• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free 4e Character Generator

Brasswatchman

First Post
Well I definitely agree. I think what you really need is one of the admins to approve it.

Having a place to post it isn't a problem. I guess what I'm really trying to ask is this -- if I were, hypothetically, to put the character generator online, am I going to catch the same kind of flak I did around here last time?

Kuato

First Post
The old thread looks like a bunch of antagonistic posts by trolls and wanna-be internet lawyers to me. I didn't see any moderator posts in there either, although I may have missed it. Look at it this way - after all those carryings-on by anonymous self-appointed experts, how many times were you actually sued (or even contacted by) either Square-Enix or WotC? I'd guess that answer is zero.

I, for one, would very much appreciate the availability of a new character creator tool (official or otherwise), if only for the way it would ease new players into the system and save time (my group is gaining new players constantly). As I said before, if I were in your position I'd simply post it and let WotC worry about their own legal issues. Alternatively you could post it on your existing site and link it, although I think the community would benefit from more use of the Downloads section here at ENWorld, and no one will use it if nothing useful is posted ;)

munkeywrench

First Post
just post it. the feds aren't going to break down your door and sent you to guantanamo bay. the worst that will happen is a cease and desist letter. by the time that even happens, if ever, lots of people will have been able to enjoy your program.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
just post it. the feds aren't going to break down your door and sent you to guantanamo bay. the worst that will happen is a cease and desist letter. by the time that even happens, if ever, lots of people will have been able to enjoy your program.

This is not an appropriate reply. And, for the person who reported the post, thank you for doing so, but I'm sure you are very aware that munkeywrench does not have authority to speak on EN World's behalf.

Brasswatchman - without knowing more about the program in question, it's very hard to say whether we'd be OK with you uploading it here (not that I'm implying that you necessarily want to). On what I've managed to gather from this thread, it doesn't sound any more egrarious than a thousand other fan creations (especially if it doesn't detail what the powers actually do, etc.), but I'm not really in a position to judge its content.

smetzger

Explorer

Brasswatchman

First Post
Brasswatchman - without knowing more about the program in question, it's very hard to say whether we'd be OK with you uploading it here (not that I'm implying that you necessarily want to). On what I've managed to gather from this thread, it doesn't sound any more egrarious than a thousand other fan creations (especially if it doesn't detail what the powers actually do, etc.), but I'm not really in a position to judge its content.

I do have my own hosting, but thank you for your input. I appreciate it. If anyone's still interested, the program is now online: tinwatchman D&D 4e starting character generator

Remove ads