D&D 5E Forgotten Realms

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I'm sorry to make a whole thread for this. But, I've been searching for a video for a while and I just cannot find it. And I know some of you guys will know instantly what I am talking about and be able to post a link to it.

There is a video of Ed Greenwood talking about how he was not consulted on what should be done with The Realms in 4e. And he says he and (I think) Salvadore came up with a plan for how to "fix" The Realms, and how some day WOTC would call him and ask him to do it and he'd have it all worked out how it could be done.

And then he goes on to discuss how WOTC is trusting him and the other authors to handle The Realms this time around and not trying to mess with their plans.

Anyone know what video I am talking about?

Thanks!

Herschel

Adventurer
[video=youtube;s59W4ElcxkA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s59W4ElcxkA[/video]

Here's the panel.

IMO Greenwood and Salvatore shouyld have been kept as far away from Realms design as possible. Salvatore's writing actually was starting to improve again when he had to create some new characters and Greenwood should be kept far, far away from the Realms. He sold it, then whines when it's not what he wanted.

JeffB

Legend
Different strokes I guess.

AFAIC Elminsters Guide to the Realms has been the only FR gaming book worth its cover prices since the early 1990s.

Novels I pay no attention to. Every one I have read in the past, regardless of Author,.sucked.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Here's the panel.

Nope, wasn't that. Just watched that whole thing, and it didn't even come up.

The one I am referring to is where Ed describes how he was planning for years how to return the Realms back toward his vision, waiting for the post-4e call from WOTC asking him to do that. And then when they called he said yes, I know exactly how to fix the Realms. He goes into some depth on what happened during the 4e era, and what changed in the lead-up to 5e.

Herschel

Adventurer
I was hoping Entreri would finally be dead, but Salvatore kludged him in to the post Spellplague books. Now he's kludged Cattie-Brie, Regis and Bruennor back in to the Realms. He didn't need to necessarily kill off Bruennor (nor Pwent, for that matter) but leave 'em be for cripes sake. EmoDrow finally started to show a bit of depth again but now it's back to same old-same old.

Herschel

Adventurer

The one I am referring to is where Ed describes how he was planning for years how to return the Realms back toward his vision, waiting for the post-4e call from WOTC asking him to do that. And then when they called he said yes, I know exactly how to fix the Realms. He goes into some depth on what happened during the 4e era, and what changed in the lead-up to 5e.

That whiny biznitch should have been excised from the Realms permanently. He's responsible for a whole lot that went wrong with the Realms post Gray Box and I was glad they blew it up as it gave me new, fun Realms material to work with instead of MarySueville.

He sold the rights because he wanted the money, then got upset when they didn't give him the lead in what would happen. He deserves no respect for that nor does WotC deserve respect for pandering to him and his noxious fanbois now.

Mod Note: See my post below, please. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

dd.stevenson

Super KY

Are you thinking of the sword & laser interview? That's Salvatore, not Ed, but that's the only time I've ever seen either be so blunt about the 4E era.

Last edited:

Remove ads