D&D 5E Forgotten Realms

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
When my friend in the military got Clamydia that was NEW to him as well.

That's an odd choice for rhetoric. Men with chlamydia are usually asymptomatic. You want bombast, compare the D&D4 Realms to syphilis. Rashes? Open sores? Brain damage? Now /there's/ an STD.

You claim he is just vomiting words on a page, yet according to your last post you have not read his last few novels. Novels that many people (NOt me) consider to be some of his finest because he had to do something "New". I find his 4e novels to be no better or worse than his others.

I need to stop using metaphor around here.

What I said was that "creators shouldn't get credit for vomiting high fructose corn syrup," in response to [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION]'s statement that Salvatore ought to get credit for producing anything that children will read. I disagree with Umbran. Experiencing bad narrative and grammar can be just as damaging if not more damaging than not experiencing narrative or grammar at all. My metaphor was intended to illustrate that no, simply writing garbage for mass consumption is not itself a charitable act simply because the masses are willing to consume it.

I can't speak to the quality of Salvatore's work overall, having never subjected myself to it. The only criticism I've levied against him (in this thread) was in response to him bringing back Drizzt's supporting cast in the Sundering era. It smacks of lazy, populist narrative.

If you want to believe that I think Salvatore's writing is vomit, that's your prerogative, but it's not actually my opinion.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If you want to believe that I think Salvatore's writing is vomit, that's your prerogative, but it's not actually my opinion.

Unfortunatley, in context, it was heavily implied.

Thank you for clarifying that you're commenting without ever having read the stuff, and are actually only responding to second hand reports. That's quite useful to know.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Unfortunatley, in context, it was heavily implied.

Thank you for clarifying that you're commenting without ever having read the stuff, and are actually only responding to second hand reports. That's quite useful to know.

Oh, Umbran. It's a webforum. You thought my posts actually contained substance? :D

Mournblade94

Adventurer
That's an odd choice for rhetoric. Men with chlamydia are usually asymptomatic. You want bombast, compare the D&D4 Realms to syphilis. Rashes? Open sores? Brain damage? Now /there's/ an STD.

Well I didn't choose the STD, my friend did. I wanted to keep my anecdote at least true. Since he didn't contract any of the ones you listed above, I chose the one he was diagnosed with. Which really... well they have to test for it in a rotten way. At that point I don't think one cares what they have.

I need to stop using metaphor around here.

What I said was that "creators shouldn't get credit for vomiting high fructose corn syrup," in response to @Umbran 's statement that Salvatore ought to get credit for producing anything that children will read. I disagree with Umbran. Experiencing bad narrative and grammar can be just as damaging if not more damaging than not experiencing narrative or grammar at all. My metaphor was intended to illustrate that no, simply writing garbage for mass consumption is not itself a charitable act simply because the masses are willing to consume it.

I can't speak to the quality of Salvatore's work overall, having never subjected myself to it. The only criticism I've levied against him (in this thread) was in response to him bringing back Drizzt's supporting cast in the Sundering era. It smacks of lazy, populist narrative.

Still the point stands. You have not read his work, so how can you be sure it is bad? I can tell you, with the statistical methods used to measure reading, Salvatore writes on a 10th grade level. Consider that using that same method the New York Times averages as being written on an 8th grade level, according to the studies I have read.

I did the analysis of the Salvatore writing myself for an education project. I consider education research pure bunk, but the reading level statistical analysis I find useful.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Well I didn't choose the STD, my friend did. I wanted to keep my anecdote at least true. Since he didn't contract any of the ones you listed above, I chose the one he was diagnosed with. Which really... well they have to test for it in a rotten way. At that point I don't think one cares what they have.

You are doing this internet thing all wrong.

The Spellplague reminded /me/ of this friend I had who contracted ebola, then was decapitated in a wreck while rushing to the hospital, infected all the first responders, and now his hometown doesn't appear on Google Maps. THANKS OBAMA.

See how easy that was?

I did the analysis of the Salvatore writing myself for an education project. I consider education research pure bunk, but the reading level statistical analysis I find useful.

The complexity of words and sentences is not proportional to the quality of the writing, believe me. It might be useful from an educational perspective but it begins and ends there.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
You are doing this internet thing all wrong.

The Spellplague reminded /me/ of this friend I had who contracted ebola, then was decapitated in a wreck while rushing to the hospital, infected all the first responders, and now his hometown doesn't appear on Google Maps. THANKS OBAMA.

See how easy that was?

Indeed. I shall have to keep that in mind:) Maybe I shouldn't complain so much about the Facebook mob mentality.

The complexity of words and sentences is not proportional to the quality of the writing, believe me. It might be useful from an educational perspective but it begins and ends there.

I would agree with that for the most part. I don't put much stock in the reading analysis for anything BUT reading level. I had to do it for the USELESS teaching courses they give in University.

Remove ads