D&D 5E [Forgotten Realms] The Wall of the Faithless

RotGrub

First Post
In a world with D&D alignment, anything that prevents a Good character from having a Good afterlife is pretty much by definition abominable and cruel. D&D is a game of heroic fantasy (and FR especially so), so being a hero should be what the setting cares about. It's what FR normally seems to care about. It's what alignment encourages you to care about. But it's not what the Wall would have you care about.

I don't understand why the setting should be concerned at all. Evil faithless and good faithless share the same fate which seems balanced to me. After all, why shouldn't the good also be punished?

If you really want to be honest about the FR, then you need to accept the fact that the good gods have NO portfolio to judge the dead. Even if they considered it to be unjust, as you do, there is nothing they can do about it. Historically, that portfolio was held by evil gods (Jergal, Myrkul, Cyric) and now it's held by the LN kelemvor. Give me one reason why Kelemvor shouldn't also punish the good equally? How many enemies will he make if he did that? Even if the gods had a vote on it the "good" gods would be outnumbered. I even suspect that a few LG gods might consider having no faith to be a crime anyway.

Last edited:

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
A thought occurs.

Those that fought and died against the Vikings wouldn't go to Valhalla. Or if they did it would be an awful shock to Early Christian Englishmen.

So those that deny the pantheon don't go to that pantheon's afterlife. So if someone denies the FR pantheon, why would they go to that pantheon's afterlife?

That's one of the things questioned in Erin Evans' blog: http://slushlush.com/2015/05/on-playing-a-dragonborn-in-forgotten-realms-part-2/

In this case is seems to be partially dependent on the fact that Dragonborn come from a different planet. But what's been written already supports this:

According to Realms lore, particularly from the 2nd Ed and later, the strength of the Gods is dependent upon the faith of their followers. Faith is by definition a personal choice, so faith by magical coercion (charm spells) wouldn't count, but faith by fear does. If faith applies equally, then fearing a good God is as helpful as fearing an evil God.

A single person isn't enough 'faith power' to sustain a God. But a large enough group is, which means that the Dragonborn, or another society of sufficient size, can have their own pantheon. Prior evidence to this is with all of the monstrous and demo-human deities. There are also 'immigrant' Deities from other realms. According to Faiths and Pantheons, only Ao has the ability to determine if a being is divine (a God), and grants that power. One could extrapolate that the Fugue Plain also cannot be changed by anything less powerful than Ao, although it's also possible it existed before him.

Based on how things are described to date, I think it's very possible (likely) that large groups of faithful can import or raise a new God. It still requires Ao's involvement (of which the faithful are not aware), but I don't think that they can have an alternate afterlife. Otherwise I think that the other races would already go to some other afterlife (although if I recall there are a few novels that contradict the Fugue Plain design...War of the Spider Queen maybe?).

--

As to the wall being evil - didn't Kelemvor originally eliminate the wall, but then learned about the damage that caused and changed it to only be constructed of the faithless? It's been a long time since I've read those novels.

--

I commented a bit earlier about the faithless, and the nature of 'good' Gods. First, there's a definition of good. First, oppression is defined as evil, but suffering in and of itself is not. Suffering due to just judgement would also not be viewed as evil by most, if not all, of the good Gods. Mortal individuals are free to believe in what they wish. There are consequences to that belief, but that in an of itself is also not evil. It's just the way the Forgotten Realms cosmology works, part of its natural laws.

In addition, a non-faithful in a given Gods realm is most likely a danger (however small) to that God. At the very least, it would appear that based on the way the cosmology is constructed, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, for a God (or their agents) to collect a soul that is not 'theirs' based on the faith of the soul. Most of them probably feel that it's Kelemvor's problem to deal with, and he can handle it as he wishes. Regardless, they most likely have no power to change it themselves if they wanted to, and having all of the good Gods band together is extremely unlikely because you'd be assuming all of the good Gods are against the wall to begin with.

If a good God decided to save the souls of the faithless (assuming they could), what would they do with them? What could they do with them? Could they even bring them to their domain? What effect would the dilution of faith have on their domain? Would it set the faithless soul free to wander the planes as immortal? As interesting as that may sound, I'm not sure any of the Gods would like the prospect of millions of souls that don't believe in them - or any of the Gods for that matter. Millions of immortal atheists set free in their domains that could band together against the Gods would be potentially catastrophic to the Gods.

On the other hand if they band together in a common cause, presumably behind a common leader, would that present a potential new divine power and generate a new domain from which they would reside in the afterlife (and probably not escape). All of this could be an interesting story, but in the end would probably not change the way the Realms cosmology works, although it might eliminate the Wall and a lot of Gods.

--

Note that the concept of faith 'powering' the Gods creates the existence of the faithless by definition. If a large enough group of faithful is necessary to maintain a God, than atheists are doomed. Faith is belief IN something, not that something doesn't exist. In the Realms that faith can manifest itself in the ability to power a divine being. It would appear Ao is the final judge as to whether there is enough faith to allow a being to ascend to divinity, but it has that power. But atheists believe that the Gods don't exist, or at least aren't worthy of their worship. That's all well and good during a mortal life, but it dooms an individual in their afterlife in the Realms.

So for a person to believe there are no Gods in the Forgotten Realms is no different than a person to believe (without magical assistance) that gravity does not exist and therefor does not apply to them. They are in for a rude awakening if they choose to walk off a cliff. The only way for the atheists (faithless) to avoid that fate would be to begin a new faith in something/somebody. Which is quite a paradox. There was (still is?) a cult of Ao, but no classes gained divine powers (spells or abilities) from Ao, and it's not clarified what would happen to the dead of the cult. My guess would be they are considered the false, since they had faith, but not faith in a God with a domain, or at least one that would collect them.

The only Realms god that I think might truly have an issue with the Wall is Ilmater. If it is possible (and I'm not sure it is) one might expect the faithful souls of Ilmater to be constantly at the wall, comforting and taking on the suffering of those in the wall. Ilmater is aligned with Tyr and Torm, as well as Lathander, but Tyr and Torm would view the wall as just (probably for different reasons), and Lathander would probably not like the wall (since it doesn't offer any new beginnings), but the other deities wouldn't support Lathander in any overt attempt to modify the cosmology due to the Dawn Catalysm.

Essentially I don't have any issue with the Wall or the fate of the false or faithless. From a game design standpoint, when you begin designing a cosmology in which the Gods are dependent upon their faithful, then there will naturally arise a question of what will happen to them. In a monotheistic cosmology they are relatively easy to deal with (Hell, for example). Not only is the Realms polytheistic, but there are multiple exclusive pantheons, although with connections (because ultimately they are all part of the same cosmology).

The false and faithless could have been relegated to Hell or the Abyss, or no afterlife. Instead, they still have a choice to make for their 'sin' of non- or false belief: They can choose to become a devil or demon, or they will suffer the fate of the Wall or as an indentured servant for eternity. It may not seem like much of a choice, but they had their mortal life, in a world where they undoubtedly had time to make their own decision.

I also still think that a faithless character, if played well, would be a very interesting character in a Realms campaign, provided that the rest of the group was equally competent at playing the faithful.

Enough of my rambling for now.

Ilbranteloth

hawkeyefan

Legend
I dunno. I'm probably flogging the equine far too hard here and seeing things that aren't really an issue.

It's just that I just recently proposed a Low Magic, Sword and Sorcery campaign for Primeval Thule. First three character concepts that came back to me were a warlock devoted to the Old ones, a full on wizard and a shadow monk. It's very, very frustrating to pitch a concept, have the players say, yup, we want to play that concept, and then get concepts that are pretty much the exact opposite to the concept that you pitched.

Which is probably why I'm having a larger issue here and being less flexible. Forgotten Realms, to me at least, as it has been presented for a very long time, is deeply entrenched in faith and religion. Clerics, the gods and whatnot are bloody well everywhere and have huge impacts on the setting. The biggest events in the setting are all about the gods. Has FR actually had a large scale war or conflict that wasn't directly linked to a god or gods? Orcs hate elves because their god took out the orc god's eye. Kobolds hate gnomes because of the gods. Seven Sisters, Harpers, the group of terrorist druids whose name completely escapes me, on and on and on.

Could you play the Realms where faith and whatnot isn't a major mover and shaker? Sure, anything's possible. But, at that point, I really have to ask, why bother? Why not use a setting where that's true instead of stripping out major elements of an existing setting?

Why not let the players play who they want and see if you can make it work? Setting is a guide, it doesn't have to be as absolute as you are making it. Every piece of fantastic fiction starts with someone doing something they're not supposed to be doing...so why take that core concept away? Think about it.

"No no no...Hobbits simply do not go on adventures!"

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I don't understand why the setting should be concerned at all. Evil faithless and good faithless share the same fate which seems balanced to me. After all, why shouldn't the good also be punished?
...because they're good? Because a setting about fantasy heroics values being good? Because alignment indicates that good is...you know...a good thing to be?

The Wall is essentially saying, like Valhalla "it doesn't matter if you're good or not, it only matters if you're devoted to a deity/die in glory," which is at cross-purposes to a setting of heroic fantasy, because a setting of heroic fantasy should care if you're good or not. That's part of being a fantastic hero. FR in general seems to care, but the Wall does not. Valhalla can say that good (as we'd understand it) doesn't matter, but for the Forgotten Realms, the idea that being Good (in D&D terms) doesn't matter would be pretty novel. That's what accepting the Wall means - being Good isn't important. (That's part of why the Wall isn't comfortably compatible with a Good alignment, really - like a Paladin saying "It doesn't matter if you help each other, just eat your vegetables!")

If FR was interested in promoting some sort of non-traditional-D&D values system where something other than being Good was encouraged, it would look very different mechanically and fictionally from what it looks like now. For one, the pantheon wouldn't be nearly so haphazard.

If you really want to be honest about the FR, then you need to accept the fact that the good gods have NO portfolio to judge the dead. Even if they considered it to be unjust, as you do, there is nothing they can do about it. Historically, that portfolio was held by evil gods (Jergal, Myrkul, Cyric) and now it's held by the LN kelemvor. Give me one reason why Kelemvor shouldn't also punish the good equally? How many enemies will he make if he did that? Even if the gods had a vote on it the "good" gods would be outnumbered. I even suspect that a few LG gods might consider having no faith to be a crime anyway.
He doesn't HAVE TO punish anyone! It's up to the gods and/or Ao to have this unjust system or not, and those are all NPC's whose opinions can change - whose opinions can BE CHANGED by PCs. In a world of heroic fantasy, heroes fight injustice, which would include the Wall just as it includes the Cult of the Dragon or the Cult of Elemental Evil or the Demon Princes who invade the Underdark.

Last edited:

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
In a world with D&D alignment, anything that prevents a Good character from having a Good afterlife is pretty much by definition abominable and cruel. D&D is a game of heroic fantasy (and FR especially so), so being a hero should be what the setting cares about. It's what FR normally seems to care about. It's what alignment encourages you to care about. But it's not what the Wall would have you care about.

Alignment is inconsistently applied when it comes to religion and the cosmology of the Realms, and the defining factor in Realms cosmology, particularly in regards to the afterlife, is faith first, not alignment.

For example, Torm and the souls of his Faithful reside in Celestia, which is a lawful good plane, and all that reside there are lawful good as well. However, the rules allow clerics to be one step away in alignment. So you could have NG or LN clerics of Torm. Where would they go? Do they become lawful good in the afterlife?

The reality, is that aside from divine classes, an individual of any alignment can (and does) worship any deity. Since Realmsfolk worship all of the deities, 'evil' individuals worship good deities and vice versa. Well, worship is a strong word - they acknowledge and often whisper prayers to them, such as to say a quick prayer to Umberlee for a safe sea journey. But a lawful evil fighter could select Torm as a patron. My suspicion is that his actions will doom him as among the false.

But alignment doesn't 'encourage' anything. If you go back to earlier editions, acting out of alignment punished you. Alignment is a short-hand to describe a character or creature's beliefs and general tendency to act within a cosmologically defined axis of good and evil. It's another way (along with the personality traits system) that helps describe your character, and helps a player to understand how that character might act in a given circumstance.

In the 5th edition, not even paladins are defined by alignment. In the alignment section is says 'paladins are lawful good', but in the description of the paladin itself it says 'paladins are rarely of any evil alignment.' That highlights that adherence to the tenets of your God (or in the case of a paladin, your oath), is more important than alignment, which is as it should be in my opinion.

On the other hand, alignment is a defining characteristic of extraplanar creatures. I don't consider alignment detectable or actionable by magic on a mortal - protection from evil doesn't affect an 'evil' mortal for example (and I'm not sure I agree it affects aberrations, either. Elementals and fey I'm on the fence about), but it does affect extraplanar creatures. That's because they are defined by their alignment, it is part of their very nature. It's not something they can change or 'overcome.'

