• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forced Movement into Walls

Lansolyn

First Post
Hello Everyone,

Can one creature push another into a wall's square with a forced movement effect?

Example:

WWWWW
........M..
........F..

W=Fire Wall
M = Monster
F = Fighter or other character

Firewall states that the effect is: You conjure a wall that consists of contiguous squares filled with arcane fire. It can be up to 8 squares long and up to 4 squares high. The wall lasts until the end of your next turn. Any creature that starts its turn adjacent to the wall takes 1d6 + INT modifier fire damage. If a creature moves into the wall's space or starts its turn there, the creature takes 3d6 + INT modifier fire damage. Entering a square occupied by the wall costs 3 extra squares of movement. The wall blocks line of sight.

Question 1: Can Fighter use a forced movement (push, slide, or pull) effect with 4 squares of movement to put the Monster INTO the wall of fire therefore causing 3d6+[caster's int mod] damage?

Question 2: Can the Monster be teleported into the wall of fire by using 1 square of teleport movement?

Any input would be appreciated

Kordeth

First Post
Yes to both, although depending on how legalistically you read the hazardous terrain rules in the DMG, the target should get a save to fall prone in the last safe square instead of being forced into fiery doom automatically.

enigma5915

Explorer
I believe that forced movement ignores dificult terrain. So it would only take a 1 square push or slide to put the monster in the fire, but it would get a save vs being forced to enter a dangerous square.

Mahali

Explorer
I believe that forced movement ignores dificult terrain. So it would only take a 1 square push or slide to put the monster in the fire, but it would get a save vs being forced to enter a dangerous square.

Fire Wall specifically says "Entering a square occupied by the wall costs 3
extra squares of movement." which also applies to forced movement.

Blizzardb

First Post
About the save - I wrote to customer support and they've said quite confidently that Wall of Fire and similar powers do not count as hindering terrain and you get no save when pushed or slid into them.

On the other hand Mike Mearls wrote on twitter that their group plays it with a save.

Take your pick. Personally I prefer the no-save ruling.

fuzzlewump

First Post
Fire Wall specifically says "Entering a square occupied by the wall costs 3
extra squares of movement." which also applies to forced movement.
But forced movement is not affected by difficult terrain, which costs 1 extra square of movement. Maybe the 2 extra squares makes it entirely different, but I'm guessing not.

enigma5915

Explorer
I beleive that walking through a wall of fire would be considerd difficult. All though it states that "Entering a square occupied by the wall costs 3 extra squares of movement." That would still make it difficult, just more so. The whole line about "Forced movement isn't hindered by difficult terrain" pretty much covers that. I do not believe that a special rule is needed for every type of terrain. And anytime you are forced into a hazardous square, you get a save. Customer service, has had a pretty bad track record.

Flipguarder

First Post
Just because you believe that walking through a wall of fire would be considered difficult, that does not mean that the rules regarding difficult terrain apply to it. If it wanted to be difficult terrain as laid out in the rules, it would say so.

keterys

First Post
Wall of Fire is not difficult terrain. Many other powers _are_ in fact difficult terrain (like Icy Terrain) and forced movement does quite conveniently bypass those.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads