• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

forum/chat dice roller

Zhnov

First Post
I'm getting ready to setup a private web site to host online epic 3.5E/D20 games.

My PnP (pen-n-paper) game playing is seasonal, typically when I travel back to the United States a few times a year. Because of this, I'm trying to build an on-line solution to meet my needs, while continuing existing campaigns.

The key features I'm looking for (I know there are many web-solutions to choose from in general) are the ability to integrate a dice roller in the forums and a connected chat utility.

Being new to site hosting, I'm already poking around looking for the best solution, but would like input on which apps support such modifications. Have you seen any?

I've tentatively settled on PHPBB for my forum app, although I have yet to really see what mods it has to offer. I hear it is highly customizeable. I have not settled on a chat program yet, although I'd like something that can integrate to the website rather than being a stand-alone application.

I have plenty of code experience with C++ and VB, and have played with Java and perl, in case there are options I might consider that would require some code work. My web-henchgirl is an experienced PHP/Java/you-name-it addict, but is new to PnP RPGs.

Any advice (including other recommended hosting applications which can increase the PnP playability) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

~Orlic

Last edited:

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
I might be completely biased, but have you checked out the server ENWorld's chat is on?

Psionics.net is an IRC network run for and by gamers. We have a couple of dice bots (Palamedes, Boxcars, Golem), java clients (see the chat link above for one, which is integrated into the boards, www.psionics.net has another) and a growing population of gamers.

If you have any questions just drop by #myndworks and bug one of the IRC ops. Tell them TDC sent you :)

Remove ads