In my campaign, unless a PC specifically comes out as declaring themselves faithless (an atheist for example), or they act as false (declare a patron deity and/or belief in the Gods, but their deeds say otherwise), my assumption is that they worship the Realms pantheon as a matter of course, and that their deeds will determine which Deity will collect them from the Fugue plain. Most declare a Patron, and use that as an additional tool to help play their character.

In other words, the faithless and false are those that actively deny the Gods, or falsely acknowledge them. I might also argue that, at least in the case of the false, it is not a good act. In most faiths, blasphemy would also be considered an evil act, and in some cases the denial of the existence of the Gods themselves is considered blasphemy.

There are a great many things that could prevent a Good character from having a Good afterlife, which religions often define as sins. In the case of the Forgotten Realms, the doozy is to deny the God's very existence, no matter how Good you are. Whether you like that or not, as written it is one of the cosmological laws of the Forgotten Realms. But as noted, you are welcome to accept that or not as you'd like. Not to mention you can choose to use it or not in your campaign.

Ilbranteloth

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Alignment is inconsistently applied when it comes to religion and the cosmology of the Realms, and the defining factor in Realms cosmology, particularly in regards to the afterlife, is faith first, not alignment.
In a world where there is Good and Evil, this risks making FR afterlives deeply unjust. Because Good and Evil should matter more than your faith in a game of heroic fantasy. You FIGHT evil cults in FR, you don't ally with them to take out dragonborn heretics.

For example, Torm and the souls of his Faithful reside in Celestia, which is a lawful good plane, and all that reside there are lawful good as well. However, the rules allow clerics to be one step away in alignment. So you could have NG or LN clerics of Torm. Where would they go? Do they become lawful good in the afterlife?
If we were just going with the DMG default, they'd go to Torm's realm. First is god, then is alignment. If you have a god, go to the god. If you don't, go to the alignment. This is just - if you lived according to your gods word, your god would reward you, and if you didn't live according to any god's word, your deeds and beliefs spoke for you instead (and the fate you go to on the planes is always more than simply suffering awaiting eventual oblivion).

The reality, is that aside from divine classes, an individual of any alignment can (and does) worship any deity. Since Realmsfolk worship all of the deities, 'evil' individuals worship good deities and vice versa. Well, worship is a strong word - they acknowledge and often whisper prayers to them, such as to say a quick prayer to Umberlee for a safe sea journey. But a lawful evil fighter could select Torm as a patron. My suspicion is that his actions will doom him as among the false.
That's part of why the Wall fails, though - it rewards a devout person who massacres in Umberlee's name over a noble dragonborn who fights that evil priest.

But alignment doesn't 'encourage' anything. If you go back to earlier editions, acting out of alignment punished you. Alignment is a short-hand to describe a character or creature's beliefs and general tendency to act within a cosmologically defined axis of good and evil. It's another way (along with the personality traits system) that helps describe your character, and helps a player to understand how that character might act in a given circumstance.

In the 5th edition, not even paladins are defined by alignment. In the alignment section is says 'paladins are lawful good', but in the description of the paladin itself it says 'paladins are rarely of any evil alignment.' That highlights that adherence to the tenets of your God (or in the case of a paladin, your oath), is more important than alignment, which is as it should be in my opinion.

On the other hand, alignment is a defining characteristic of extraplanar creatures. I don't consider alignment detectable or actionable by magic on a mortal - protection from evil doesn't affect an 'evil' mortal for example (and I'm not sure I agree it affects aberrations, either. Elementals and fey I'm on the fence about), but it does affect extraplanar creatures. That's because they are defined by their alignment, it is part of their very nature. It's not something they can change or 'overcome.'
By making alignment part of your character's description, the game defines the things that it cares about your characters being. The distinction between Good and Evil and Lawful and Chaotic is important to D&D, and to FR. Faith is irrelevant to alignment, so it's not something you need to worry about writing down on your character sheet, and it doesn't affect your gameplay at all. If you want people to care about faith instead of alignment, you get a mechanic to measure that, and you get rid of alignment, because it's irrelevant.

There are a great many things that could prevent a Good character from having a Good afterlife, which religions often define as sins. In the case of the Forgotten Realms, the doozy is to deny the God's very existence, no matter how Good you are.
The nuance that this misses is that sins in monotheistic religions are against an eternal and transcendent benevolence of infinite love and immutable truth. Not against a powerful magical being. A sin that prevents you from entering Heaven isn't just giving a bearded guy in the sky a rude gesture, it's rejecting love and benevolence and eternal truth. The assorted deities of FR have no such claims to transcendence or eternal truth, they're just super-powered magical beings. Not worshiping one of them isn't rejecting anything immutably good, it's just thinking that maybe the gods aren't really all that important. The fact that you can be Good without bothering to honor any of them is evidence of that.

Whether you like that or not, as written it is one of the cosmological laws of the Forgotten Realms. But as noted, you are welcome to accept that or not as you'd like. Not to mention you can choose to use it or not in your campaign.
Part of my point is that, as written, it's clearly something villainous and wicked, as much as the Cult of the Dragon or the Drow or the Necromancers of Thay are (if not more so!).

Scribe

Legend
That's part of why the Wall fails, though - it rewards a devout person who massacres in Umberlee's name over a noble dragonborn who fights that evil priest.

Evil is just as valid an option however as Good. Drop any concept of Good/Evil, because the Wall is not either.

'It rewards the devout, over a noble, but expressly atheist?, Dragonborn who denies the gods essentially to their face.'

That is what you are really saying here. Noble doesnt matter. The most pure Paladin who denies the injustice of the Gods, DESERVES the Wall, because the devout Evil Priest? Hes Devout. He's going to chill with Bane, or Cyric.

Thats the Wall working as intended. Its not wicked. Its not evil. It is an impartial mechanism to ensure the Gods are not forgotten.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
...You FIGHT evil cults in FR, you don't ally with them to take out dragonborn heretics...

Actually, there are plenty of examples of alliances between good and evil in the Realms.

If residing in Umberlee's realm for eternity is a reward, then yes. It's not entirely clear that the dragonborn even had an afterlife before arriving in the Realms, although that doesn't help any of the rest of the faithless.

By making alignment part of your character's description, the game defines the things that it cares about your characters being. The distinction between Good and Evil and Lawful and Chaotic is important to D&D, and to FR. Faith is irrelevant to alignment, so it's not something you need to worry about writing down on your character sheet, and it doesn't affect your gameplay at all. If you want people to care about faith instead of alignment, you get a mechanic to measure that, and you get rid of alignment, because it's irrelevant.

I disagree. I see alignment as a description, not a definition, which is well supported in the current ruleset. For a PC there are virtually no rules that I'm aware of that have a direct impact based on alignment. In older editions yes. But as roleplaying matured, and the rules shifted away from the Gygaxian 'must', no.

Faith is irrelevant to alignment, and for mortal PCs largely irrelevant in the game. Although the rules have always toyed with the idea of divine characters losing abilities due to a loss of faith, it's never been really formalized. I think that's good. Despite my propensity for house rules, one of the best things about 5th edition is that they realized that they didn't need to codify and make a rule for everything.

In addition, alignment is part of D&D the game. The Forgotten Realms is a setting. It seems like a minor distinction, but it's not. The Realms have been abused because of this for some time. For example, the decision in the 4th edition to bring everything into a universal cosmology and destroying the old Realms cosmology. Heck, the invention of Ao, the Fugue Plain and the Wall (along with many other things) were due to the altering of the setting to explain the changes in the game rules.

I recently saw a thread someplace stating that they added some benefits to their house rule for being intoxicated because otherwise why would anybody want to get drunk as a PC? Huh? People get drunk because it's fun. That's it. It's called role-playing. There isn't a benefit or a game rule for every possible action one can take.

In the setting of the Forgotten Realms, the Gods derive power from their faithful. In return they provide benefits. For the very faithful this comes in the manner of spells, or special abilities. For the average faithful it's an afterlife that doesn't suck.

I, as a God, good or evil, can't save everybody. In fact, I don't have the ability to save anybody. Only through your faith can I (as a God), save you. We occasionally perform miracles, send many messengers (clerics, etc.) to spread the news, occasionally extra-special messengers (the chosen), or even take it upon ourselves to tell you directly (omens, dreams, or even appearances as an avatar).

If you choose to say, 'Nah, I don't want what you're offering,' then I can't help you. Hey, the consequences aren't always fun (and I've told you that), but we, as the Gods, CAN'T MAKE YOU DO IT. You have to choose.

You might not like it, but tough. This is the world you were born into. We don't even get to set the rules, we just have to follow them too.

Alignment comes into play only because it's the game method for helping determine if you live up to the tenets of your chosen God, among other things. Although you don't have to be the same alignment as your patron, that's the most common default. You put Torm on your piece of paper, you act all lawful goody, and occasionally make a statement like, 'by Torm's will you will die a nasty death by my good hand and suffer for all of eternity in your evil God's domain' just before you commit murder and steal their stuff.

Since the game never (usually) gets to the point of the PC's soul standing on the Fugue Plain waiting to see if somebody will collect you, there isn't any need for the DM to track your piety. You either pick up a new piece of paper, or your buddies spend some money and you're resurrected.

There's a huge difference between game and setting.

The nuance that this misses is that sins in monotheistic religions are against an eternal and transcendent benevolence of infinite love and immutable truth. Not against a powerful magical being. A sin that prevents you from entering Heaven isn't just giving a bearded guy in the sky a rude gesture, it's rejecting love and benevolence and eternal truth. The assorted deities of FR have no such claims to transcendence or eternal truth, they're just super-powered magical beings. Not worshiping one of them isn't rejecting anything immutably good, it's just thinking that maybe the gods aren't really all that important. The fact that you can be Good without bothering to honor any of them is evidence of that.

Part of my point is that, as written, it's clearly something villainous and wicked, as much as the Cult of the Dragon or the Drow or the Necromancers of Thay are (if not more so!).

And the nuance that's missing here is that it doesn't matter. Those powerful magical beings are just super-powered magical beings that have the power to choose whether to pick you up or not when you arrive at the eternal bus stop. Yes you can do all the good you want in the world. But in the Realms that's not enough. You have to acknowledge the good in somebody's name. It's quite possible that one of those somebody's could lay claim that you have done enough of the kind of good that they care about and pick you up from the Fugue Plain.

But if you go around doing all that good, while at the same time yelling, 'look at all this good I'm doing, and there are no Gods and I'm doing this by myself,' then you might have a problem.

You learn that, fair or not, you get the Wall if you have no faith. You know the rules. You can choose to go against the rules. But please don't. Really, don't. Because we can't help then.

We've got a bunch of natural laws. You know, like gravity. And fire burns. You can't breathe water. Stuff like that. Magic can help with a lot of them, but not all of them. Also, I can only take you home with me if you tell me you want to. You can't just say it, mind you. You have to mean it. You know, with your actions, what you do in life. Not just when you're actually looking at the damn wall and say, 'oh, I didn't really think this through. You weren't kidding were you?'

All you have to do is acknowledge that we're more powerful than you. We're more important. That should be pretty evident. We can just squash you, you know. You'd have no defense. Oh, and we grant spells to millions. Can you do that? No? Yeah, there are others that can that aren't as powerful as us. We can squash them too. Well, most of them.

Kidding aside, I just see it as a just consequence with the way the cosmology is set up. Again, the Gods themselves have little or no control over the actual cosmology. But the judgement is simple, you have to believe in something. And again, all kidding aside, I still think that if you believe in something, even if you don't attribute it to a specific deity, you are only faithless or false by an active decision.

Say there's a Mowgli character, raised by wild animals. 'Worships' nature, but has never heard of Chauntea, Mielikki or any of the Gods of the Realms. Does that make them faithless? I don't think so. I think they will be collected by the agents of the deity that most closely resembles their beliefs.

Ilbranteloth

Irennan

Explorer
Thats the Wall working as intended. Its not wicked. Its not evil. It is an impartial mechanism to ensure the Gods are not forgotten.

That's very hard to do, with how pervasive the gods are in FR. Assuming that people would stop praying to the gods just because the Wall isn't there, is really far fetched, even if some novel says so. It just doesn't make sense, and we can see that from the history of religions in our world: people never stopped worshipping gods, and we don't even have explicit, concrete manifestations of divine beings here. Why would people from Faerun, who gain actual benefits from praying to a god, who can even at times identify themselves in what some gods stand for, all of sudden stop worshipping their deities?

The Wall is redundant, from that standpoint.

Remove ads