FR monk PrC (need critique)

tarn2000

First Post
This is my first go at a PrC so its bound to be out of whack. I was hoping to get some feedback to set me on track. Its primary focus is to combat sorcerous monks.

Master of Lactarn

Situated in the mountain range to the east of the Lake Of Steam and surrounded by The Shaar and Chndalwood is a mountain called Lactarn, literally meaning "Jagged Edge".
Sequestered high up in the snow-covered reaches is a monastery of the Sun Soul order who give daily devotions to the goddess Selune.
As far back as can be remembered, a covert war has been raging between the monks of Lactarn and the sorcerous monks of the Dark Mood order (worshipers of Shar – the evil sister of Selune)
Amidst this backdrop of strife there are those of the Lactarn monastery who must go forth to carry the war to the enemy – monks with strength of will and purpose. Who have honed body, mind, and spirit to resist the fell sorceries of the dark moon monks.

Requirements

Feats : Improved unarmed attack, stunning attack, deflect arrows, Iron Will
Skills: Jump + 5, Tumble +5, Concentration + 5, Arcane Knowledge +5, Religion + 5
Special: Ki Strike + 1
Alignment: LG or LN

Weapon: Gains no extra proficiencies
Class skills: Same as monk plus spellcraft
Skills points 4 + Intelligence modifier

1. Acrobatics (+10), The Way, Favoured Enemy (monks of the Dark Moon order)
2. Diamond Soul (as per monk)
3. Be Like Water, Ki Strike (+1), Feel the void
4. Deflect Spell
5. Acrobatics (+20), Detect magic at will
6. Pierce Spell, Ki Strike (+2)
7. It Hits All By Itself
8. Timeless body, Eye of Selune
9. Arcane Attack
10. Perfect Self (as per monk)

The Way

The Lactarn has the same unarmed damage, AC bonus, and speed of a monk with as many levels as his Lactarn levels plus his monk levels (if any)

Acrobatics

A first level Lactarn gains a +10 competence bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks. At 5th level this increases to +20. In addition a Lactarn can always choose to take 10 on a Balance, Jump or Tumble check, even when circumstances would normally prevent him from doing so.

Be Like Water

The Lactarn can no longer be flanked. He can react to opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This denies a rogue the ability to use a flank attack to sneak attack the Lactarn. The exception is a rogue 4 levels higher can flank him/her and therefore sneak attack.

Feel the void

The Lactarn has honed his/her mind so they are able to strike faster than the eye can see. This means that the Lactarn can make a single attack before combat begins if they are within 5 ft of the target.

Pierce Spell(sp)

The Lactarn is able expend their ki energy to neutralize a one magical effect on a single target. Regardless of whether the Lactarn succeeds they take subdual damage 1d6 + opposing casters level. This is a standard action that can be used 3 times + Wis bonus per day and provokes an attack of opportunity.
The monk’s difficulty check is 10 + Lactarn Level.

Deflect Spell

As a free action, the Lactarn may deflect incoming rays or energy missile attacks. (An energy missile is any weaponlike spell that produces something physical that the spellcaster or the spell effect hurls and must be aimed such as Melf's Acid Arrow. Magic missile doesn't count for it is not aimed.)
The Lactarn must have one hand free to use this ability. He must succeed at a Relfex save at DC 20 (+ any attack bonus the spell may give). If he succeeds, the spell is deflected. He may use this ability at any time.

It Hits All By Itself

The Lactarn is able to knock opponents unconscious for 1d4 rounds. The knockout strike can be used as many times a round as the monk has attacks but still counts against the total stunning attacks usable for the day. The DC is 10 + ½ the combined Monk/Lactarn levels + wis modifier.

In Addition the Lactarn is able to use this ability with any of the weapons that can be used with the monks unarmed rate of attack (e.g. nunchaku). Any weapon bonus is added on the DC.

Eyes of Selune(sp)

By closing his eyes and concentrating, once per day the Lactarn can view his environment through his spirit eyes. This has the same effects as the spell true seeing with a caster level equal to that of the Lactarn level.

Arcane Attack (su)

When the Lactarn hits with the arcane attack the Arcane caster will loose a random spell from memory. Spells will reduce from the highest level first. This ability can be used in place of a stunning fist attack but deals no damage. The Will save DC is 10+ ½ the combined monk levels.

Hmm. I do not like the Acrobatic Ability. +10 or +20 is simply to much for a class feature (at least if its not a spell). You could make it a spellike ability, something that is usable 3 times a day.
(Taking 10 is okay, I think)

Velenne

Explorer
Nice story, good concept, and I don't think you botched it up at all. Here are few points where it could be improved:

1.) The Acrobatics doesn't seem to fit. (I've never really thought this ability was balanced anyway) The class already gives these as class skills, and prereqs, so it's just overkill.

2.) The Favored Enemy ability isn't defined (though I'm assuming it's the same as the ranger ability)

3.) Some of the names could be a little more original, or pertain more to the abilities they grant.

4.) What kind of save does the caster make versus Pierce Spell? Fort? This is a dispelling check, I assume? Normally the Caster Level Check DC for a targeted dispel is 11 + spell's Caster Level.

5.) The Will save for Arcane Attack is going to be pretty easy for most spellcasters (who all recieve better will saves) to make. Maybe set the base DC higher, or let the Master of Lactarn add his WIS modifier to it, or get rid of the 1/2 combined monk levels and just let them use their total levels. (I feel this way about most monk saves, ie stunning attack)

Ok that's about it for now. I gotta go to work. Keep crackin'!

Last edited:

tarn2000

First Post
Thanks for the great feedback Velenne

Acrobatics didn't REALLY feel right but I was thrown off by PrC in OA that get super tumbling bonus's to cope with the Extreme Tumbling checks presented in the book.

1.) The Acrobatics doesn't seem to fit. (I've never really thought this ability was balanced anyway) The class already gives these as class skills, and prereqs, so it's just overkill.
I have removed the acrobatics ability and replaced it with Kick of the mountain

Kick of the Mountain

Three times per day - in addition to their normal unarmed damage - a Lactarn is able to deliver a kick of such force that it catapults an attacker through the air and knocked to the ground. The distance the opponent is kicked through the air depends upon their size. Small 15ft, Medium 10ft and Large 5ft (this assumes the Lactarn is medium.
If the kicked attacker (opponent A) is knocked into another attacker (opponent B), then that attacker must make a reflex save at DC10 + ½ levels + Wis modifier or be knocked to the ground as well.
The DC reduces by 5 for every size category that opponent A is smaller than opponent B.

2.) The Favored Enemy ability isn't defined (though I'm assuming it's the same as the ranger ability)
thats right

3.) Some of the names could be a little more original, or pertain more to the abilities they grant.
Namings not my strong point

Be Like Water - Defence of the North Wind
Feel the void - Strike through Twighlight
It Hits All By Itself - Avalanche Attack

4.) What kind of save does the caster make versus Pierce Spell? Fort? This is a dispelling check, I assume? Normally the Caster Level Check DC for a targeted dispel is 11 + spell's Caster Level.
yes it is a dispelling check of 1d20 + combined monk levels against a DC of 11 + spell's Caster Level...

5.) The Will save for Arcane Attack is going to be pretty easy for most spellcasters (who all recieve better will saves) to make
I have increased the DC to 10 + 1/2 conbined levels + Wis modifier

Remove ads