• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Freeport - Which adventure to use next?

Which adventure(s) should I run?

Morrow

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Above 10th? Wow. Hmm...

Honestly, I'm not sure. By that point, you're dealing with a whole array of magics that the module was simply not written for--not just on the part of the PCs, but the NPCs and villains as well.

I think it would be possible to take the story and villainous schemes presented in the module, and to write a new adventure around them, for 10th level and above. But I think that might be the best you can do with levels that high above what it was written for.

But hey, I could be wrong.

I just ran Gangs for my 9th level party. It worked fine, but I went into it with reasonable expectations. First, I beefed up the encounters with named opponents, but left the unnamed mooks alone. I wanted the party to have an opportunity to show off and feel good about their abilities. The adventure wouldn't make much sense if you decide that every thug, thief, drug dealer, and guardsman is 8th level. Second, I just accepted that the party might do an end run around some of the encounters with divination magic. As it turned out they didn't, they were having too much fun doing the investigation themselves and never hit a wall. However, if they wanted to use their high level information gathering abilities, I wasn't going to stop them.

Unrelated to the above discussion, Gangs worked very well for us because one of my PCs is a rogue/ sorceror who has been building his own smuggling operation since the beginning of the campaign. In Gangs, my party wasn't concerned with the corruption in the Sea Lord's guard. They never went to the guard, even though they know Xander Williams. Instead, the rogue is making a move to take over the white smoke trade and using the information he found during the adventure to put the squeeze on the other gangs. I don't imagine their going to take it well.

Morrow

Morrow said:
I just ran Gangs for my 9th level party. It worked fine, but I went into it with reasonable expectations. First, I beefed up the encounters with named opponents, but left the unnamed mooks alone. I wanted the party to have an opportunity to show off and feel good about their abilities. The adventure wouldn't make much sense if you decide that every thug, thief, drug dealer, and guardsman is 8th level. Second, I just accepted that the party might do an end run around some of the encounters with divination magic. As it turned out they didn't, they were having too much fun doing the investigation themselves and never hit a wall. However, if they wanted to use their high level information gathering abilities, I wasn't going to stop them.

Unrelated to the above discussion, Gangs worked very well for us because one of my PCs is a rogue/ sorceror who has been building his own smuggling operation since the beginning of the campaign. In Gangs, my party wasn't concerned with the corruption in the Sea Lord's guard. They never went to the guard, even though they know Xander Williams. Instead, the rogue is making a move to take over the white smoke trade and using the information he found during the adventure to put the squeeze on the other gangs. I don't imagine their going to take it well.

Morrow

See, this is the sort of thing I really like hearing. :D To my mind, one of the true marks of success with a module is whether it inspires further stories after it's "officially" over.

If you happen to think of it a while down the road, I'd love to hear how the rogue's efforts turn out. :)

TheNovaLord

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
That would be me, actually.

I'm always curious to know why people like, or don't like, my work. I did my best with Gangs to ensure that it felt like something that could actually happen in Freeport, as well as to tie it into the past history of the setting.

I really would like to know why you feel it failed as a module, especially since I hope to work in the Freeport setting again in the future. And please, don't worry about offending. As long as criticism is honest and polite, I don't take offense at people critiquing my work. :)

Ok we continue with this wed 20th, so i will try and get more feedback from the players. From the GM standpoint when i started printing it out from the pdf there seemed to be a lot of white (space not drug!) and lots of paper for not so much content. This was probably wholley out of your hands on the production side, but it felt like a 20+ page module streteched to 40+. this meant an awful lot of page turning to find stuff that seemed pages away from the initial encounter chapter etc. hope that makes sense?
Social/urban/non-linear adevntures are often tricky to write and their seemed to be an awful lot of 'if the players ask this, then the NPC says....' for what to be honest was a fairly 'weak' plot (dunno, maybe weak isnt the correct word, but it didnt take sherlock holmes to rush through the plot like the PC's did). lacked mystery/real sense of achievement by investigation.

Like i said we are continuing later this week so i will try and get some more specifics. Feedback is very important as you mentioned

regards

John

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads