D&D 5E Full Announcement of Mythical Odesseys of Theros in Dragon+ Issue 30

JeffB

Legend
It ended up being a sort of seed for homebrew Settings: you could take Wyatt's version of the Egyptian Pantheon and their envious, andd really make a D&D campaign out of it.

His Magic Setting Art books have been fantastic. Worth flipping through.

I'll have to check the MTG books out, thanks for the FYI.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Reasonable conclusions. They tested a block of thematically appropriate Subclasses in a big series, and then put out a book.
No, they tested a block of very, very, disparately themed options, ranging from psionic to fey to generally extraplanar to classical, and have continued to do so well after inclusion in the book had to have mostly been finalised.

They were almost certainly testing for multiple products.

gyor

Legend
It occurs to that only might Nymphs and Nyxborn be Supernatural Gifts, but so could being one of the Returned.

And its interesting that it not only explores the material world, but that there are 5 Realms in the Underworld that get explored as well.

gyor

Legend
HistoryEdit
Thousands of years ago, the gods waged war against the titans, their predecessors. Victorious, the gods sealed the titans in the Underworld. If they would ever be freed, they would inflict unspeakable horrors on Theros.

LocationsEdit
  • Agonas, in whose arenas honorless fighters are doomed to fight forever.[7]
  • Phylias, a tedious place for ordinary or indifferent souls whose lives were uninspired.[8]
    • The glassy oceans of Nerono.[9]
    • The Mire of Punishment: where those caught attempting to escape the Underworld spend the rest of their existence.[10]
  • Ilysia, a protected realm as tranquil and vibrant as the rest of the Underworld is bleak.[11] Those who die as heroes are permitted to dwell here.
  • The Labyrinth of Memories is a maze of waterways in the Underworld that traps travelers by sending them in circles for eternity. Sirens torment lost souls by whispering true directions -- words that fade immediately from the listener's mind.
  • The bleak realm of Tizerus, outside the palace of Erebos, where all hope crumbles to dust.[12]

Weiley31

Legend
I'm interested in the Mythic monsters and the piety system, those could be good additions. Not sure about the rest of it though
The Piety system could be used to represent how classes like the Cleric and Paladin could lose their powers ala older editions.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hmm, I wasn't interested in this book before. I'm on the fence. Should I invest in this setting? I do like the new races. And the Legendary creatures/God-like creatures.

Give me 2 more settings, and I'll run a setting hopper adventure for my players...

Chaosmancer

Legend
The Piety system could be used to represent how classes like the Cleric and Paladin could lose their powers ala older editions.

Meh, I'm not terribly interested in taking away cool abilities. I'd be much happier if it allowed for characters who pushed forward their deities agenda to get special abilities.

The fighter who honors Ares getting to call upon his piety to achieve something awesome, that is a system I'm interested in, not something that ends up saying "do this or lose your abilities"

Weiley31

Legend
Meh, I'm not terribly interested in taking away cool abilities. I'd be much happier if it allowed for characters who pushed forward their deities agenda to get special abilities.

The fighter who honors Ares getting to call upon his piety to achieve something awesome, that is a system I'm interested in, not something that ends up saying "do this or lose your abilities"
Agreed, but for those who WANTS to reincorporate the idea if they wanted, there ya go.

slobster

Hero
Hmm, I wasn't interested in this book before. I'm on the fence. Should I invest in this setting? I do like the new races. And the Legendary creatures/God-like creatures.

Give me 2 more settings, and I'll run a setting hopper adventure for my players...
One advantage of the setting is that it looks to be drawing on a lot of sources of inspiration that will be familiar and exciting even to players who know nothing about Theros and have no interest in Magic. Throw an ancient Greece-inspired city state at them with names changed and toga colors swapped, and you'll probably be able to use a lot of the material in many other settings, published or homebrew, without anyone being the wiser.

As to the mechanics, we'll see what they are like as release approaches! Putting devotion rules for deities or legendary "boss" monsters does seem like a pretty promising thing you could include in lots of campaigns as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases