D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
While not relevant for me personally, I'm still glad to see Foundry finally has official support. It certainly is relevant to a larger portion of the userbase.
Same here; I don't use Foundry VTT but I'm glad to see that more platforms are being supported.

It's hard to say how many new users will benefit from this, however. Roll20 boasts 10 million users as of March 2022, and FantasyGrounds reports 400,000 users, but I can't find any hard numbers for Foundry VTT licenses sold. I would assume it's in the same ballpark as FantasyGrounds, but they seem to carefully avoid the subject.

FantasyGrounds reports 400,000 users, but I can't find any hard numbers for Foundry VTT licenses sold. I would assume it's in the same ballpark as FantasyGrounds, but they seem to carefully avoid the subject.
I tend to agree with your estimate. In Year in Review 2023 they reported that they have 70k users on their discord (30k active per day) and 50k users in the Foundry-subreddit. Probably not everybody is active in these channels, but I would assume most GM's are.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I run a game in Foundry for PF2 and am running Abomination Vaults using their premium module. All of my players are veterans of different VTTs and they have been just amazed at how everything works. You've got the maps with walls/doors/light sources all premade for you. You also have active triggers for actions that happen at different times during the adventure, such as a drawbridge that collapses. And it also have music, both atmospheric music for each level and music for different locations. My group has been astounded by what it looks like, and suggested that if they could get everything for 5E is a similar package, they would jump from their existing VTTs.

I'm not trying to throw shade at any other VTT: I ran Curse of Strahd using Fantasy Grounds, and play in a campaign each week using Roll20. I have fun with all of them. I'm just suggesting that you might want to check out Foundry now that this is coming out.

That good for them! I tried playing on Roll20 purely because I had a player that preferred it for looking at maps (as I usually draw my own)...but...that thing was SO confusing, clunky, and janky to control. I was offered Foundry as an alternative, but I just completely dropped using all VTT because I was just so put off by Roll20. If I have to, I'll use it again and I'm glad to hear that they have support now for DnD!

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Do you need a particularly good computer to GM a game on foundry? My computer is good enough to run BG3 but is certainly not top of the range.

Remove ads

Remove ads