Full Version of Marvel Multiverse Role-Playing Game Core Rulebook

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
The thing I'm most interested in is how they ended up making the differences between character ranks matter. How does mixing characters of different rank work out in play? Could you really do something like the Avengers where you have Hawkeye and Black Widow in the same game as the Hulk and Thor?

Lord Shark

Adventurer
The thing I'm most interested in is how they ended up making the differences between character ranks matter. How does mixing characters of different rank work out in play? Could you really do something like the Avengers where you have Hawkeye and Black Widow in the same game as the Hulk and Thor?

From what I have seen, teams of mixed-rank characters don't work very well.

If you want to do Black Widow teaming up with Thor and Iron Man, the GM is going to have to give Black Widow opponents and challenges specifically tailored to her, and excuses for why the thunder god and the well-connected billionaire genius can't just handle them. I don't think dumping it on the GM is much of a solution, but that's what you get.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
From what I have seen, teams of mixed-rank characters don't work very well.

If you want to do Black Widow teaming up with Thor and Iron Man, the GM is going to have to give Black Widow opponents and challenges specifically tailored to her, and excuses for why the thunder god and the well-connected billionaire genius can't just handle them. I don't think dumping it on the GM is much of a solution, but that's what you get.
To be fair, that’s something you see all the time in the comics and other superhero media. Any supers referee should already know that’s a thing to do. That they called out something as obvious to superheroes as that is good, and likely meant for people who come onboard newish to the genre.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I may be wrong but I think, from what I’ve skimmed, the average difficulty check goes up per hero rank to keep it “even”.

IE a rank 2 hero’s average check would be like a 12 while rank 4 would be 14 or whatever. Of course bonuses etc add into the roll which the higher rank would have more of so it would still be a tad easier for them, I guess but not a cake walk.

I could be wrong in my skimming level quick read

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I may be wrong but I think, from what I’ve skimmed, the average difficulty check goes up per hero rank to keep it “even”.

IE a rank 2 hero’s average check would be like a 12 while rank 4 would be 14 or whatever. Of course bonuses etc add into the roll which the higher rank would have more of so it would still be a tad easier for them, I guess but not a cake walk.

I could be wrong in my skimming level quick read
That's what it looks like Rank +10 is the baseline for challenging target numbers.

But, your ability score cap exceeds your rank. Rank +3 is your ability score cap.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
For me, it would be Icons: Assembled Edition, BASH: Ultimate Edition, Supers! Revised, or M&M 2e (3e is more work than I want).
Surprisingly, I bounced off Supers! RED. My top two dedicated superhero systems are Marvel Heroic RPG and TSR's Marvel Super Heroes. Of those you listed, I like Icons the best.

Reynard

Legend
For me, it would be Icons: Assembled Edition, BASH: Ultimate Edition, Supers! Revised, or M&M 2e (3e is more work than I want).
I'm surprised you think M&M 3E is more work than 2E. I feel like it streamlined and simplified a bunch of things. 2E was the edition my Champions players really liked.

Greg K

Legend
Surprisingly, I bounced off Supers! RED. My top two dedicated superhero systems are Marvel Heroic RPG and TSR's Marvel Super Heroes. Of those you listed, I like Icons the best.
I like a lot about Marvel Heroic. I used to be big on TSR's Marvel Super Heroes. I even had house rules posted on both Classic Marvel and Ty State's website. However, I came to really I dislike the Universal Chart and some other "official" aspects of the game. It is not at the bottom of my superhero rpg list (that would include games like Superhero 2044, Heroes Unlimited, and Foundation), but also not at my top.

Remove ads