Forge of War

Tzarevitch

First Post
Anyone know what's up with this product? Is it due to be released on time? WotC produced a mere peep about it and that is starting to become disconcerting, especially since it is due out in about a week. I have really been looking foreward to the book. The silence about it from WoTC however has been deafening and that is never a good sign. All we got from the last preview is "I got nothing." There are even tidbits out on products that come out after this one so why the silence on this one?

Tzarevitch

P.S. I am asking if anyone KNOWS any facts about what is in the book beyond the almost-nothing that WotC has already posted, not if anyone can state guesses about it. :)

Thanks,

Tzarevitch

Grymar

Explorer
I wish I knew something. This is on my "wait and see" list. If it is just dealing with history, then I probably won't get it, but if it has a number of bits that can be brought forward to the present, then I will probably get it in a month or so.

Enforcer

Explorer
I just hope it has lots of details about the Last War. Fluff over crunch. I want to know the mottos for the various units, what colors they wore, flags, officers, heroes, medals, pretty much pure fluff. I think that'd be fascinating.

Glyfair

Explorer
I know Ari is excited about it, he says his work on it was even better than his work on Faiths of Eberron. It has a strong writing staff.

Yeah, I haven't heard much about it either, and I'm really excited about this book, more so than City of Stormreach, though not as much as Dragons of Eberron. I'm kind of curious, too, as to why the Official Eberron site is still promoting Eyes of the Lich Queen when The Forge of War is due soon.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Enforcer said:
I just hope it has lots of details about the Last War. Fluff over crunch. I want to know the mottos for the various units, what colors they wore, flags, officers, heroes, medals, pretty much pure fluff. I think that'd be fascinating.

All that would be cool. Personally, I'm hoping more for inclusion a "grand strategy" kind of thing. I want details on fronts, offensives, and so on. I want maps with arrows representing advances and dotted lines representing fronts and little clash symbols for battle sites. I'm *hoping* what's shown makes military sense, too.

What we've seen so far has been mixed. We've seen that in general, Cyre and Thrane were allied against the other nations, but that the alliances changed, and calling Aundair and Karrnath allied would be an error. However, there was also a mention in Five Nations that had Karrnath driving through Cyre to open a front against Breland, which is so completely insane that I don't feel that I have to explain why.

Sadly, I don't know anything more about the release than Tzarevitch. :(

Brad

takasi

First Post
I don't want detailed troops movement, just the main battles for character backgrounds. Also some of the devices of war (weapon, artifacts and so forth), prestige classes for exotic troops throughout Khorvaire, war-time infusions and spells and finally a bunch of plot hooks. Also, more details on nations forged from the Last War (Valenar, Darguun, Droamm and the Reaches).

Glyfair

Explorer
cignus_pfaccari said:
All that would be cool. Personally, I'm hoping more for inclusion a "grand strategy" kind of thing. I want details on fronts, offensives, and so on. I want maps with arrows representing advances and dotted lines representing fronts and little clash symbols for battle sites. I'm *hoping* what's shown makes military sense, too.

I hope we get very little of that.

IMO, this book should be about adventures in that period, rather than running some sort of a "fight the war like a general" type of book.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Glyfair said:
IMO, this book should be about adventures in that period, rather than running some sort of a "fight the war like a general" type of book.

Why on earth would we want to "fight the war like a general"?

All that I mentioned above would be vital to placing adventures in that time period ("We've just received intelligence that the Aundairian 12th Corps has left their depot. Delay them."). It would also be handy for adventures in the modern day, to set up background.

Brad

Exactly, I see this as a story-driven book that can utilize the material presented in Heroes of Battle. The detailing of strategies and tactics used during the Last War wouldn't be for players to use them, but for DMs to create adventures and encounters around them.

I also anticipate some tellings of significant battles for the purposes of backgrounds or set ups for scenarios during the war or for the purpose of creating background stories after the war. Imagine revisiting the site of a major battle and being able to build an exploratory adventure that tells the story of that battle or using the outcome of that battle as the foundation for a quest.

Remove ads