• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Foundry Gets Official D&D Support

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below. This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Joining Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, and WotC’s own VTT plans, the Foundry virtual tabletop is getting official D&D support. You can se their announcement video below.

This will give yet another way to play D&D and that's some very good news.

Nebulous

Legend
Foundry looks amazing but I'm having a real problem with the learning curve. And then I would have to teach it to five other people.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Foundry looks amazing but I'm having a real problem with the learning curve. And then I would have to teach it to five other people.
I found a bit of a curve as GM, but there are tons of videos that answer any question I have. The capabilities allowed me is astounding. Its actually pretty easy to use as a player and not much different than roll20 in a lot of respects.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not sure what you'd have to teach players at all, compared to any other VTT. As a GM, if you host with the forge, you can pretty much run vanilla foundry and have a better UI and fog of war than roll20 without much effort at all

Zaukrie

New Publisher
MeTo be honest. No point me switching until the non-SRD stuff is available. Hopefully by the time Anniversary edition is released they will have caught up. Then I’ll probably look to switch.
The announcement basically said they aren't putting much effort into more rules content until the new rules come out.

TheSword

Legend
Oh, you will wish you had sooner, everyone does.
one of us GIF
Lol. I’m already using it WFRP. Have no intention of trying to create 10 years worth of monsters, spells, subclasses etc.
The announcement basically said they aren't putting much effort into more rules content until the new rules come out.
I don’t really understand this. Anniversary is very carefully backwards compatible why would they not put in the stuff from 5.0. It’s a mystery to me?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Lol. I’m already using it WFRP. Have no intention of trying to create 10 years worth of monsters, spells, subclasses etc.

I don’t really understand this. Anniversary is very carefully backwards compatible why would they not put in the stuff from 5.0. It’s a mystery to me?
Put a lot of effort in now to get 5E 2014 in, and then a year later have to add a bunch of patches for 5E 2024. Do it all in one shot instead seems like a good idea despite having folks wait.

TheSword

Legend
Put a lot of effort in now to get 5E 2014 in, and then a year later have to add a bunch of patches for 5E 2024. Do it all in one shot instead seems like a good idea despite having folks wait.
Is it a lot of work to expand the SRD to core rules? Or add the stuff from Xanathar/Tasha’s? They would presumably make money from that and I’d be amazed if the developer - is it Atropos - hasn’t done a lot of the work already for personal use… or do you think they just play SRD?

To be honest on reflection if they don’t release the core set it doesn’t really feel like it has official support to be honest. Phandelver alone doesn’t cut it for me.

mamba

Legend
port the 2014 core books over now, hoping someone still buys them when the new books are coming in a year or so, and expecting them to then buy them a second time for the updates? Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me…

Port over adventures and supplements now, so you have those ready instead. There are three monster books and plenty of adventures that are waiting to be ported right now and remain compatible

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I think the issue of porting things past the SRD is an interesting one, and it's something that the Foundry team has experience with with another system, PF2. PF2 is in the middle of a remaster and it has made some issues with Foundry more complicated than they need to be.

I really do think that waiting the few months before putting in the work to port the core rulebooks is the right idea because if you buy the PHB from Foundry you're not just getting the classes/races/spells and so on. You'd be talking about putting the rules into compendium format and that's a lot of work. A lot of work for a product you won't sell many copies of after the new books come out.

There is a way to get content now, as many people have said, and that's with the D&D Beyond importer. If I were going to run a 5E game on Foundry right now and wanted all the content, that's what I would do. I think that's what people have already done to a large extent.

TheSword

Legend
port the 2014 core books over now, hoping someone still buys them when the new books are coming in a year or so, and expecting them to then buy them a second time for the updates? Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me…

Port over adventures and supplements now, so you have those ready instead. There are three monster books and plenty of adventures that are waiting to be ported right now and remain compatible
But you can’t play the game as normal with just SRD. I don’t understand why anyone would willingly restrict themselves to that.

Remove ads

Remove ads