D&D General Friday Chill Discussion: What's your favorite monster?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My favorite "horde of humanoids" monster is the gnoll. Fun to run, fiendish lore, different than the other standards without being too different. Kobolds are a close second.

My favorite "players will face them once in a campaign" monster is the Roper. In interesting (read: extremely disadvantageous for the PCs) terrain.

My favorite monster to roleplay at least once is something just awfully dumb the players can talk circles around. Ogres and Ettins both fit well.

My favorite "not a mimic" is probably the rug of smothering. Though animated armors and flying swords are a close second.

My favorite undead to spam are likely ghouls and ghasts.

Shiroiken

Legend
I particularly enjoy Dragons and Fiends, but if I'm being honest, it's probably NPCs. A rival adventuring party, a necromancer and his apprentices, or even the misguided knight and his retinue, there's so much versatility!

I keep coming back to Unicorns (and Nightmares for their evil-themed counterpoints). I feel like unicorns are tragically under-represented in D&D compared to other fantasy stuff. Maybe it's because too many people don't want to fight them. But I think they still deserve more lore and attention.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ever since I saw the battle scene in Dragonslayer, I’ve been a fan of running some of the nastiest, most devious dragons I could.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Beholder, especially all the weird variations (like from Spelljammer). They're such a weird concept that I can't help but be inspired when I read about them. I ran a D&D in space game a couple years ago where a "super hive mother" spontaneously mutated that could control other hive mothers, resulting in the entire beholder homeworld rising up en masse to conquer the galaxy.

Remove ads