D&D 5E Forgotten Realms canon question

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
It's not just a matter of taste though. It's a matter of fact. There is no one at WotC keeping track of some "canon" version of FR. They are quite happy to allow the publication of stories and adventures that make contradictory assumptions about earlier events, and they are all equally true/not true.

There actually is, Mike Mearls specifically mentioned on a stream once that they have a book or binder somewhere that keeps track of everything important that needs to be considered canon, that they return to often when writing for FR.

That said, just because that is true doesn't mean they aren't open to changing things if it contradicts canon. Clearly "is it fun" matters more to their writers than "is it canon," like the changing of the first archdevil being Zariel instead of Bel.

dave2008

Legend
That said, just because that is true doesn't mean they aren't open to changing things if it contradicts canon. Clearly "is it fun" matters more to their writers than "is it canon," like the changing of the first archdevil being Zariel instead of Bel.
That has changed several times though. I mean Tiamat was the first ruler of Avernus back in 1e. Also, that change was something that happened, not just a retcon. Then Zariel took over from Tiamat, who was then Betrayed by Bel who took control, and then Zariel got control back. So it really wasn't a change so much as continuing the story.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
That has changed several times though. I mean Tiamat was the first ruler of Avernus back in 1e. Also, that change was something that happened, not just a retcon. Then Zariel took over from Tiamat, who was then Betrayed by Bel who took control, and then Zariel got control back. So it really wasn't a change so much as continuing the story.

I did read both MtoF and DiA, and the way it is written seems to imply that Zariel was never dethroned, and that it was simply retconned back to Zariel being in charge. It's a matter of interpretation though.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I use Canon to set the history behind my adventure / campaign. Whether it be a timeline of relevant FR events, a short essay on Eberron's Last War, or an 'Intro to Dark Sun'. The players can start with an understanding of what / who is important, where to find allies (or enemies), supply bases, and so on.
But from the moment play begins, canon fades into the background. If you want to take down Iuz the Evil and kill him dead for permanent, go for it. Your Greyhawk will never be the same as anybody else's, but what a Bardic Tale !

Remove ads