Full Attacks and AoO Poll

Vegepygmy

First Post
If you are using an Exotic Ranged weapon (such as the Greatbow), the Exotic Weapon Master PrC from CW has Close Quarters Ranged Combat. Never found anything else (and rightly so, IMO).
Order of the Bow Initiates (also from CW) get Close Combat Shot (and don't have to use an exotic weapon to do it).

Herzog

Adventurer
The 'Arrow Mind' spell (SpC) (Ranger 1, Sor/Wiz 1) lets you threaten all squares in your normal melee range with a bow. This allows you to make attacks of opportunity, as well as not provocing attacks of opportunity yourself when you fire the bow within melee range of someone else.

Angrydad

First Post
Yep. Famous last words... "I guess we will see if he has combat reflexes..." only followed by the slightly less famous "Let me try again, no way his dex can be that high..."

Except I'm pretty sure one character with Combat Reflexes can't make multiple attacks against the same target, so the archer taking 4 shots at the CR fighter next to him with a 16+ Dex only gets hit once (potentially).

Jhaelen

First Post
Except I'm pretty sure one character with Combat Reflexes can't make multiple attacks against the same target, so the archer taking 4 shots at the CR fighter next to him with a 16+ Dex only gets hit once (potentially).
Incorrect. Each attack constitutes a new opportunity.
There's also no limit to the number of different attackers that may get opportunity attacks for each opportunity.

irdeggman

First Post
I have to reluctantly agree that the RAW supports the multiple AoO against a character making a full attack with a ranged weapon and that CR would allow mutliple AoO against the archer.

I personally only would apply it once - as the it seems totally unfair and I would considere the making a ranged attack as part of a full attack action to only be "one" opening here.

I also have a a huge difficulty when applying this rule to spellcasters (and manifestors).

For example a spellcaster in a threatened square makes a successful casting defensively check and then casts a ranged touch attack spell. One school of thought says that the spellcasting and the attack are two separate actions and thus the spellcaster must find a way to avoid 2 AoO. My logic on this is that the attack is part of the spellcasting and thus a successful casting defensively check would eliminate the AoO (well actually the AoO is eliminated by choosing to cast defensively the check is to see if the spell gets off). But it is possible to read the rules to support both sides on the casting/manifesting issue, IMO - with the basis for the argument being on multiple AoO for a full attack with a ranged weapon.

Remove ads