• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

FR Preview-Sword Mage and Genasi

Nikodemus

First Post
Just curious - is that "20% of minions resist fire damage" an actual statistic from analysis of the MM? Or is it just a made up stat that sounded about right? :p

Going through the monster manual, it seems that the actual number is around 13% of the different types of minions have fire resist. That's enough to lower the effectiveness of greenflae as a minion killer in my book.

Eldorian

First Post
Don't forget as well, your Sword IS your implement. You just might be able to use that weapon focus feat with it after all. (You just don't get prof. bonus with Implement attacks)

Not to mention, Aegis of Assault -nullifies- artillery/controller monsters. They either have to attack you, or you r in thr base killin thr mans. It doesn't JUST work on melee monsters, you know.

Weapon focus, Kensei, Daggermaster, all these bonuses are for weapons. When used as an implement, a longsword or whatever isn't a weapon. Hence, no weapon focus bonus with your Swordmage when casting spells with the implement keyword. Weapon keyword? Go ahead.

Also, the switching out a versatile weapon for one hand for the shield bonus, I definitely wouldn't allow. I'd say, as soon as you hold anything in your offhand, you lose the bonus until the beginning of your next action. I expect them to reword it as such before it goes to print.

FadedC

First Post
My only real concern about the swordmage is that a swordmage with aegis of shielding is strongly encouraged to mark his opponent and run away to fight a different opponent, much like the paladin was before he was fixed. Given that the aegis tends to completely neutralize the enemies attacks, this would seem even more powerful then when the paladin could do it.

Nikodemus

First Post
My only real concern about the swordmage is that a swordmage with aegis of shielding is strongly encouraged to mark his opponent and run away to fight a different opponent, much like the paladin was before he was fixed. Given that the aegis tends to completely neutralize the enemies attacks, this would seem even more powerful then when the paladin could do it.

The aegis of shielding is nice, but lets not overstate it. Even a lowly hobgoblin soldier gets through to damage with an average roll against the aegis.

keterys

First Post
Just curious - is that "20% of minions resist fire damage" an actual statistic from analysis of the MM? Or is it just a made up stat that sounded about right? :p

Actually, it was 8 of 39 minions. I have a spreadsheet. Some types repeat, however (like, Legion Devils and Angels of Valor have multiple leveled versions) - I'm not sure that changes the point, though :)

Legion Devils have fire resistance, that's one minion off the top of my head I can think of that probably won't die from Greenflame Blade.

If others here think Greenflame Blade is too powerful, then remove the ability bonus to damage on the initial strike. If it just does [W] damage fire and then strength modifier damage to all adjacent, it won't be better than cleave. It'll clearly be more advantageous for minions, but at a disadvantage for direct damage.

FadedC

First Post
The aegis of shielding is nice, but lets not overstate it. Even a lowly hobgoblin soldier gets through to damage with an average roll against the aegis.

Well assuming a 7 point shield, the average soldier hit does 2.5 damage. While it's true that this is getting through the shield, it's also true that this damage is low enough that the soldier is for all intents and purposes out of the fight.

Slaved

First Post
A Group consisting of three Shielding Swordmages plus a Healing Based Cleric and a Tactical Warlord looks like a lot of fun!! :p:p:p:p:p

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Keep in mind, you only get to activate your power as a swordmage if the target that you've marked attacks someone other than you. I still see that in the vast majority of the time a monster you've marked will be attacking you.

Remove ads