• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Free healing with Life Transference

Nifft

Penguin Herder
No, I caught that... I was purposefully not considering it, 'cuz it's just as broken as you say it is if that's allowed.

Life Transference is so crazy. Good call on Cleric of Melora though, I was wondering if there was any other encounter power regeneration.
The more I think about it, the more it seems like the best answer is to just charge the Cleric a healing surge (instead of dealing damage to him). That makes it effectively a supercharged Lay On Hands, which is not generally regarded as broken -- and Clerics have a more limited number of surges than Paladins.

Cheers, -- N

DracoSuave

First Post
Yep. Outside of combat, which is the whole context of this discussion, it sure is.

Then it would suck.

Compared to Cure Light Wounds? On yourself, it acts as Cure Light wounds. ON another, yeah it does damage to you, but it does half their hps in a single shot, plus some extra from Healing Lore.

How does that -suck- exactly?

gribble

Explorer
Hell, go with Pacifist Healer, and then you're healing Surge+Surge+Wisdom+Charisma+1d6...
This particular combo won't work. WotC have been careful with the wording of Pacifist Healer - it only applies when the target is actually spending a healing surge, not when they benefit from healing from another source.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, and I posted another, which also works the same way. But why is that insufficient? It still drains party resources (fewer, yes, but still), and if the cleric is out of healing surges, what good is it, if the rest of the party still have half of theirs?

It doesn't help for the much more important in-combat healing.

You still run out of daily powers the same as before.

It's really not that much of a difference in practice, and I actually have some experience using that combination already, since I'm currently playing an elven cleric of Melora in our P&P campaign (playing H1-E3; currently at 12th and venturing in the Trollhaunt Warrens). :)

Bye
Thanee

castro3nw

First Post
One ally would definitely be an improvement to the power.

Playing through Trollhaunt as well, level 13. And really, our adventuring day tends to end more from running out of daylight than surges or dailies. Granted there's 6 of us on a good day, including 2ish leaders. I'm not sure I can remember the last time I ran out of dailies, or anyone ran completely out of surges though. Maybe I'm a hoarder.

Thanee

First Post
Then you could as well remove it completely (with Cure Light Wounds already available at the same level, which isn't great, but would be better than a daily Life Transference for sure).

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads