D&D 5E Folding boat deck plan

Im not a sailor so Im not too sure but if theres a cabin in the back wouldnt there be one on the other end or else the boat would be weighted too heavily on one end?
Not unless it is a galleon. Most small boats have cabins at either the front or the back (if they have one at all). A wooden cabin doesn't weigh much compared to the passengers and cargo, and you want the centre of gravity towards the stern since moving at speed will tend to force the bow down into the water.

I saw this on a Google search and thought it could work. The Reddit was about not working and some stuff on speed.

View attachment 122808
There is also this vessel.
Queen_-Royal-Barge_3433970b.jpg

But a barge like this is built for luxury - the weight and drag of the cabin make the vessel much slower than it would otherwise be.

Okay, so it looks like having all of the rows towards the front of the ship is an actual thing. That makes is a bit easier. I'll probably stick the cabin at the aft (and have it have recessed into the deck, so the little aft castle is only raised 4ft or so over the main deck), and have the mast in the middle of the ship.

The way I wrote it up, I made it so that there are places to attach the rowing seats, but they can be stored in a little hold under a hatch on the deck (with the anchor, oars, and any cargo) so you don't have them in the way the whole rest of the time. Most of the time you'll be using the sail rather than the oars anyway, since it's going to be faster. If you're an adventuring party you may not even have enough people to man the oars. The folding boat goes all the way back to 1e where having a bunch of hirelings to do stuff like that was normal, and isn't going to happen as often in 5e.

Remove ads