D&D 5E Freezing a region.

ArtaSoral

Villager
Hey guys, so I could really use some advice/ideas for this campaign I'm working on.
In the campaign I'm having an army of frost giants invade a temperate climate region by having their leader/ the BBEG whose controlling them change the regions climate to a frozen tundra. The main thing I'm having trouble with is coming up with ideas for how he would be doing this. I haven't actually decided what the BBEG is so if there was a creature that could do this that would work really well, or maybe some sort of item or spell? Any suggestions (or criticisms) are welcome. Oh, and if you guys need more details leme know. Thanks in advanced :)

Bladecoder

First Post
Well I think it really depends on how long you plan on this campaign lasting, for example in a 1-10 lvl campaign you will have a different range of abilities for BBEG than in a 1-6 lvl one.

I would say if this is a long term campaign (15-20 lvl) then just have the giant literally get help from the gods; Otherwise, you are going to have to get creative, perhaps he has purposely errupted a volcano in order to create a could of ash that covers the sun and causes this tundra. (Not the most scientific due to the fact that the ash would eventually disapate, but it is fantasy.)

Oh and the Ancient White Dragon is a cliche, but ultimately cool BBEG for this campaign.

Just some thoughts! Good Luck!

Last edited:

ArtaSoral

Villager
Much appreciated! The campaign is actually already pretty high level (15). I guess I kinda wanted to avoid a god as we just ran into one last adventure.

Coroc

Hero
Check out lair conditions and actions of an ancient white Dragon. Your bbeg could be such a creature (maybe in human form for the surprise?)

Just rule that the "lair " is a bit bigger - namely the land invaded, due to the Boss being a paragon of his Kind or some artefact involved.

If the Party is high Level then even cold damage per round in the Close vincinity of the Boss (e.g. 1 mile Diameter?) is fair game unless they protect themselves (pots, spells, warm fur clothing e.g.)

S

Sunseeker

I'd suggest McGuffin or some kind of variant storm elemental (that is either coerced, captured or has its own grudge against the region).

I had a similar theme in a campaign once and the source was the Spirit of Winter. Her sisters (Spring, Summer and Autumn) had made a deal with a powerful wizard-king to lock Winter away, but...the longer you lock Winter away the more powerful it becomes...and when she broke out...yep... Maybe you could reverse the situation, Winter has made a deal with the Frost Giants for more power and thus, greater dominion, Winter rules the seasons and the Frost Giants rule the lands.

Oofta

Legend
As others have stated, do you really need a reason? If it makes sense that later in the campaign you want something for the PCs to destroy, make it up at that time.

Until then, it doesn't matter. I'd go with some sort of Staff of Winter that was planted at the peak of the tallest mountain in the region. Maybe the Frost Giant opened a portal to the plane of ice and cold creating a magical polar vortex. Or he just left the freezer door open again.

There can be rumors of what is causing it but until it matters you don't need to come up with the reason.

Remove ads