• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Fourthcore has Died

Sad news. Revenge of the Iron Lich is the best 4E adventure I have read.

I still say with a few illustrations here and there it could have been sold as a $3.50 or $5 pdf and sold a few hundred copies. While you won't live on that money its always a nice bonus.

Not sure I fully understand the idea of 4E being too constraining...

it’s very frustrating and time-consuming to try to approximate what I want to do with the game’s constructs (ex. damage by level, stat blocks, magic items, the encounter format, ‘framerate’).

...if such things are annoying you then why not just deviate from them.

Nevertheless, best luck to him with Wrath.

Obryn

Hero
Oh dear, I had to stop at page 3 as well. This lowers my already below basement level opinion of the WotC boards and a large number (not all) of people that participate in them.
If I could get into ENWorld during my downtime at work, I wouldn't be as active there as I am. :) As it is, many of the other forums are okay, but the General forum (and the General DDI forum and the Future Releases forum) are mostly never-ending edition wars.

-O

SabreCat

First Post
I felt that they violated basically all of those and jumped straight into "Read the DM/Game Writers mind, or die, and the DM/writer is explicitly out to get you."
Is that sentiment based on play experience? I thought that on first read of "Revenge of the Iron Lich" too, but after studying it more closely and then running it, it didn't turn out that way at all.

IanB

First Post
I was actually expecting that thread to be much worse than it was. I'm not sure what that says about the level of expectations the internet has given me in general.

dreadgazebo

First Post
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of you for your mostly kind words and support. I honestly didn't expect that from the EN world crowd so it was a pleasant surprise to stumble upon this.

Fourthcore will live on, through dedicated community members and designers like myself. Stay tuned :)

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to all of you for your mostly kind words and support. I honestly didn't expect that from the EN world crowd so it was a pleasant surprise to stumble upon this.

Fourthcore will live on, through dedicated community members and designers like myself. Stay tuned :)

I don't know what you mean by "mostly" - on rereading the thread, the most negative thing said (by me, incidentally) was that it wasn't my thing but was good for the hobby. From my experience, EN Worlders either love it or are shutting-the-hell-up.

Anyway, I'm glad the torch will continue to be carried... it really is good stuff, if not pitched at my particular needs. :)

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Do we ENWorlders have some kind of dark reputation of which I am unaware? Are we known as merciless trolls? Fervent Edition Warriors? Haters without equal? Do we smell funny?

Urlithani

First Post
Do we ENWorlders have some kind of dark reputation of which I am unaware? Are we known as merciless trolls? Fervent Edition Warriors? Haters without equal? Do we smell funny?

From the Fourthcore WotC thread:

But general RPG boards like EnWorld, RPG.net and the like? It's gets as bad as it does here, except the moderators are less tolerant of poor behavior than they are here

Gamers can be an elitist, cannibalistic bunch of people. I often wonder just how much bigger the RPG industry could be if there was less hating going on.

I don't even play 4E and this is the first I've heard of Fourthcore, so very sad news. I only have time for one game a week and it's Pathfinder currently; my gaming group has summarily dismissed 4E before and after I ran 1 session of Keep on the Shadowfell. Fourthcore sounds like a good offshoot of the original that could have gotten a group like mine to play 4E (we loved Rappan Athuk and all the character sheets we went through).

But if it's different, it's a witch, and therefore must be burned at the stake.

Attachments

• bodysnatchers1.jpg
    bodysnatchers1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 116

dreadgazebo

First Post

Nah, I avoid most forums at all costs but I just figured since EN world is "the" forum of tabletop RPG's and it's been around for a really long time there would be increased chance of trolling, sorry. It's definitely enlightening actually surfing and lurking around here the past day or so though to be honest, maybe I'll stick around?

I just said "mostly" to cover my bases so no one could pull the troll card of "you think you're something special" etc etc. Once again, very guarded about forums and sorry about that one too.

Forever traumatized by forums,

Jerry

Remove ads