• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

For all the Drow Ranger Fans...

frankthedm

First Post
They arent that expensive...windlass makes good blades.. so there shouldn't be any doubt to their quality...
I having doubts right now. If you mean good blades as in wall hangers that won't fall apart through rough handling, i could see that. But I'd have my doubts about a licensed blade being a "good sword" for under $500.

brandt

Explorer
good functional custom sword that you depend on can run $2000-3000.
I am forging a functional Drizz't scimitar with sapphires right now.....

My custom katanas sell for 3000..... please mind you this is custom hand work.

Most mass produced collectibles are made of Stainless which makes a crappy sword that will shatter or made with a carbon steel outside the US and quaility control is lost. uneven heat treat, warpage , or worst stress fractures in the steel which will break the blade during use. I cant speak specifically about any particular companies the mass produce but I wouldn't use a collectible sword for anything but a wall hanger

Stormonu

Legend
Hey, I use my katana replica as a hedge trimmer quite often. Works well.

I may be imagining it, but hasn't a replica of Icingdeath already been done? I seem to remember one coming out about 4-5 years ago?

brandt

Explorer
You mean the katana looking NON scimitar hardly curved ones that United Cutlery / Museum Relpicas made..... Yes 4-5 years ago.

IF they would have curved then a little bit maybe made them a little wider then they would LOOK like the Todd Lockwood designs from the cover.... Not what I imagine Drizz't would carry.

brandt

Explorer
@brandt so what's your opinion on sabersmith's stuff?

Not a fan of the fit or finish of the swords. Not very tradtional looking. Just not my style. I'm not a fan of 10 series steels in swords either. I like the modern tool steel. really tough and holds a better edge. I held a few Saber Smiths a long time ago... didn't like the balance .... in capable hands they will get the job done mind you . but for the money they dont look as good as the collectible peices available [ Icingdeath ,twinkle, Glamdring etc...] A blade has to be functional , tough and old a good edge. 10 series steel makes decent knives but in my opinion not a good sword. Heres the hammer I mentioned to someone on the forum a while ago. My version of Aegis fang. I didn't put the symbols on this one nor the brass colored accent collars
CrushingForce018web.jpg

Remove ads