D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Do you need a particularly good computer to GM a game on foundry? My computer is good enough to run BG3 but is certainly not top of the range.
If you can run BG3 you should be fine with Foundry. Good bandwidth will be important though. Personally I use a third-party hosting service (Forge-VTT), which makes everything easier, but does introduce a monthly/annual hosting cost.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I'm excited about this news and happy for Foundry, but I switched to Warhammer Fantasy for my current campaign. I'll likely wait until my current campaign is done, by which time the 2024 rules updates will be out and the DnD 5e game system for Foundry should have any kinks worked out. If the WotC VTT is out by then I'll compare.

I am also interested in knowing whether this will have any impact on community mods that sync DnD Beyond content to Foundry.

I would only re-purchase official D&D content for Foundry if automations for all official content are solid and no longer require spending lots of time tweaking community mods.

TheSword

Legend
I'm excited about this news and happy for Foundry, but I switched to Warhammer Fantasy for my current campaign. I'll likely wait until my current campaign is done, by which time the 2024 rules updates will be out and the DnD 5e game system for Foundry should have any kinks worked out. If the WotC VTT is out by then I'll compare.

I am also interested in knowing whether this will have any impact on community mods that sync DnD Beyond content to Foundry.

I would only re-purchase official D&D content for Foundry if automations for all official content are solid and no longer require spending lots of time tweaking community mods.
I think this is key for me. I’ve been using Foundry for WFRP4e and it’s an absolute joy with rules appearing with a right click, Heads Up Display for tokens, Hover Over art, Teleporting Tokens and multi-level maps. Etc etc.

If they aren’t compatible with D&D then that would be a major blow, and I probably wouldn’t switch over until enough similar had been developed.

On a separate note, I’ve never been able to get Foundry to host games off my own laptop and have to use the Forge to host. It costs me $3 a month so negligible but please don’t get Foundry assuming that it will all be easy. This bit made me very skeptical of Foundry and were it not the only place I could play WFRP well (3 out of my 5 regular games are WFRP 4e) I probably wouldn’t have switched.

That said. If they are compatible and we can get those quality of life mods then I am overjoyed and will switch the lot… though probably not until the anniversary books are released. I’m planning on what ever new campaigns I run to be the new update not change half way through.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
If you can run BG3 you should be fine with Foundry. Good bandwidth will be important though. Personally I use a third-party hosting service (Forge-VTT), which makes everything easier, but does introduce a monthly/annual hosting cost.
Same. It makes everything easier, including updating and adding content. Totally worth it

Wowowowow. So it’s free as far as I can see. Am I being blind or naive? That’s pretty awesome.
From what I inferred, the current core module is free, but you'll have to pay for official adventure modules (like Shattered Obelisk).
Also this FAQ entry
What about basic rules sources like the Players Handbook and Monster Manual?
Normally we would have started with these products, but given the expected release window for the updated core rulebooks (later in 2024) we felt it would be the wrong call to develop and sell those premium modules when a new range of products designed using the 2024 core rulebooks are coming just around the corner. We will be working closely with our partners at Wizards of the Coast to support the core rulebook sources as soon as possible while continuing to work on other releases throughout the year!
sounds like you might get the mechanics for free, but if you want compendium entries for the 2024 rules, you potentially have to pay (I think it's the same e.g. with some Free League modules or DCC).

mamba

Legend
sounds like you might get the mechanics for free, but if you want compendium entries for the 2024 rules, you potentially have to pay (I think it's the same e.g. with some Free League modules or DCC).
or how it works with DDB. The SRD is free, the PHB, DMG and MM are not.

To me it sounds like they decided to not start with those (the 2014 books) given that new core books will be released soon and instead start with adventures and supplements first. I agree with that decision

Zaukrie

New Publisher
From what I inferred, the current core module is free, but you'll have to pay for official adventure modules (like Shattered Obelisk).
Also this FAQ entry

It's always been free, content not so much. Nothing here implies that is changing, and that's how it is in the other VTTs

Remove ads

Remove ads