• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forgotten Realms - 3000 AD

Hairfoot

First Post
Or similar.

For some time I've been searching in vain for a modern-fantasy campaign setting. I've looked at Dragonstar, Shadowrun, and Urban Arcana, but none of them float my boat.

So, my question is: what would the Forgotten Realms look like with the tech level ramped up a bit? I’m thinking battlefields with dwarf tanks versus nimble elf aircraft, hordes of orcs armed with backyard blunderbusses, halfling scout/snipers, hobgoblin paratroops, and PCs with enchanted dwarvencraft submachine guns.

Actually, that's more like a description of WH40K before it got all serious and dropped Squats, but I’m thinking of a more contemporary tech level, equivalent perhaps to World War 1 or 2.

Can anyone recommend a suitable setting I’ve missed, or suggest setting details and concepts that might help with building such a thing?

Also, if any of the WotC design staff happens to read this, let it be known that I would lap up this kind of published material with a Bohemian ear spoon.

Rabelais

First Post
Wasn't there a Dragon magazine article that was set to Greyhawk 2000? Sounded kind of fun. Would love to play something like that myself. :)

Eltharon

Explorer
Yeah, there was...but it sold out a while ago. There's a copy at my library, luckily, but maybe you could find it online.
As I recall, the main weapon was this gun that sent its bullet back in time so it could gain more speed, before going out of the barrel and into the target in a very fast, painful fashion. I never liked that (I hate time travel, even if its only bullets), so I would personally change it to something else.

Pell-Mell

First Post
The article mentioned in the previous posts was "Greyhawk 2000" and is in Dragon Magazine #277. You can download it here. In addition, there was a companion adventure in Dungeon Magazine #83 called "Alterations". This Dungeon issue does not appear to be available to download from Paizo.

I am not that familiar with the Forgotten Realms, so I can't help you specifically with what a future version would look like. I can provide some suggestions for embedding some modern elements into D&D from a rules perspective though.

For newer skills and feats for my D&D/modern hybrid setting, I took a look at the d20 Modern SRD to see what I could scavenge. I took the Drive skill (as my D&D/modern hybrid has cars and such) as well as several of the feats for other vehicles. I also made up a new skill called Knowledge (Technologica) to cover modern technologies.

For firearms, I have used Monte Cook's Firearms Rules. They fit well into the D&D system and their high damage and criticals make them a force to be reckoned with. I also used the option of making them simple weapons, so they can be used by just about anyone.

To handle vehicles, particularly cars, I use the book Hot Pursuit: The Definitive d20 Guide to Chases by Scratch Factory. For me they are easier to run than the standard Modern d20 rules for vehicles and lend a very cinematic touch to the game. Also, they really give the PC with ranks in Drive a chance to shine.

evildmguy

Explorer
I think that's tough because I don't see their tech tree going the same as earth, because of magic. So, maybe you go to some sort of steam punk or some game where magic and technology have evolved together?

Chaostech?

d20 Modern in FR? Maybe take the classes and ideas from Urban Arcana but put them in your FR?

Again, the problem is verismilitude. Things don't stay the same, so how do you figure out where the nations are? Maybe divide the place up based on whatever you want, and give 'em "modern" tech?

Good luck!

edg

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Pell-Mell said:
The article mentioned in the previous posts was "Greyhawk 2000" and is in Dragon Magazine #277. You can download it here. In addition, there was a companion adventure in Dungeon Magazine #83 called "Alterations". This Dungeon issue does not appear to be available to download from Paizo.
Thanks I had forgotten which issue that was in. I'm definetely buying the PDF.

Hairfoot

First Post
Thanks for that, Pell-mell.

Those are exactly the challenges I'm struggling with, evildmguy. I'm looking for a steampunk feeling and style, if anyone can recommend something in that vein.

Frukathka said:
I think the Second World Sourcebook would also be a good resource for this type of game.
I had a look, but it's still got the cross-over-of-worlds thing I'm trying to avoid. That is, the characters and technology move between worlds which are respectively pure fantasy and pure real world. I'm trying to concoct a setting that has both intrinsically.

Hairfoot

First Post
WarlockLord said:
If you want to do space stuff, you could adapt spelljammer.
A good suggestion. I loved the style of Shadows of the Spider moon, and I wish it had been expanded into a full book. I want to create a terrestrial setting which is more concerned with, for example, the underdark than outer space, but it's a good place to start.

Remove ads