• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frostburn - WoTC Environment Series

Kesh

First Post
So, it seems that Wizards is putting out a new book late this year called Frostburn. (Mentioned here.)

No real details, other than it's part of their new Environment Series.

To me, it sounds like a direct competitor to Frost & Fur, a book which I've been itching to get my hands on.

Perhaps Wizards is diving into the realm of rulebooks to help flesh out campaign regions (arctic, jungle, desert, etc.)? It'll be interesting to see how that works... even more interesting if they would start putting some of this stuff into an OGL format so that other companies can base their settings around it.

Thoughts?

Davelozzi

Explorer
I can't see an environment series being very worthwhile. Maybe a one shot product along the lines of the old Wilderness Survival Guide or even Elminster's Ecologies but a whole series on different environments? Sounds like a real niche product better suited to a third party publisher, in my opinion of course.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am also wondering about it and look for more information, just hope it is not rules for cold weather but an ecologies and environment book.

DSG = Dungeon Survival Guide?
WSG = Wilderness Survival Guide?

Y'know, I think it's just WotC jumping on the bandwagon after my wildly popular "Adventurer's Guide to Surviving Everything" series in the ENWorld Player's Journal. *grin*

diaglo

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
DSG = Dungeon Survival Guide?
WSG = Wilderness Survival Guide?

Y'know, I think it's just WotC jumping on the bandwagon after my wildly popular "Adventurer's Guide to Surviving Everything" series in the ENWorld Player's Journal. *grin*

yes, DSG and WSG were 1edADnD sorta. ala Doug Niles.

i liked your article too.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I might be interested in such a product if it is an all-in-one. Otherwise, they’d have to have a lot of other things in the product to get my dollar (such as a sizeable group of terrain specific monsters).

Qualir

First Post
I generally love WOTC products, but this sounds like an attempt to jump all over someone else's book with a new "official" set of rules and mechanics. I wish WOTC would start pumping out modules like TSR used to instead of $30+ supplements containing one or two cool prestige classes and a bunch of mechanics that "add realism" at the cost of enjoyment and time. At least the modules didn't add an additional 5 lbs to my bookbag, and they were full of interesting campaign ideas and alternate rule mechanics.

But, the DSG and WSG were cool books back in the day (welcome to nonweapon proficiencies). :)

Ashrem Bayle

Explorer
Qualir said:
I generally love WOTC products, but this sounds like an attempt to jump all over someone else's book with a new "official" set of rules and mechanics. I wish WOTC would start pumping out modules like TSR used to instead of $30+ supplements containing one or two cool prestige classes and a bunch of mechanics that "add realism" at the cost of enjoyment and time. At least the modules didn't add an additional 5 lbs to my bookbag, and they were full of interesting campaign ideas and alternate rule mechanics.

But, the DSG and WSG were cool books back in the day (welcome to nonweapon proficiencies). :)

Yea, and then, in a couple of years, WOTC would collapse just like TSR did. There is a reason WOTC doesn't do many adventures. They generally loose money on them

Remove ads