• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freeport - Which adventure to use next?

Which adventure(s) should I run?

Napftor

Explorer
I'd also suggest Vengeance but this suggestion should be taken with two caveats. First, I wrote the adventure. Second, I'm not overly familiar with anything besides the original trilogy. :) But yes, as has been stated, Vengeance is a direct follow-up to the originals and seems a good choice given the PC levels.

Napftor said:
I'd also suggest Vengeance but this suggestion should be taken with two caveats. First, I wrote the adventure. Second, I'm not overly familiar with anything besides the original trilogy. :) But yes, as has been stated, Vengeance is a direct follow-up to the originals and seems a good choice given the PC levels.

Yeah, I knew that you wrote Vengeance Bret. Can you tell me some more about it and how it links into the Trilogy?

Compared to the previous 3 adventures is it similar in terms of roleplaying/investigation/combat or does it have more of one area than another?

Olaf the Stout

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
I didn't include Hell in Freeport into the list because I had generally read bad things about it, both in reviews and in messageboard posts.

I think Hell's a lot of fun, personally. Although it needs a fair bit of reworking for 3.5 updates.

Napftor

Explorer
Olaf the Stout said:
Yeah, I knew that you wrote Vengeance Bret. Can you tell me some more about it and how it links into the Trilogy?

Compared to the previous 3 adventures is it similar in terms of roleplaying/investigation/combat or does it have more of one area than another?

Olaf the Stout

**SPOILER ALERT***

Vengeance links to the original trilogy in that Drac is still the bad guy. Even from the grave, he manages to threaten Freeport. He set a plan into motion that would, in the event of his death, leave the city shattered by "bombs". The adventure opens with an explosion near the PCs and, from there, they are called upon by Sister Gwendolyn to investigate. The characters first lead is a shard of pottery used in the explosion. But when they arrive at the potter's home, someone has beat them to the information--a group of orcs known as the Crimson Death. From here the PCs can either confront the orc group or follow the next lead to the wizard who commissioned a set of jars matching the one used in the explosion. No matter which path is followed, the PCs confront who now has the "fire bombs" and learn of Drac's final plan. But when the jars are accounted for, two are missing and scheduled for delivery to their targets at the same time! Can the PCs stop the posthumous revenge of a madman?

That's the short short version but, as you can see, there's equal amounts investigation and combat. Having the orcs as a rival group searching for the bombs (to use for their own purposes) also raises the excitement.

talien

Community Supporter
Don't forget the freebies from Green Ronin's site!

http://www.greenronin.com/freeportfocus.shtml

The Consequence of Vice: This Freeport adventure by William Simoni originally appeared in the ENWorld Player's Journal, and is presented here courtesy of our friends at Goodman Games.

Deus Ex Machina: Jeff Quick has cooked up a three-part d20 System Freeport adventure for four 5th to 6th level adventurers.

Holiday in the Sun: Celebrate Freeport's favorite holiday, Swagfest, in this month's Focus on Freeport. Holiday in the Sun is an adventure for character levels 2-4.

Consequences of Vice is about busting up a drug den. It's a major component of my current campaign. I combined the drug den in Consequences of Vice with the drug den in Black Sails Over Freeport, and the two complemented each other nicely.

Deus Ex Machina is silly. I rewrote it significantly for my game.

Holiday in the Sun is a blast and worth playing after the trilogy just so the PCs can engage in the contests. You can read about it in my Story Hour: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=103252&page=6

Vengeance in Freeport takes place like a week after the trilogy, if I remember correctly. We played through this one too, but I tweaked it significantly and changed the bad guys around. Nothing quite like having terrorists in Freeport! :)

TheNovaLord

First Post
in the midle of GMing gangs of freeport. I think its awful but as i have started i i feel committed to finish it for the sake of continuance.

cant quite gather way it so bad....but when one player asks 'who, and why, did someone write this thing' does make you worry

only ever played the first trilogy and all thought they were pretty to very good

JohnD

talien said:
Don't forget the freebies from Green Ronin's site!

http://www.greenronin.com/freeportfocus.shtml

The Consequence of Vice: This Freeport adventure by William Simoni originally appeared in the ENWorld Player's Journal, and is presented here courtesy of our friends at Goodman Games.

Deus Ex Machina: Jeff Quick has cooked up a three-part d20 System Freeport adventure for four 5th to 6th level adventurers.

Holiday in the Sun: Celebrate Freeport's favorite holiday, Swagfest, in this month's Focus on Freeport. Holiday in the Sun is an adventure for character levels 2-4.

Consequences of Vice is about busting up a drug den. It's a major component of my current campaign. I combined the drug den in Consequences of Vice with the drug den in Black Sails Over Freeport, and the two complemented each other nicely.

Deus Ex Machina is silly. I rewrote it significantly for my game.

Holiday in the Sun is a blast and worth playing after the trilogy just so the PCs can engage in the contests. You can read about it in my Story Hour: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=103252&page=6

Vengeance in Freeport takes place like a week after the trilogy, if I remember correctly. We played through this one too, but I tweaked it significantly and changed the bad guys around. Nothing quite like having terrorists in Freeport! :)

I had forgotten about Consequences of Vice and Deus Ex Machina. Thanks for reminding me. We have already played through Holiday in the Sun. I ran it in between Death and Terror. The players seemed to enjoy it.

Olaf the Stout

Napftor said:
**SPOILER ALERT***

Vengeance links to the original trilogy in that Drac is still the bad guy. Even from the grave, he manages to threaten Freeport. He set a plan into motion that would, in the event of his death, leave the city shattered by "bombs". The adventure opens with an explosion near the PCs and, from there, they are called upon by Sister Gwendolyn to investigate. The characters first lead is a shard of pottery used in the explosion. But when they arrive at the potter's home, someone has beat them to the information--a group of orcs known as the Crimson Death. From here the PCs can either confront the orc group or follow the next lead to the wizard who commissioned a set of jars matching the one used in the explosion. No matter which path is followed, the PCs confront who now has the "fire bombs" and learn of Drac's final plan. But when the jars are accounted for, two are missing and scheduled for delivery to their targets at the same time! Can the PCs stop the posthumous revenge of a madman?

That's the short short version but, as you can see, there's equal amounts investigation and combat. Having the orcs as a rival group searching for the bombs (to use for their own purposes) also raises the excitement.

Thanks for that Bret. It sounds interesting. I think I'll buy the PDF and read through it to see whether I think it will be suitable.

Olaf the Stout

TheNovaLord said:
'who, and why, did someone write this thing'

That would be me, actually.

I'm always curious to know why people like, or don't like, my work. I did my best with Gangs to ensure that it felt like something that could actually happen in Freeport, as well as to tie it into the past history of the setting.

I really would like to know why you feel it failed as a module, especially since I hope to work in the Freeport setting again in the future. And please, don't worry about offending. As long as criticism is honest and polite, I don't take offense at people critiquing my work. :)

Mouseferatu said:
That would be me, actually.

I'm always curious to know why people like, or don't like, my work. I did my best with Gangs to ensure that it felt like something that could actually happen in Freeport, as well as to tie it into the past history of the setting.

I really would like to know why you feel it failed as a module, especially since I hope to work in the Freeport setting again in the future. And please, don't worry about offending. As long as criticism is honest and polite, I don't take offense at people critiquing my work. :)

Ari, I was hoping that you might pop in and share some details about Gangs. Can you give me a bit more of a detailed run-down of the adventure please? Compared to the trilogy is it more or less combat-heavy? Does it have much investigation? Traps. puzzles? Would it be easy to scale the adventure up for higher level PC's?

Gotta love EN World. 2 authors for the adventures I have listed have posted so far and another has voted in the poll. Chris, do you have any comments to make regarding Crisis?

Olaf the Stout

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads