FR to look like a Roger Dean painting

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Knightfall1972 said:
For me, this is how I will always see the Realms.

attachment.php

For me, it's this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• forgottenrealmsgraybox.jpg
    forgottenrealmsgraybox.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 264
  • pic_ice1.jpg
    pic_ice1.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 242

S'mon

Legend
Sir Brennen said:
This page from Roger Dean's site really has a good selection of his landscapes to get a feel for what they're talking about:

That art is great - it doesn't seem very FR-ish, but I guess TSR moved FR a long way from Greenwood's original vision, which was more swords & sorcery AIR.

Nebulous

Legend
I agree with Whisperfoot, this is the essence of the Realms to me:

frbox.jpg

But i like the direction the new art is taking too, although i do wonder if they take it too far "out there" if it will encroach on the weirdness of the outer planes??

nick012000

First Post
Nebulous said:
I agree with Whisperfoot, this is the essence of the Realms to me:

frbox.jpg

But i like the direction the new art is taking too, although i do wonder if they take it too far "out there" if it will encroach on the weirdness of the outer planes??

I don't like this. To me, Fantasy should look fantastical. Whether it's because there's mile-high skyscrapers and airships, or improbably geological formations, it should still invoke that feeling of wonder.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Oui, Primal, i know - and more than you think since I know the original meaning of the term in french. It got generalised.

Two remarks;

-first, this new art.... don't it remind you also of the D&D arcade games? Again, very 0D&D. Something for grognards? ;)

-Two... Well, those old school FR book covers are cool... but Sword and Sorcery fantasy style, Conan-like. Distinct from the older and the newer... Not utherly fantastical, more realistic. You make the choices along your tastes as the ones you prefer. Myself, I am egal, as long as it is cool.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
Primal said:
Really? I'm a geek and I've never heard of this term being used to refer to role-players. Are you certain you know what it means?
Seriously? Where have you been? This is a term that was first used in gaming to describe the holdouts in the 70s who wouldn't taint their wargaming with all that "roleplaying" nonsense. Named for the French soliders who, as Wikipedia puts it, "were the soldiers who were old enough to know what was going on, but junior enough in rank not to be able to affect it, and constantly complained about it." Much like the gamers who are old enough to know the one true way the game is played, but who aren't the game designers and so can't fix all the awful problems that they see in the new editions, and complain constantly about their pet issues.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
Looking at this, and at the Roger Dean art, the essence of the Realms is apparently phallic vertical rock outcroppings. *cough*

Correction; this is the essence of Fantasy, from Smurfs to Dragonball. ;)

Remove ads