Foundry VTT Author Chimes in on OGL 1.1

Steel_Wind

Legend
Posted earlier today on Foundry VTT's Discord Announcement Channel:

===================================
A Preliminary Statement Regarding The OGL Controversy
===================================
Hello everyone. Over the past week our team, like many of you, have been closely following the news regarding anticipated updates to the Open Gaming License that has served the TTRPG community for the past two decades. A multitude of voices are rightfully expressing anger about the leaked 1.1 license terms. We are deeply concerned too, the terms of the draft license are wholly unacceptable to the creator community.

We have directly communicated those concerns to Wizards of the Coast. We are committed to supporting our fantastic network of content creator partners many of whom create content for D&D or other game systems using the OGL. We are determined to offer an industry-leading virtual tabletop that supports our users' most beloved game systems to the extent allowed by licensing requirements.

It is unfortunate that Wizards of the Coast has not posted an official statement. Many creators are rightfully feeling as if their livelihoods are under attack. We had wished to share a statement in response to official details posted by WOTC, but after several days of silence on the issue we feel compelled to join our team's voice to this conversation.

We hope that the strong community reaction and lack of official response imply that this dangerous path is being actively reconsidered. Until we have more clarity, it is essential for the community to continue expressing concerns to ensure the seriousness of this issue is understood by decision makers at WOTC and Hasbro. We encourage you to engage respectfully with this issue using the following resources:

• The ogl channel in this Discord server where you may discuss this topic.
  • The #OpenDND website which contains an open letter discussing the issue as well as links to several resources to learn more.
  • The #OpenDnD hashtag on Twitter and other social media platforms.

Personally, I don't blame WotC for trying to reduce what I have seen as a huge .. hole in the current approach of Foundry and other VTTs. I have felt from day 1 it was unethical what people were doing to get WotC content into Foundry and other non-licensed VTTs. I feel it is about time that these people who are taking advantage of technical loopholes finally be made to compete on a fair and level playing field. Other VTTs have licenses, Foundry et al should be required to obtain and comply with such if they are to allow use of WotC IP.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Personally, I don't blame WotC for trying to reduce what I have seen as a huge .. hole in the current approach of Foundry and other VTTs. I have felt from day 1 it was unethical what people were doing to get WotC content into Foundry and other non-licensed VTTs. I feel it is about time that these people who are taking advantage of technical loopholes finally be made to compete on a fair and level playing field. Other VTTs have licenses, Foundry et al should be required to obtain and comply with such if they are to allow use of WotC IP.
Unethical? As a result of switching over to 5e from PF2 on Foundry VTT in March of 2022, I bought the following on DDB:

PHB
DMG
MM
Tasha's
Xanathar's
Fizban's
Rime of the Frost Maiden
Candlekeep Mysteries
Shadow of the Dragon Queen; and
2 six month Master subscriptions

All of that spent on DDB over the past nine months. Without Foundry VTT? Not one nickel would have gone to WotC for that.

Respectfully, what you think to be the case, and what actually is the case are two very different things when it comes to Foundry VTT & 5e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases