• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Frostburn - WoTC Environment Series

Qualir

First Post
Of course bean counting, a Gygaxian divorce, and overpriced low quality books had nothing to do with this. Not to mention "Misfire" and a very poorly thought out marketing plan to boost holiday sales. :(

Still, I miss the day when rules supplements were something big instead of the next book in a monthly instalment.

~Johnny~

First Post
I don't know, it sounds kind of neat. Let's think about what a book like this could include:

Supplemental rules for cold-weather encounters and hazards
Fluff on different ways cultures might adapt to cold weather
Arctic monsters (probably a big chunk of the book) and variants
Relevant equipment and magic items
Prestige classes and maybe a base class for denizens of the North
Adventure hooks to get people involved in arctic games

It sounds like it could be pretty cool (no pun intended). My guess is that this started off as a guide to Icewind Dale, and then they realized that it would sell better as a more generic product. It makes me wonder if Keith Baker's aquatic adventure material -- originally intended for Eberron -- will make its way into the generic aquatic adventures book.

BTW, Frost & Fur looks really nice, especially with its beautiful Andy Brase art. It's a shame for it that the "official" version will be coming out.

eris404

Explorer
Kesh said:
So, it seems that Wizards is putting out a new book late this year called Frostburn. (Mentioned here.)

No real details, other than it's part of their new Environment Series.

To me, it sounds like a direct competitor to Frost & Fur, a book which I've been itching to get my hands on.

Perhaps Wizards is diving into the realm of rulebooks to help flesh out campaign regions (arctic, jungle, desert, etc.)? It'll be interesting to see how that works... even more interesting if they would start putting some of this stuff into an OGL format so that other companies can base their settings around it.

Thoughts?

It's funny, because we were just discussing these types of books a couple of weeks ago. I was shopping with our group's DM at Games Plus and discussing the seeming lack of environment-type books. He was looking for a desert-specific book, with monsters, spells, etc. along with natural desert hazards. We eventually found one, although I don't know the name of the top of my head, but I'm not sure if he likes it or not.

It doesn't surprise me that Wizards would be doing something like this, considering their "environmental" columns on their web site. Those are actually pretty good. But, this sort of book seems like something more suited to a smaller company. The DM and I even discussed trying our hand at making small environment books as PDFs, but I guess that idea is scrapped now. :(

Felikeries

First Post
hmm.....

Frostburn is actually a progressive in action realm setting series

a land that has been smitten by the'frostburn' takes on magical properties
not just ice,but burning ethereal ice,and places are transformed,as well as beasts

conversions for templates include a name post or pre title
such as "eicillyz' or 'zielice/ or 'frostebb' and 'frasteny'

normal feats etc don't apply to weather,however cons. and varying forms
of elemental modifiers do

.....how does that sound

Stone Dog

Adventurer
I rather like the idea. I'd like to see some more than others of course. Frostburn sounds like a good place to start though.

In Unearthed Arcana they have favored environment rules for; aquatic, desert(cold), desert(temperate or warm), forest(cold or temperate), Forest (warm) Hills, marsh, mountain, plains and underground. If there is one of each that would suck, but a jungle book (HA!), desert book and aquatic book would go well on my shelf.

Wolffenjugend

First Post
TSR put out a winterland sourcebook years ago (but after the WSG). I can't remember what it was called but it had a frost giant on the cover and I think it had frost or ice in the name.

Richards

Legend
If the series is going to be of the quality of the environmental stuff on the WotC website ("Far Corners of the World"), then I'm all for it. I hope James Jacobs is involved in the book/books.

Johnathan

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Let's see - Environmental books...

Wilderness
Wilds (by AEG)
Into the Green (Bastion Press)
Wildscape (FFG)

Water
The Deep (MEG)
Into the Blue (Bastion Press - forthcoming)
Depths of Despair (PEG)

Underdark
Underdark (WotC)
Underdark Adventure Guide (Goodman Games)
Into the Black (Bastion Press)

Desert
Dry Land: Empires of the Dragon Sands (MEG)

Cold
Frost & Fur (Forthcoming - Monkey God)

These are all pretty good sources, and I'm sure there are others I've forgotten. I'm a bit surprised that WotC is entering this arena, but I guess these *are* books that can be sold to players and DMs alike rather than just DMs, so I guess the market is big enough for their interest.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Wolffenjugend said:
TSR put out a winterland sourcebook years ago (but after the WSG). I can't remember what it was called but it had a frost giant on the cover and I think it had frost or ice in the name.

There was "FR14 - The Great Glacier" for the Forgotten Realms.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'm guessing: Frostburn - the book of Deserts and Ice!

:)

Actually, these books really could be great. We really don't know enough about them, but a supplement supporting adventures in such extreme conditions - and giving adventure ideas as well - would be very interesting.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads