• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freelance Company- Adventure Module Call to Arms!

Nellisir

Hero
silentspace said:
A question though. Is it possible to actually make money doing this?

Money? Yes.

Profit? That's a different question. The pdf format, with a few rare exceptions, is not a place to get rich, or even live comfortably. Given the way money will be divided, I couldn't be sure how much anyone could hope to make. Could be $10. Could be $50. I wouldn't hope for $100 at this point...not with a divided payout.

The best and surest hope is to put out the best product we can...repeatedly. Have a system, and stick to it. USE the pdf format -- I've espoused this in other threads, and it's going to be even more useful here -- do a "on screen" landscape format with hyperlinks to creature stats (or even some kind of combat matrix...can someone design that? Some kind of generic matrix that we can plug monsters into, and the DM can use to calculate die rolls, or at least keep track of hit points?).

Cheers
Nell.

Belen

Adventurer
It is an older thread, but I think the recent discussion has led to a more viable concept than my first moment of excitement. I believe that silentspace and I agree on a great number of issues.

He is completely correct with reagrds to the brainstorming process. It has a lot of energy and can be a great motivativing force. The main problem comes after the brainstorm, when you have to put the product together. You get a natural let-down as the excitement ends and then the work sets in.

This is where the design leader becomes saint and sinner. The writers may end up hating the person, but it will fall of his shoulders to make sure that the project moves to completion. And this is not something that a CEO can do and still find us the funds to publish.

In any event, the concept can make money and even profit. The beginning will be rough, but should we make stellar products, then we will get companies interested in getting the work to print. This is the CEOs bread and butter project. This person needs to get other companies interested in our work. Maybe Mongoose would love an adventure that features their Quint line of books etc.

It is all about the cross-advertising in this regard.

Silentspace: I think we should get together with d20fool and see where we can go. This is a good concept and I think it could be a winner.

Dave

d20fool

First Post
I think we are off to a good start

I concur with not-so-silentspace, and I think we have our concept team. I recommend we set up a little, anonymous messageboard somewhere and begin sharing ideas. I'll write you Silent Space to exchange e-mails and phone numbers.

In the meantime, I'm also contacting some publishers, print and PDF, to see if anyone is interested. We could write manuscripts and then "auction" off the manuscript to interested parties. Print has a better profit margin than .pdf's, so that is preferable.

I look forward to working with you gentlemen.

Who da' fool?

Krail Stromquism

First Post
wha wha?

Hiya,

Im what you call a graphic designer. I know a lil html, a lil Flash, a lil illustration, a lil KUNG FU! Ok not so much kung fu.

Im diggin this idea, one thing to add. Always have a back up on your team. If someone flakes, deadlines wont be missed. Also agreeing on software and what not may be a good idea. Logistics.

If you need any of my skills feel free to write and tell me so. Oh check out my website, Still working on it. Hopefully get some kinks worked out over the holidays.

www.mythdrivinglegend.com

jwanshura

First Post
Wow, this sounds like it might just happen, and I want in! I'm just another self-styled writer/DM. We're a dime a dozen, but that should help keep your production costs down.

jwan

"How does this signature thing work?" - Anon

haydendlinder

First Post
Starting to get miffed.

Guys, What are you doing? I'm lookin at the last thread and it was posted in FREAKIN DECEMBER?! Now I know we all have lives and lord knows I'm unemployed so lots a free time here. I understand you probably have a great many things more than me to keep you busy but could one of you three give an update please? Last I read D20fool was calling for the three of you to have a get together to discuss. How did it go? Did it go? If not then when? How are you doing? How's your moma? Family is fine here. Pop still has that rash. SAY SOMETHING!

writer/DM no one of any importance so you can ignore the post.

veinglory

First Post
I guess it either went nowhere or was only open to people who already sort of knew each other, rather than all comers -- what a tease ;)

silentspace

First Post
Hi veinglory and haydendlinder.

Nope, this was not a tease. We've worked on this quite a bit. We are currently fine-tuning the plot and outline. Please email me if you're interested in contributing to our efforts!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads