowledge Devotion-- you won't have the actions to spare to do anything but cast spells in combat anyway.

As for mobile spellcasting-- I'm not sure. You might not need it with the 60' fly speed, but if the campaign is going to be that dangerous, you may spend a lot of time in combat rushing around casting revivify (or the druid equivalent). It really sucks when you need to revive your friend this round to keep him from losing a level, and one move action isn't quite enough.

Any remaining feats I'd spend to improve your casting-- that is what you'll be doing most of the time.

One more thing: If there's a way to sneak in a level of Sublime Chord before you start taking Lyrist levels, that would be really, really good. With the extra 2 hd, you can get the 13 listen before level 10, but that is a lot more skill points, and I think you'd have to significantly rework things to get arcane casting 3. So it probably doesn't work.

Last edited:

Lady Sabelle

First Post
Some more thoughts on the build: The cleric version is a lot better, if you can convince your DM.

I totally agree. It's the way I really want to go. I just put the Druid build out there just in case I can't run the Cleric build, and to show that it's possible without all the cheese. I prefer to have a back up build complete in case the DM says NO on game day, so as not to slow down the group.

If you go cleric, get the feat allowing the bard to cast in medium armor with no spell failure, for your mithril full plate.

With Cloistered Cleric I don't get medium armor proficiency and as a Tiny flying creature with a 6 Str, and the Free Spirited Flaw I cant afford the 2.5 lbs mithril full plate.(That's half my light load right there!) AND I've got a 28 Dex so I don't want to lose the +9 to AC. But it was a good thought.

Any remaining feats I'd spend to improve your casting-- that is what you'll be doing most of the time.

Any suggestions on what those feats might be?

Lady Sabelle

First Post
One more thing: If there's a way to sneak in a level of Sublime Chord before you start taking Lyrist levels, that would be really, really good. With the extra 2 hd, you can get the 13 listen before level 10, but that is a lot more skill points, and I think you'd have to significantly rework things to get arcane casting 3. So it probably doesn't work.

Yeah I looked at Sublime Chord. Only way to do it is with Alternative Source Spell Feat. And I'd lose another level of Cleric. I don't know how the sudden access to 4th and 5th level spells would work...
Sample Bard spell per day:
1st: 4
2nd: 2
3rd: 0
4th: 3
5th: 2

That's just too weird!!!

arcseed

First Post
With Cloistered Cleric I don't get medium armor proficiency and as a Tiny flying creature with a 6 Str, and the Free Spirited Flaw I cant afford the 2.5 lbs mithril full plate.(That's half my light load right there!) AND I've got a 28 Dex so I don't want to lose the +9 to AC. But it was a good thought.

Oh, right. Oops. I'm used to dealing with more normal stat ranges.

A completely legit build with no cheese (if I understand green whisperer correctly) would be:

1-2: Bard
3: Druid
4-5: Rogue
6-10: Green Whisperer
11: Sublime Chord
12-20: Fochlucan Lyrist

This gets you skills to the necessary levels, even without the extra hit dice, gets you actual evasion, and has enough skill points as long as you have 14 int. You cast as a druid 15, bard 7, and sublime chord 10 -- which gets you 9th level sorcerer spells. Bardic Music is at level 16.

Remove ads