Forked Thread: Started playing D&D without being introduced by someone else?

Scribble

First Post
I think he originally found the red box sex at the local hobby shop, but I'm not sure of the circumstances.

Never found THAT at my game store... I got hosed! :D

I pretty much woke up one day and decided I wanted to see what it was. I went out and got a copy of the basic game at Walden Books... My sister bought it for me.

To be fair though, I guess I DID used to watcht eh D&D cartoon... So maybe that had somethign to do with it... And I'd just read Lord of The Rings...

I picked up D&D (together with some friends) due to NWN1.
I had to Google "NWN1" -- I thought maybe it was an old module I had missed. You know, B1, S1, T1, X1, G1, D1, A1, C1, UK1, NWN1... :)

I heard about the game at school, but hadn't seen or played it. Mentioned it to my parents at dinner, and my dad pulled a copy of the Holmes blue book out of his briefcase (he'd heard about it at work, but hadn't played it yet, either). We played later that evening, and I was hooked for life.

Voadam

Legend
My parents got me the earlier red book (not the later red box, this one came with the rule book, Keep on the Borderlands, and dice) boxed set basic set as a gift when I was a kid. I think they thought I would like it since I had enjoyed the Dungeon! board game as well as mythology and fantasy books and Middle Ages stuff.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
For the "typical" enworlder (based on past polls) a lot of us started when D&D had a certrain buzz...you heard about it, it was in toy and books stores (and there where more game, or as they where sometimes called hobby, stores), people got it as a christmass present...

So I think a lot of people where not "introduced" by experienced players, and many learned it with other kids who also didn't know what they where doing. Which didn't always lead to the best games, but could be fun.

In my case, I heard about in 4th grade, got the basic set in 5th grade, got ADD books in 6th grade, messed around with it for years (including with some older kids who had played), but did not have a "real" campaign until I started DMing at some point in high school.

EdPovi

First Post
Back in 79-80 saw the box in Toys R Us, ooo... Dungeons & Dragons, that's so cool... I dear not calculate the money spent on this hobby.

Remove ads