• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FR Player's Guide

Caliber

Explorer
I hadn't heard about this. Do you have any more information?

My understanding is that this will have something to do with Spellscars. I'm thinking a feat which lets you trade out a power for access to a list of powers that no actual class can gain access to.

Pretty interesting idea, really. I wonder if you have to take an initial multiclass feat that would bar you from taking any others though. That would be unfortunate. :(

Vael

Legend
That's a good point. Anyone actually getting the book for FR-use specifically? Not for porting genasi and swordmages to a house game or PoL setting, but actually for FR?

I'll confess I may pick up the book, but I have no real interest in playing FR. I've enjoyed a bunch of FR novels, played Neverwinter Nights, but the Realms has never been a world that I'm all that interested in playing in. Right now, we're doing a generic PoL campaign, and I'm anxiously awaiting the Eberron books, but for now, I'd only buy the book if the material in it is good for adaptation.

vazanar

First Post
That's a good point. Anyone actually getting the book for FR-use specifically? Not for porting genasi and swordmages to a house game or PoL setting, but actually for FR?

Mostly my group will get it for the classes.

However, we did have a massive campaign in 2e where a character or two became powerful wizards allied to the Harpers and BlackStaff. Got to epic sort of levels. Been thinking of having one of the players survive the spellplague. Lost his powers (maybe now a sword mage) but is seeking revenge Cult of Shar and Zhents (especially his old rival Fzoul). Certainly be a fun background. Also give a reason for some of the old players to know faulty realm info.

That One Guy

First Post
Mostly my group will get it for the classes.

However, we did have a massive campaign in 2e where a character or two became powerful wizards allied to the Harpers and BlackStaff. Got to epic sort of levels. Been thinking of having one of the players survive the spellplague. Lost his powers (maybe now a sword mage) but is seeking revenge Cult of Shar and Zhents (especially his old rival Fzoul). Certainly be a fun background. Also give a reason for some of the old players to know faulty realm info.
That's a pretty cool idea. If I had done anything serious in FR in the past I'd try a similar storyline. I bet that's what WoTC's actually hoping players/dms will try to do.

I'm inclined to (with the information we have at this point) guess that the Forgotten Realms Player's Guide is more of a Player's Handbook 1.5 with a Forgotten Realms focus. I don't think anyone really minds this, and I actually like the idea of it, but it seems like a disturbingly well advertised book if we all have limited interest in FR... but want to purchase it. Can anyone make a decent guess at how much is actually FR-only? I guess I'm sort of wondering who their target audience is. 4e in general or FR campaigns? Not mutually exclusive, I know, but it seems to be marketed as the companion to the FRCG, but the excerpts make it appear to be useful to all of us. Why bother with the FR thing? Make the FR players have to buy it, and interest everyone else with excerpts so they pre-order it without actually seeing it?

...Now I'm just sounding paranoid.

Maybe they're just trying to make a useful product that would appeal to their target markets and it seems like it would actually work. Apparently that concept blows my mind.

Last edited:

rounser

First Post
Why bother with the FR thing?
I suspect that a context tends to bring out the best flavour writing. The PHB's "D&D world" is IMO too much of a hollow shell for that - I got the sense reading about it that not even the writers thought they were writing about something believable...it seemed all too wishy-washy and handwavey for that.

(Yes, I understand that it's designed for homebrewing over, but in it's initial state I'm not sure that it's preferable to a blank slate. Even for beginners. A set of rules and suggestions to let them design their own deities and ancient empires would be preferable, perhaps...at least that way they'd get to stamp their own identity on it, and become emotionally invested in it. I mean, making the gods and legendary empires from long ago is the fun, easy stuff, and WOTC's already eaten some of the best chocolates from the homebrew box by taking that away. But what I'm describing is D&D as a worldbuilder's toolkit, and perhaps not the direction that's been taken this edition, maybe for branding reasons.)

Think back to 3E, and the FRCS and MoF contained a lot of inspired PRCs, items and spells with a flavour that you didn't really see in some other books when it was a case of writing crunch for crunch's sake. Or at least, that's the impression I got.

Last edited:

Remove ads