Frank Mentzer reveals more details on Worlds of Empyrea

Frank Mentzer, in a video interview about his years in game design and upcoming Kickstarter, notes that Worlds of Empyrea will not just include multi-system support, but that each game system will have an Empyrea boxed set tailor made to fit the play style for that particular game system, which he hopes to release for Gen Con 2018 following the upcoming Kickstarter next month.

Frank Mentzer, in a video interview about his years in game design and upcoming Kickstarter, notes that Worlds of Empyrea will not just include multi-system support, but that each game system will have an Empyrea boxed set tailor made to fit the play style for that particular game system, which he hopes to release for Gen Con 2018 following the upcoming Kickstarter next month.

empyrea_logo.jpg

Additionally, over on Facebook, he revealed a new (final) logo for the setting.

The different boxed sets means that the DCC version of the box set might differ in tone and content, than the D&D 5E version or the Castles & Crusades version. It also means that gamers will not need to sift through mechanics that are intended for other game systems (such as monster stat blocks, etc). The box set will include only the content relevant to the game system of choice. Amongst the systems mentioned were RuneQuest, Savage Worlds, D&D 5e, AD&D, BECMI, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Pathfinder, and Swords & Wizardry.

The interview also touches upon several other aspects of the Kickstarter as well as Frank's history during and after his TSR tenure.

Ace of Shadows

Savant Sage
No judgment, no accusations, and no links; I genuinely don't believe that such things belong in this thread. I really, really, do not want to threadcrap; I would like this thread to remain for those who are excited about this product.

That said, I would feel remiss if I did not point out that it is usually a good idea to check in on what Crowdfunding creators have been up to in, for example, the past 4-5 years, before committing to give your money to them. There are many, many, examples of people getting burned before, and I just want to make the friendly suggestion that you good folks know who and what y'all are spending your money on.

I leave the rest of you to your well-justified excitement
As I said, I was aware the Kickstarter didn't get off the ground, as they can do for any number of reasons. It remains regrettable fans of Oerth didn't get to see this continent detailed back then but who knows what will happen in the future. My post simply concerned the banner image since it would appear to be of the planets from the solar system back in the day that contained Oerth. Obviously, as a fan of Gary, Francoise and Frank's creativity, I was curious about the details.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
As I said, I was aware the Kickstarter didn't get off the ground, as they can do for any number of reasons. It remains regrettable fans of Oerth didn't get to see this continent detailed back then but who knows what will happen in the future. My post simply concerned the banner image since it would appear to be of the planets from the solar system back in the day that contained Oerth. Obviously, as a fan of Gary, Francoise and Frank's creativity, I was curious about the details.
Makes sense. I wasn't responding to you specifically; I didn't notice your thread necromancy and assumed the whole thing was recent.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads