D&D 4E Forked Thread: Al-Qadim, Land of Fate 4e

Jubelo

First Post
The pitch looks good, Aaron :)

At no small expense and from the far corners of the earth I bring the notes you requested.. but it'll have to be tomorrow. In my move all the magazines got scattered and out of order. I found the 'Scimitars Against the Dark' and the 'Roof of the World' (about Yakmen) by the same author. I can see Complete Necromancer, but have to dig down to it.

I also found 'Secrets of the Brotherhood of the True Flame' (spells) , the 3e sha'ir, and the 3e Prestige Classes (barber, corsair, holy slayer and mamluk).
I'm certain I have the issue with the 'Secrets of the Geomancer' (spells again) as well as the Pillared City of Irem and one about a fortress I barely remember at this point

I'd like to see at least one of the Geomancers come back as a threat.
If the Brotherhood of the True Flame has been hunted down, we'll need to make up something to take their place. In the complete Sha'irs Handbook, other elemental factions were fleshed out, but several seemed . . odd to me.

Hodag, the Ogre seems a little overpowered to me. Maybe +2/+2 str and con instead? The whole large and +4 str just seems off to me.

Anyway, it's late and I work tomorrow. Talk to you soon :)

Jon

Philosopher

First Post
Agreed. However, I do think there's lots of "good reasons" to draw upon such a rich history. We don't have to recreate it, and we can diverge from it greatly, but by using it as a touchstone we'll create a more immersive setting.

My concern is that this seems to have no impact on an actual game of Al-Qadim. Does it matter to a bunch of adventurous types, for example, that the First Caliph, a very long time ago, had a bunch of companions?

By the way, I'm afraid that I don't have quite as much free time as I had expected, so I can't make any promises about what I might contribute to this project (besides feedback in this thread).

Hodag

First Post
Hodag, the Ogre seems a little overpowered to me. Maybe +2/+2 str and con instead? The whole large and +4 str just seems off to me.

Jon

That's why they have no racial powers, save bonuses, or defense bonuses. Large and the Strength are the only racials they have. All of the PHB races have at least three and up to five racials

Quickleaf

Legend
My concern is that this seems to have no impact on an actual game of Al-Qadim. Does it matter to a bunch of adventurous types, for example, that the First Caliph, a very long time ago, had a bunch of companions?
A couple reasons spring to mind... (1) Recovering the sword of one of the companions to defeat an ancient enemy. (2) Solving a puzzle to the First Caliph's tomb or ancient palace which refers to his companions. (3) Divergent religious sects might trace their lineage back to one of the First Caliph's companions. (4) Adds flavor when a dwarven NPC mentions that he looks up to "Diyab al-Nisr, most loyal ally to his grace the First Caliph, beloved of dwarves, etc, etc" (5) If reincarnation became a theme, one of the PCs might have once been a companion of the First Caliph.

By the way, I'm afraid that I don't have quite as much free time as I had expected, so I can't make any promises about what I might contribute to this project (besides feedback in this thread).
I understand, and thanks for your insight and especially your critique. Feel free to drop in on the thread as you're able to. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Strangemonkey, nice thoughts on the dragonborn arriving as immigrants. My sense is that dragon-born are too out of place in Zakhara, and that including them would alienate old fans. However, it is a multi-racial empire, so if we decide there is a way to integrate them that doesn't feel contrived, I say go for it. Personally, Zakharan ogres seem like a good replacement.

Are you proposing the Sultanate as a ruling authority independent of the Grand Caliph or swearing fealty to him? Or more in line with the Free Cities model of giving him lip service but ultimately doing their own thing?

I don't know. I am an old Al-Quadim fan and one of the things I most loved about the setting was that it was the place where no one could tell you what to do race-wise unless you wanted to play a genie or yakman. Forbidding Dragonborn seems to make genies and yakmen less special. Including them really ratchets up the 'Enlightened is the only distinction that matters' theme.

I was thinking of the Sultanate as operating on the same level as the cities of the Pantheon. It's a separate nation with its own policies that sends a steady supply of pilgrims and political pressure to the Caliph. Unlike the Free Cities - who just ignore what they don't want to hear - the Sultanate will be critical and engaged when the nation feels like it needs to be.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey, this is a random question, but I noticed the flying carpet in the DMG is a 20th level magic item! According to the treasure parcels, PCs must be at least 16th level to even have a chance of getting a flying carpet. And it's a tiny carpet (4x4, 300 lb. max).
I'd like to design a flying carpet that's accessible to 11th level PCs.

The pitch looks good, Aaron :) At no small expense and from the far corners of the earth I bring the notes you requested.. but it'll have to be tomorrow. In my move all the magazines got scattered and out of order. I found the 'Scimitars Against the Dark' and the 'Roof of the World' (about Yakmen) by the same author. I can see Complete Necromancer, but have to dig down to it.
Glad you like it, Jon. :)
Cool, thanks for posting about that - look forward to mining it for ideas.

I'd like to see at least one of the Geomancers come back as a threat.
If the Brotherhood of the True Flame has been hunted down, we'll need to make up something to take their place. In the complete Sha'irs Handbook, other elemental factions were fleshed out, but several seemed . . odd to me.
Geomancers, huh? I'll see what I can come up with. I definitely think the Brotherhood should remain as villains, but I'm going to push them back to intrigue types whose presence isn't suffocating to other elementalists.

So I was looking at City of Delights and well...
Neat! :) I would say cut their speed to 6 - they're more of the lumbering type. Large is a nice feature. +4 Strength seems too much at first glimpse cause that means +2 to some powers, +2 damage, and +2 Athletics. However, you've made a good defense of +4 strength for ogres. Really, the question is what is a +2 attribute bonus worth compared to other racial features? One option is replace that extra +2 strength with a "burden bearer" feature allowing them to carry twice the load they normally could, or to otherwise ignore encumbrance penalties? I like the Endure feat a lot. However, Honor Bound is too powerful; I'd reduce the bonus to +1 if it's going to provide it to all those different checks.

I don't know. I am an old Al-Quadim fan and one of the things I most loved about the setting was that it was the place where no one could tell you what to do race-wise unless you wanted to play a genie or yakman. Forbidding Dragonborn seems to make genies and yakmen less special. Including them really ratchets up the 'Enlightened is the only distinction that matters' theme.
Well, I'm up for including dragonborn. However the PHB/MM info is very scanty on their official origin story. And including them means we include Bahamut, their progenitor and the only Arabian dragon-ish creature I can think of, into Al-Qadim. That's a big change, but doable. Personally, I would make their breath weapon a thunder-based attack - a roar, really.

This brings up a larger question of other Enlightened monstrous races dwelling in Zakhara. Lizardmen, goblins, ogres, etc. How are they differentiated from each other and from any old human? I realize some of this is up to the DM, but it's a relevant question.

I was thinking of the Sultanate as operating on the same level as the cities of the Pantheon. It's a separate nation with its own policies that sends a steady supply of pilgrims and political pressure to the Caliph. Unlike the Free Cities - who just ignore what they don't want to hear - the Sultanate will be critical and engaged when the nation feels like it needs to be.
I really like that idea. I'd always wanted to explore the Astok overthrowing Umara more. If the Tuigan (or some other tribe) were to seize the Free Cities I imagine the Astok would be in an interesting position. Also I'd say that Muluk's king stays in power (to continue that unbroken lineage) but is married to a Tuigan warrior-queen who is the true power behind the throne.

Last edited:

Jubelo

First Post
Scimitars Against the Dark by W. Baur

Dark Zakhara is kind of 'Ravenloft' meets "Al Qadim". The grand caliph is an ineffective ruler, as well as being sterile. Efreeti kingdoms reach into the material plane to capture slaves and goods, the Mamluks plot to take power from the caliphs and substitute their own rule and the cities may openly war with each other. Genies are rarely helpful and, in general, society is much less tolerant.

He created 2 kits:
The Priest-Defender is driven to exterminate evil. He can turn genies and undead, but may not associate with genies at all. He casts spells as a normal cleric, with emphasis on combat and protection spells. He also gains attack bonuses against specific foes as a ranger does. A new non-combat proficiency, Dark lore, allows him to know the habits and weaknesses of non-genie supernatural, evil monsters.

The Sungazer is a mage who derives his powers from 'dark forces of the ancient past'. Their protective spells reduce damage from evil, supernatural beings by -1/ 6 levels of ability. They may communicate with all supernatural creatures as if using a comprehend languages spell, and may detect evil once/day as a paladin. The price for their additional protection is gradual insanity.

The Roof of the World by W.Baur

An overview of the Yakman holdings. He shows brief statistics for the rulers of the 8 provinces (Gate of Heaven, Sun's Eye, Fiend's Wing, Red Goat, Yak's Horn, Enlightened Ring, Bronze Falcon and Ghost Leopard) and the Emperor of the Lotus throne (young and ritually sacrificed every 20 years). He adds that the marrashi are willing allies. Rumors of Brotherhood of the Eternal Flame or Kadarosto connections to the Yakmen or Faceless God are repeated and suggestions to fit the Yikari Empire into other worlds (Birthright, Oerth, and others) are made.

The Complete Book of Necromancers by Steve Kurtz

Some kits are offered, including the Ghul Lord who can spontaneously cast necromantic spells, at the cost of corruption of his mind and soul. Some salient abilities (as in the Ravenloft books for vampires) are suggested for npc's.

Some secret societies (Cult of Worms, the Scabrous Society and a Cult of Pain) are discussed. He also suggests the creation of tomes of power, books of dark knowledge.

One of these is The Art of Necromancy by Kazerabet. She was described as being the 'former queen of an entire undead principality' and I found elsewhere on the web that it is believed the campaign in the book takes place nearly 100 years after Cities of Bone.

