From Sketch To Print: Comparing Perkins & Schley's Maps For CURSE OF STRAHD

Curse of Strahd may be in many peoples' hands by now, but that doesn't stop us looking at Chris Perkins' map sketches for the adventure. We've seen several already, but I think this might be the best yet. This sketch map for Tsolenka Pass contains views from the side and from above and, frankly, is good enough to include in an adventure just as it is! Minor spoilers follow, of course.

Curse of Strahd may be in many peoples' hands by now, but that doesn't stop us looking at Chris Perkins' map sketches for the adventure. We've seen several already, but I think this might be the best yet. This sketch map for Tsolenka Pass contains views from the side and from above and, frankly, is good enough to include in an adventure just as it is! Minor spoilers follow, of course.

tsolenka_pass.jpg

If you want to see how the final version came out, check out cartographer Mike Schley's map, which is what is included in the book. You can buy the print, as always, directly from the cartographer.

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.46.16.png

Here are some of the previous maps (Perkins followed by Schley) which we've looked at over the past few weeks. It's really interesting to see the differences! I think it's worth noting that the quality and deal of Perkins' maps are significantly higher than average. See the bottom of the page for something from an adventure I published (which you can find on EN5ider) for the clear difference between his cartography skills and my own.

vistani_camp.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.50.23.png

bonegrinder.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.51.38.png

blue_water.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.53.06.png

burgo.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.54.11.png

krezk.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 17.55.51.png

As promised, I'll embarrass myself by showing some of my own mapping skills. My adventure TO SLAY A DRAGON (which is now available for 5th Edition as The Holdenshire Chronicles in EN5ider) contains maps, as you'd expect. Below are my maps, followed by the final versions by cartographer Sean Macdonald. I don't think anybody will disagree that Chris Perkins' sketches are a hundred times better than mine! Note, spoilers for The Holdenshire Chronicles.

image4.jpg

county_of_holdenshire.png

image2.jpg

hex-map50-2.png

image1.jpg

isometric-interior.png

Remove ads

Remove ads