D&D 5E Full Announcement of Mythical Odesseys of Theros in Dragon+ Issue 30

gyor

Legend
I will say the Lurker of the Deep should have been the Kraken Domain for Clerics who get their magic from the Quasigod Krakens instead of usual Gods.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
These Theros inhabitants begs to differ:

View attachment 119042View attachment 119043View attachment 119044View attachment 119045
Given their publishing Patterson, it is safe to presume that all of the Magic appropriate Subclasses they batch tested at the same time as the Subclasses bound for the Magic D&D book were for the same project. Through stuff at the wall, see what sticks.
None of that would be out of place in Ravnica. You may have missed the part where I said that Theros doesn’t fit the barbarian any better than most mtg settings.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is Greek themed, not alot of Shamanism, and any there is they'd use the Druid for. The Barbarian would fit in other settings however, such as a Rashemi Barbarian, or in Eldraine's wilds.

Plus the Aberrant Soul Sorcerer likely is a delibrate tie into Baldur's Gate 3, Mutant Tadpole in the brain turning you into a Psion Aberrant Sorcerer seems directly inspired by BG3's plot.

Oh, boy, there's a few misunderstandings there: Shamans are one of the more prevalent card types in Magic, usually Red, and is a Gish type. Theros is chock-a-block full of Minotaurs and Centaur Shaman cards, that fit that specific Subclass to a Tee

gyor

Legend
I'm interested in the Mythic monsters and the piety system, those could be good additions. Not sure about the rest of it though

Yeah I'm really looking forward to both as well, although I hope they have a Mythic Template as well for monsters.

And if the expanded piety system is good I want it importanted into the Forgotten Realms.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
None of that would be out of place in Ravnica. You may have missed the part where I said that Theros doesn’t fit the barbarian any better than most mtg settings.

Right, but those are all cards from Theros. Given the strong fit (a Wildsoul Minotaur Barbarian born under a violent Omen?) combined with the timing, that was a test for this book.

gyor

Legend
Reasonable conclusions. They tested a block of thematically appropriate Subclasses in a big series, and then put out a book.

Except that most of them were not thematically appropriate. You see Theros as an MtG setting, but D&D will look at this setting Primarily as a Greek inspired D&D setting with Lionfolk, which means Red Mana Barbarians mean nothing in this context. Its does this fit Theros Greek inspired Themes or not?

gyor

Legend
I do think we will still get a Zendikar Setting book, the designers have called it a D&D inspired setting since before they were crossing the streams, but it won't happen until after Zendikar Rising comes out at the end of 2020, which means that the Zendikar Campaign Setting book will be in 2021.

Remove ads