The campaign takes place on the Isle of Sahu.. the serenity is the serenity of the dead. Starting with ghoulish pirates and a shipwreck, the party discovers priests of the God of the Ghouls. The priests claim to take care of the island's dead, but devour them instead. One of C.A. Smith's stories is almost exactly this. The campaign trails through 'normal' necromancers, creators of gargantuan golems and other horrors before ending with Verminissa, an ancient liche who tends the garden of worms.. a garden of halfhuman plant things and limbs rooted in the dark soil of her cavern prison.

Brief notes for another group of quests are given, including one where six urns holding the ashes of a noted heretic are to be recovered. Places where they might be are undersea, in a scorpion infested ravine and guarded by a neutral genie, sphinx or similar.

Although the imagery of the campaign is slightly dated, I enjoy the swords and sorcery side of Arabian adventures too, and hope that some of this might be of use.

Jon

If Mr. Baur thinks that I've put down too much info, please let me know and I'll remove.

thx
Jon

Last edited:

Jubelo

First Post
Aaron,

I think one of the design restraints of 4e is that flight isn't commonly available until epic levels.

With that said, perhaps a carpet with limited time for flight, or an item that has other drawbacks? Something powered by imprisoned geniekin which would enrage other genies that saw it?

Jon

Hodag

First Post
Bunch of stuff.
1) Edited Zakharan Ogre. Reduced Honor Bound to +1 and Speed to 6.
The extra +2 to Strength give a +1 to hit and damage with melee weapons, +1 to Athletics and possibly +1 to Fortitude. They have no other skill bonuses, so the Athletics isn't a problem. +1 to hit and damage is worth at least 1 racial ability, probably two and the possible (but very likely) +1 to Fortitude is worth 1/2 an ability or so. That totals up to (including Large) 3 1/2 Racials +1 point of skill bonus vs. Dwarves who have 5 Racials + 4 points of skill bonuses.

2)Up on the Monsters thread I've posted a sample layout (currently without fancy fonts or smoky edging) for the AQ Monster Manual. Check it out and let me know if it's acceptable. This version is in landscape mode, but I could flop it to portrait. I built it in Filemaker Pro 9.

3)The Ruined Kingdoms never got much love so I'm working on some stuff for Nog and vicinity. The segarrans are just the beginning BWAH-HA-HA!

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Scimitars Against the Dark by W. Baur
Wow! Lot's of parallels with how I've been reinterpreting Zakhara. While I think sword & sorcery can be a little dumbed down compared to the direction I'd like to see AQ go, I agree there are lots of great elements that fit the genre.
The yakmen article looks especially interesting. The Priest-Defender reminds me of the Reckoner build concept I have for Paladins, and the Sungazer vaguely parallels the Feisha build concept for Wizards. The spin on the Isle of Sahu is interesting. what Dragon/Dungeon articles are these from? Is the necromancy campaign it's own book?

I think one of the design restraints of 4e is that flight isn't commonly available until epic levels.

With that said, perhaps a carpet with limited time for flight, or an item that has other drawbacks? Something powered by imprisoned geniekin which would enrage other genies that saw it?
Hmm, at paragon tier heroes can fly for short periods of time/short distances. How about a "billowing" carpet...

Billowing Carpet (Level 12)
An ornately woven silk carpet, 5-foot by 3-foot in dimension, with gilded calligraphy around the border.
Wondrous Item 13,000 gp
Power (Daily): Move Action. By speaking a magic word the billowing carpet rises to hover 1 square above the ground. Due to the winds generated by the carpet, a close burst 1 around it becomes difficult terrain. A character can command the carpet to move at speed 4 to catch a falling ally; an ally caught by the carpet takes only 1/4 of the damage they would otherwise take from the fall.

The billowing carpet can carry one Medium or Small character of no more than 200 pounds. Because it is so delicate, the carpet can only hold the character for 3 rounds before collapsing. The billowing carpet's base speed is 3 on its first round of use, 2 on its second round of use, and 1 on its third round of use. Its surface is incredily unstable; while on the carpet a rider takes -2 AC and Reflex defense and must make an Athletics or Acrobatics check (DC 20) each round or be thrown off the carpet.

Stories say that the winds empowering the billowing carpet are created by bound jinn, and that they tire easily of service to mortals. It is believed the jinn sometimes have a mind of their own.

Up on the Monsters thread I've posted a sample layout (currently without fancy fonts or smoky edging) for the AQ Monster Manual. Check it out and let me know if it's acceptable. This version is in landscape mode, but I could flop it to portrait. I built it in Filemaker Pro 9.
Looks good. I had a question for you about heroic/paragon/epic adversaries. It seems like most heroic-tier enemies in AQ will be humans of some type. Maybe a couple human entries would make a nice addition? I'm working on a heroic-tier solo holy slayer for example.

Hodag said:
3)The Ruined Kingdoms never got much love so I'm working on some stuff for Nog and vicinity. The segarrans are just the beginning BWAH-HA-HA!
Great stuff, looking forward to it.:)

Remove ads