Pathfinder 1E Freeport Pathfinder Companion

Voadam

Legend
So I recently got the pdf of the Freeport Pathfinder Companion.

I'm enjoying it a bunch, stuff on the new races (efreeti blooded native outsiders), a bunch of new feats, some new classes, an optional quick Cthulhu/OGL insanity system, and great stuff for the NPCs, quick short descriptions with full pathfinder stats on dozens and dozens of NPCs described in the Pirate's Guide, plus a 22 page adventure.

I really wish they would revise the electronic file though, it has no bookmarks and is therefore a bit of a pain to navigate the 172 pages to get to what you want to get to quickly.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
I haven't seen the Pathfinder version, but our group was based in Freeport and played many of the adventures in 3.5 over the past year. We had a good time and enjoyed the setting.

ORLY? I didn't know that there was such a thing. Any way to compare it to the "3rd Era" Companion, or whatever they're calling it these days? How are the conversions of the new core classes? which ones did they include? That right there could almost single-handedly convince me to migrate from 3.5 to Pathfinder; one of my biggest gripes with Pathfinder right now is the gaping holes in the archetype line-up covered by the classes, and a slightly house-ruled 3.5, with some third party and non-core materials gives me a really robust selection.

Gosh. I didn't even know this existed.

EDIT: The sample pages on the rpgnow website seem to be almost exactly the same as the d20 Companion, which I already have, with the azhar and crag gnomes (the only real mechanics that it shows) slightly bumped up in power to match their Pathfinder compadres. While that's hardly surprising... it also does make me wonder how much this is really worth to me. If all it does is tweak the existing 3.5 mechanics slightly upward to match Pathfinder... I can do that myself with about half an hour of time and a little experience.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I don't have the 3e one so I can't tell you how different it is.

It looks like the 3e one is 160 pages while the PF one is 172.

Classes are assassin, corsair, monster hunter, noble, survivor, and NPC cultist.

The adventure is Fury in Freeport and is 22 pages long.

IronWolf

blank
EDIT: The sample pages on the rpgnow website seem to be almost exactly the same as the d20 Companion, which I already have, with the azhar and crag gnomes (the only real mechanics that it shows) slightly bumped up in power to match their Pathfinder compadres. While that's hardly surprising... it also does make me wonder how much this is really worth to me. If all it does is tweak the existing 3.5 mechanics slightly upward to match Pathfinder... I can do that myself with about half an hour of time and a little experience.

I could be wrong, but I this was mainly just updating what had already been released to Pathfinder rules. So cool for someone playing Pathfinder that doesn't already own it, but probably not so cool for one willing to convert a bit to Pathfinder. I haven't seen it though to say that with certainty.

Thanael

Explorer
one of my biggest gripes with Pathfinder right now is the gaping holes in the archetype line-up covered by the classes, and a slightly house-ruled 3.5, with some third party and non-core materials gives me a really robust selection.

Which are those holes iyo?

Voadam

Legend
Which are those holes iyo?

The one I find core D&D/PF doesn't do so well is the swashbuckler archetype, someone who will stand and duel someone.

Fighters are generally designed around tanking in heavy armor and give up a lot of class effectiveness to be a quick dex fighter in light armor plus they have low skill points with no swashbucklery class skills.

Rogues are designed to be part of a tag team or ambush to fight effectively and they have little ability to stand and duel as they crumple fairly easily in a straight out face off. They can go for an improved feint one attack a round with sneak attack build but it is not quite the flurry of strikes you'd expect of a fencer.

Rangers have 1/1 BAB, d10 HD, light armor, lots of skill points, and a free two weapon combat tree option, but their class skill list has nothing to do with swashbuckling, they have a bunch of divine magic stuff, and an animal companion ability. They give an OK swashbuckler spine but their focus is really on being a divine wilderness skirmisher.

You can build a swashbuckler in the core system, but it can be handled better by a class fully designed to fit the archetype and niche such as the unfettered from Arcana Evolved.

Philosopher

First Post
The one I find core D&D/PF doesn't do so well is the swashbuckler archetype, someone who will stand and duel someone.

Fighters are generally designed around tanking in heavy armor and give up a lot of class effectiveness to be a quick dex fighter in light armor plus they have low skill points with no swashbucklery class skills.

Check out the free hand fighter archetype in the Advanced Player's Guide. It's designed for fighting with a one-handed weapon while the other hand is free. It gains a dodge bonus to AC while wearing light armour. It also gets bonuses on using various combat maneuvers. Check it out here (scroll down for the archetypes).

You can build a swashbuckler in the core system, but it can be handled better by a class fully designed to fit the archetype and niche such as the unfettered from Arcana Evolved.

An unfettered for Pathfinder would be great to see. While I think the free hand fighter is pretty decent for a swashbuckler, I know not everyone would agree, and I always like extra options.

coyote6

Adventurer
Free Hand Fighter is okay, but you don't get any more skill points or Acrobatics; how can you be a swashbuckler at 2 skill points/level and no Acrobatics?

Also, the Free Hand Fighter isn't great for being a master swordsman -- since they don't get any Weapon Training until 17th level*, they will always be less awesome with a sword than a regular fighter of the same level.

I don't really think it works for the swashbuckling archetype. But I'm not very enamored of any of the archetypes I've looked at, though I haven't checked 'em out too carefully. (I'm GMing, not playing, so it's not a priority.)

Daigle

Explorer
I could be wrong, but I this was mainly just updating what had already been released to Pathfinder rules. So cool for someone playing Pathfinder that doesn't already own it, but probably not so cool for one willing to convert a bit to Pathfinder. I haven't seen it though to say that with certainty.
You would be correct. The Pathfinder version of the book is a conversion of the 3rd Era version. For folks that have the time and don't mind doing the work (or use a lot of 3.5 material in their PF games) this probably isn't the purchase for them. However, I know I'm strapped for time more and more every day, so conversions like these always help me out.

[Full disclosure: I was on the conversion team.]

Remove ads