• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Forked Thread: Fixing Multiclassing v0.2 (to New Getalt Concept)

Khaalis

Adventurer
Forked from: Fixing Multiclassing v0.2

Khaalis said:
Overall this is the best step in the direction I'd like to see the concept go in. I'd go for more of a gestalt than "multiclass" feel. Here are some quick thoughts. Maybe this should be made into a separate "Gestalt" option?

With that said, I took it one step farther and filled out the idea I had of a more true "gestalt" multiclass system. The basic concept behind this is that when you multiclass you are looking to actually gain some sustained utility of the new class mixed with your own. For example, if you choose to multiclass into Fighter, you are doing so to gain some more Defender-like traits.

As it stands, I think the multiclass system as it exists is weak in this area. In the fighter example, I don't see the ability to mark one foe, once per encounter as a worthwhile addition if you are really looking for a more true multiclass defender feel. I also do not really like the Paragon Multiclassing. This could have been just as simply accomplished by continuing the feat tree they already started under Power Swap feats.

Thus I came up with the following "Gestalt" style mutliclass system. This is simpky a recreation of the core concepts in the PHB. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Also attached in easier to read Word.doc.

GESTALT SYSTEM

Gestalt feats allow you to dabble effectively in the class features and powers of another class. You might be a defender who wants to gain slightly more controller focus, or a striker who wants a smattering of defender abilities.

Each class has a class-specific gestalt feat that gives you access to features from that class. There are two restrictions on your choice of a class-specific gestalt feat. First, you can’t take a gestalt feat for your own class. Second, once you take a gestalt feat, you can’t take a second gestalt feat.

A character who has taken a class-specific gestalt feat counts as a member of that class for the purpose of meeting prerequisites for taking other feats and qualifying for paragon paths. For example, a character who takes Fighter Training counts as a fighter for the purpose of selecting feats that have fighter as a prerequisite. These feats can qualify you for other feats; for example, a warlock who takes Rogue Training can use the rogue’s Sneak Attack class feature, which means that they meet the prerequisite for the Backstabber feat.

When you take a gestalt feat you give up a small portion of your primary class’ training to acquire a seamless melding of the new class’ training.

Cleric: When you take a gestalt feat you lose the "Ritual Casting" class feature. You additionally decrease your Will Defense bonus to +1 from the normal +2.

Fighter: When you take a gestalt feat you lose the "Fighter Weapon Talent" class feature. You additionally decrease your Fortitude Defense bonus to +1 from the normal +2.

Paladin: When you take a gestalt feat you lose the "Channel Divinity" class feature.

Ranger: If you are an Archer Fighting style ranger when you take a gestalt feat, you lose the "Prime Shot" class feature. You additionally lose your +1 Fortitude Defense bonus.
.....If you are a Two-Weapon Fighting style ranger when you take a gestalt feat, you lose the ability to wield a one-handed weapon in your off hand as if it were an off-hand weapon class feature. You additionally lose your +1 Reflex Defense bonus.

Rogue: When you take a gestalt feat, you lose the "Rogue Weapon Talent" class feature. You additionally decrease your Reflex Defense bonus to +1 from the normal +2.

Warlock: When you take a gestalt feat, you lose the "Prime Shot" class feature. You additionally lose your +1 Reflex Defense bonus.

Warlord: When you take a gestalt feat, you lose the "Combat Leader" class feature. You additionally lose your +1 Fortitude Defense bonus.

Wizard: When you take a gestalt feat, you gain only two rather than four of the "Cantrips" class feature. Additionally, your spellbook begins with only two 1st level rituals. You additionally decrease your Will Defense bonus to +1 from the normal +2.

GESTALT FEATS

CLERIC TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Wis 13
Benefit: You gain the following benefits.
• You gain training in the Religion skill.
• You gain a +1 class bonus to your Will Defense.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Cleric class.
• You gain the cleric's Healing Word class feature.

FIGHTER TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Str 13
• You gain 2 additional hit points and 1 additional healing surge.
• You gain a +1 class bonus to your Fortitude Defense.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Fighter class.
• You gain the Fighter's Challenge class feature. This counts as the fighter’s Combat Challenge class feature for purpose of prerequisites.

FIGHTER CHALLENGE: Every time you attack an enemy and the attack hits, you can choose to mark that target. The mark lasts until the end of your next turn. While a target is marked, it takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include you as a target. A creature can be subject to only one mark at a time. A new mark supersedes a mark that was already in place.
.....In addition, whenever a marked enemy that is adjacent to you shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt.

PALADIN TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Str 13, Cha 13
• You gain 2 additional hit points and 1 additional healing surge.
• You gain a +1 class bonus to either your Fortitude or Will Defense.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Paladin class.
• You gain the paladin's Divine Challenge class feature.

RANGER TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Str 13 or Dex 13
• You gain training in one skill from the ranger’s class skill list.
• You gain a +1 class bonus to your Fortitude or Reflex Defense.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Ranger class.
• You gain the ranger's Hunter’s Quarry class feature.

ROGUE TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Dex 13
• You gain training in one skill from the rogue’s class skill list.
• You gain a +1 class bonus to your Reflex Defense.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Rogue class.
• You gain the rogue's Sneak Attack class feature.

WARLOCK TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Cha 13
• You gain training in one skill from the warlock’s class skill list.
• Choose a warlock pact. You gain the pact’s At-Will power as in place of one of your primary class’ At-Will powers, and you can pursue the warlock paragon path based on that pact.
• You can use a rod, a wand, or a pact blade as an implement when using a warlock power or a warlock paragon path power.

WARLORD TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Str 13
• You gain training in one skill from the warlord’s class skill list.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Warlord class.
• You gain the warlord's Inspiring Word class feature.

WIZARD TRAINING [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Int 13
• You gain training in one the Arcana skill.
• You may swap one 1st-level At-Will attack power of your primary class with one from the Warlord class.
• You gain two “Cantrips” at 1st level.
• You can use an orb, staff, or wand as an implement when using a wizard power or a wizard paragon path power.

POWER SWAP FEATS

These feats give you access to a power from the class for which you took a gestalt feat. That power replaces a power you would normally have from your primary class. When you take one of these power-swap feats, you give up a power of your choice from your primary class and replace it with a power of the same level or lower from the class you have gestaled in.

Any time you gain a level, you can alter that decision. Effectively, pretend you’re choosing the power-swap feat for the first time at the new level you’ve just gained. You gain back the power that you gave up originally from your primary class, lose the power that you chose from your second class, and make the trade again. You give up a different power from your primary class and replace it with a new power of the same level from your second class. You can’t use power-swap feats to replace powers you gain from your paragon path or epic destiny. If you use retraining to replace a power-swap feat with another feat, you lose any power gained from the power-swap feat and regain a power of the same level from your primary class.

NOVICE POWER [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Any gestalt feat, 4th level
Benefit: You can swap one encounter attack power you know for one encounter attack power of the same level or lower from the class you gestalteded into.

ACOLYTE POWER [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Any gestalt feat, 8th level
Benefit: You can swap one utility power you know for one utility power of the same level or lower from the class you gestalted into.

ADEPT POWER [Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Any gestalt feat, 10th level
Benefit: You can swap one daily attack power you know for one daily attack power of the same level or lower from the class you gestalted into.

NEOPHYTE POWER [Paragon Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Any gestalt feat, 12th level, Novice Power
Benefit: You can swap a second encounter attack power of 7th level or lower you know for one encounter attack power of the same level or lower from the class you gestalted into.

EXPERT POWER [Paragon Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Any gestalt feat, 14th level, Acolyte Power
Benefit: You can swap a second utility power of 10th level or lower you know for one utility power of the same level or lower from the class you gestalted into.

MASTER POWER [Paragon Gestalt]
Prerequisites: Any gestalt feat, 20th level, Adept Power
Benefit: You can swap a second daily attack power of 20th level or lower you know for one daily attack power of the same level or lower from the class you gestalted into.

Attachments

• Gestalt System.doc
    43 KB · Views: 62

Stalker0

Legend
My question is...is this intended to be like previous gestalt systems (which is an increase in every character's power) or is it intended to be balanced against nonmulticlassers?

If its the latter, this system allows character much stronger than normal ones.

Take the fighter for example. I can gestalt into rogue, and for the loss of +1 attack bonus, I gain +1 to refex (which is a better defense in my opinion), +2d6 damage on many of my attacks, and the rogue's riposte at-will.

Or I could take the cleric one, and heal myself in combat twice per encounter. That's a huge benefit.

I think the system is well written and solid, but it is a power increase, and is not balanced with nonmulticlassers. If that's the intent, then good job, if not, it needs some rework.

Khaalis

Adventurer
My question is...is this intended to be like previous gestalt systems (which is an increase in every character's power) or is it intended to be balanced against nonmulticlassers?
I was attempting for something more balanced with a non multiclasser.

If its the latter, this system allows character much stronger than normal ones.

Take the fighter for example. I can gestalt into rogue, and for the loss of +1 attack bonus, I gain +1 to refex (which is a better defense in my opinion), +2d6 damage on many of my attacks, and the rogue's riposte at-will.
Let’s look at the example a Fighter MCing Rogue (and taking Riposte). On looking at it, you might be right. However, the point IS to make the fighter more of a striker than the current MC feat allows. Gaining Sneak Attack 1/encounter doesn’t really, IMHO, make you more of a striker.

In this case, the fighter needs:
• High STR, Decent Con, Minimum 13 Dex (Lets assume we have a STR 18, Con 16, Dex 16)
• Must use a Light Blade for rogue special powers (lower damage weapon)

The Fighter Loses:
• +1 Fortitude Defense
• Fighter Weapon Talent (+1 ATK)

The Fighter Gains:
• Rogue Skill (same as the current MC feat)
• +1 Reflex Defense (even swap for the lost Fort Defense)
• Can swap out a Fighter At-Will for Riposte Strike
• Sneak Attack when have Combat Advantage

Riposte (Requires a Light Blade which means lower damage [likely 1d6 and only 1 less from stat]) = DEX vs. AC / 1[W]+DEX (If they attack you w/in 1 round you get a second attack at STR vs AC / 1[W]+STR). I don’t see this as any more or less beneficial than Tide of Iron, Cleave or Reaping Strike. It will hit less often due to lower stat, deals less initial damage and its “additional bonus damage” is conditional (granted it’s a condition that will most likely be fulfilled) but IMHO this makes the fighter better at doing their job.

Sneak Attack adds an average 7 damage on any round the fighter can get Combat Advantage (which is the point of adding rogue is to become more striker / Damage dealing oriented than a full fledged defender). However, this bonus to damage isn’t consistent and it is partly balanced by the fact that the fighter is giving up heavier damage weapons for a light blade.

Or I could take the cleric one, and heal myself in combat twice per encounter. That's a huge benefit.
But also in lieu of any other action. You could also quaff two potions. Granted the ability to use Healing Word is superior to potions as it will likely heal more and can heal others, but that IS the point of being part Cleric. Being part cleric and getting to use Healing Word once per day just doesn’t seem “clericy” or Leader enough for me I guess.

I think the system is well written and solid, but it is a power increase, and is not balanced with nonmulticlassers. If that's the intent, then good job, if not, it needs some rework.
I’d love to hear thoughts on balancing then. Would taking more away from the fighter work? Would removing the ability to swap an at-will?

Then

First Post
With what you have currently, it would be silly not to gestalt.

There is too many gained benefits versus lost benefits.

Look at what the fighter loses
• Fighter Weapon Talent (+1 ATK)
but he gains
• Rogue Skill (same as the current MC feat)
• Can swap out a Fighter At-Will for Rogue At-Will
• Sneak Attack when have Combat Advantage

Stalker0

Legend
It will hit less often due to lower stat, deals less initial damage and its “additional bonus damage” is conditional (granted it’s a condition that will most likely be fulfilled) but IMHO this makes the fighter better at doing their job.

I’d love to hear thoughts on balancing then. Would taking more away from the fighter work? Would removing the ability to swap an at-will?

The bold is my emphasis. This is the problem right there. You have made a figher who is a better striker AND a better defender, that is of course better than the standard fighter.

Your problem is this, you are allowing the main class to keep its primary ability AND you are giving it the primary ability of another class. That is why its overpowered. So you can do the following:

1) Give the class a secondary power from the new class, not the primary.
2) Weaken or take out the primary power from the first class.
3) Give a weakened version of both primaries.

Remove ads