D&D General Friday Chill Discussion: What's your favorite monster?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
If I go with the monsters I use the most as adversaries for my players I guess I'd have to say humans? They're the most versatile monster in the monster manual IME.

If I have to exclude humans and go with something a bit more visually interesting probably illithids. I actually really like Brain Collectors from way back in the day - BECMI didn't have illithids but it did have Brain Collectors and I had one who was a mastermind behind the scenes for a campaign. But illithids are almost as good.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Might you interest you in the the Raggamofyn?

Not sure if they originated in Eberron, but they're symbiotes that can turn ANYTHING into a mummy surprise.
Oh yeah! I used them a couple times in 3e. The pic of of the crazed bugbear in thrall to the malevolent underwear on his head is one of my favorites:
Screenshot 2022-07-08 12.08.36.png

Vaalingrade

Legend
Oh yeah! I used them a couple times in 3e. The pic of of the crazed bugbear in thrall to the malevolent underwear on his head is one of my favorites:
View attachment 252980
One of the classics.

I played in a game once with someone whose character turned out to be his bolo tie. The host would wake up confused and hostile sometimes on overnights and he assured us he just had night terrors. We eventually had to find him a new 'blank' host by screwing with an evil wizard's clone spell.

The thing that I love about mimics is that no matter how many times I think "oh, they'll never fall for this," most of the time one of the PCs will still end up unable to resist the lure of treasure and get ambushed.

While I love DMing dragons, and think mimics are cool,

My favorites monsters are white dragons, humble skeletons, and carrion crawlers.

White dragons might lack the finesse and intelligence of other dragons, but there's something primal that evokes the cold of a winter blizzard.

Skeletons just plain look cool and can fit in just about any adventure.

In older editions, carrion crawlers were such a spammy numbers game of having to make up to eight saves vs. paralyzation. They're much fairer now, but also less dangerous.

Stormonu

Legend
My favorite is the dragonne - dragon + lion, what's not to like? It was my favorite toy from the LJN line growing up, but ironically, I've never used it in an actual game.

For actual in-game use as DM? Wights (& Shadows), pre-5E. Those things show up at a surprisingly low level, and at that time, they are downright deadly.

I don't have a favorite as a player - I'm too busy killing them to like any monster much. :)

Remove ads