For those of you with ADHD, how do you organize your campaigns?

Faolyn

(she/her)
Take a look at obsidian.md. It’s free And has feature to help draw outline with what the call a canvas But look at excaladraw it’s a plug-in for obsidian there are tons of people that use it for organizing

check out these tutorials
That looks complicated but interesting.

aramis erak

Legend
I'll add that I often have, during most of my adult life, worked 3/4 time, run 3 campaigns with weekly sessions, been active at church, and been active in the SCA.

It helped a lot running games with long campaigns... the ADHD helped with not being tied to just one.
I've recently also been diagnosed with mild autism.

AD&D isn't one uniform disorder - it's a collection of some 10+ factors, of which about 2/3 are needed for diagnosis; not everyone with the diagnosis has the same ones ticked off the list of symptoms...
Also, a number of those factors are also on the autism/ASD/Aspergers lists. Until the 1990's, Autism and ADHD were exclusionary diagnoses - if you had been diagnosed with one, you couldn't be diagnosed with the other.

So, if you've ADHD/AADD/AADHD, and the approaches those of us with the same label don't work for you, don't be discouraged - it's a spectrum of related issues.

Faolyn

(she/her)
It helped a lot running games with long campaigns... the ADHD helped with not being tied to just one.
That's true. I have heard the best way to procrastinate is to have several projects going on at once, so if you get bored with one you can switch to another. So, between long campaign, MotW, converting monsters to LU over in their forum, and trying to learn inkarnate so I can make the maps for the long campaign, I'm spoiled for choice.

I've recently also been diagnosed with mild autism.
Isn't that the fun one? Just enough to make everything really hard, not enough to make it so that you could have gotten the help when you needed it. Or at least, that's what happened with me.

Also, a number of those factors are also on the autism/ASD/Aspergers lists. Until the 1990's, Autism and ADHD were exclusionary diagnoses - if you had been diagnosed with one, you couldn't be diagnosed with the other.
I managed to get ADHD and Aspergers (since I got diagnosed before the switch to the DSM-V) and have been told by several psychologists (although I haven't been formally diagnosed) that I probably have OCD as well. So, y'know, fun all around.

demoss

Explorer
I was diagnosed less than two years ago, but have been running games for over three decades. Before the diagnosis, I ran my games, including some long campaigns mostly as improvisation on top of worldbuilding.

KEY: figure out what helps and hinders you, not some generic recipient of advice. I mean, I have my own advice below, but people are different and ADHD symptoms vary as well. Play to your strengths and cover your weaknesses, not someone else's.

In my case, for improv support I evolved a method very similar to the "Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master". I tried to explain how to evolve it in Fudge Factor way back when:

https://web.archive.org/web/2003080...gefactor.org/2003/04/01/little_is_enough.html

...but didn't really explain the method I came up with. Save yourself some trouble, read the "Return", just keep in mind that while the advice is excellent, you need to make sure it is right for youself.

For worldbuilding homebrew or store bought didn't really matter: what mattered was reading and writing private notes, until I had a vibrant and dynamic model of the world in my head. Those notes didn't really matter after the fact: writing them helped build the model, but the model is what was important, not what I wrote down. The model allowed me to easily figure out reprecussions for player's actions, and come up with "what's it like there", "what complications could arise", "what do different rulers want, and how do they go about it", etc. (This is really improv support as well, just of the Huge Effort Up-Front -variety.)

Specific recommendations:

- Meds. I know everyone doesn't get a huge benefit from meds, but if you do, oh boy.

- Only stuff that happens is real. If it hasn't happened at the table, it hasn't happened and is purely speculative, not canon of any kind, even if the campaign guide spends 100 pages on it and you've written twice that as fan fiction.

- Session notes and post-session thinking over pre-session prep. During-session notes and post-session thinking is super valuable. IMO far more important than any specific pre-session prep. What happened in last session? What consequences does it have in-world? What consequences does it have at-table? (Did players really like / hate something? Did they come to any conclusions - right or wrong? Do they need a win, or a hard challenge?)

- Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, and Sly Flourish's blog / youtube channel. I highly recommend the videos where he preps for his games, warts and all: I wish more people made things like that. Esp. Secrets and Clues is gold.

- Obsidian.md for notetaking. Don't go crazy with plugins, though. Learn the basics and only if you find yourself constantly missing for piece of functionality, then go get the plugin. These days if I could not use Obsidian I would probably make notes on paper and stick them in a binder instead of using another program.

- All session notes in one big file. For me it is much, much better to keep entire campaign's worth of session notes (prep, during, and post-notes) all in a single file, latest session at the top. That way if I've missed the prep, I can just open the file and everything that has happened is in there. Copy-paste NPC descriptions from below when you need them, etc. With Obsidian it might be tempting to make on file per session, or dozens of small ones. For me this is way better. I use Obsidian's linking features to link campaign notes to the session note file for easy reference. If I need to update a campaign note, I do it outside the game.

- Item ids. When you hand your players an item (especially if you just came up with and have no clue what it is): (1) Give it an id, write the item and location down with the id: "Q27: Broken longsword found in Zelligar's quarters." I use one letter for the adventure / location, and a running number. Keeps the numbers shorter. (2) Tell the players the id: "Ok, you stow the ancient looking broken longword: write down it's Q27." (3) Post-game you can add more details to the items if you need to. I sometimes do, but mostly not. (4) Later when the item comes up, you will know where it came from, and you can use that to decide if it's interesting or not, and how. Example: "The buyer is looking very excited and identifies it as one of a pair of longswords made for Zelligar by a legendary smith. 'I never believed the story, but seeing this sword is real, let me tell you what I know about the other one...'" This works especially well coupled with Secrets and Clues method by Sly Flourish, creating callbacks and connections throughout the campaign without needing to build them up-front. The stuff they picked up is the important stuff, the stuff they didn't pick up won't generally speaking matter. (Exceptions yeah yeah.)

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I have not been diagnosed with ADHD, but this is still a great thread even for me!

Specific recommendations:

- Session notes and post-session thinking over pre-session prep. During-session notes and post-session thinking is super valuable. IMO far more important than any specific pre-session prep. What happened in last session? What consequences does it have in-world? What consequences does it have at-table? (Did players really like / hate something? Did they come to any conclusions - right or wrong? Do they need a win, or a hard challenge?)

This is what I do, although I had never thought of it that way. I try to read the last session recap the day before or day of the next session and then think what sorts of things this next session should I try to bring to bear. I might jot down a note or two. Oh, also on the notes thing, i do write at the end of any session under a constantly updating header "Next Session" any adventure specific stat that we tend to forget. Like they have an NPC, and none of the players seem to be able to keep track of her HP, so now I'm doing it. Same with their spell slots as Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan does not encourage long rests; but I have this unproven feeling that Roll20 sometimes refreshes spell slots between sessions. I might write a sentence about what the players were talking about doing at the end of the session.

Here's an example
1708025581562.png

- Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master, and Sly Flourish's blog / youtube channel. I highly recommend the videos where he preps for his games, warts and all: I wish more people made things like that. Esp. Secrets and Clues is gold.

Got a birthday coming up, sounds like I need to ask for this as a gift :)

- Obsidian.md for notetaking. Don't go crazy with plugins, though. Learn the basics and only if you find yourself constantly missing for piece of functionality, then go get the plugin. These days if I could not use Obsidian I would probably make notes on paper and stick them in a binder instead of using another program.

I currently just use a Google doc. I have used Notion before for various things; but I just keep coming back to a simple word processor. In what way is Obsidian an improvement?

- All session notes in one big file. For me it is much, much better to keep entire campaign's worth of session notes (prep, during, and post-notes) all in a single file, latest session at the top. That way if I've missed the prep, I can just open the file and everything that has happened is in there. Copy-paste NPC descriptions from below when you need them, etc. With Obsidian it might be tempting to make on file per session, or dozens of small ones. For me this is way better. I use Obsidian's linking features to link campaign notes to the session note file for easy reference. If I need to update a campaign note, I do it outside the game.

As above, a Google doc. However, I have been putting most recent sessions at the bottom. I think it's time to start to put them at the top - after 40+ sessions, it's getting a bit long 📜

- Item ids. When you hand your players an item (especially if you just came up with and have no clue what it is): (1) Give it an id, write the item and location down with the id: "Q27: Broken longsword found in Zelligar's quarters." I use one letter for the adventure / location, and a running number. Keeps the numbers shorter. (2) Tell the players the id: "Ok, you stow the ancient looking broken longword: write down it's Q27." (3) Post-game you can add more details to the items if you need to. I sometimes do, but mostly not. (4) Later when the item comes up, you will know where it came from, and you can use that to decide if it's interesting or not, and how. Example: "The buyer is looking very excited and identifies it as one of a pair of longswords made for Zelligar by a legendary smith. I never believed the story, but seeing this sword is real, let me tell you what I know about the other one..." This works especially well coupled with Secrets and Clues method by Sly Flourish, creating callbacks and connections throughout the campaign without needing to build them up-front. The stuff they picked up is the important stuff, the stuff they didn't pick up won't generally speaking matter. (Exceptions yeah yeah.)
🤯 wow - this is an amazingly good idea! Going to steal this for sure

Remove ads