D&D 5E Fumble charts for spellcasting?

I don't have fumble charts, but I did make school-based Wild Magic charts (my campaign has universal wild magic, with the magic more likely to go weird the higher level the magic). Sometimes it means the spell casts normally but with some additional effects (good or bad), and other times it converts into a different spell.

Some samples from Evocation:

Would you share your charts with me? These are pretty awesome.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I feel EVERY d20 roll should include the possibility of a crit or a fumble, whether attacks, ability checks, or saves
Not sure about saves, but certianly anything requiring aiming (including many spells) and-or done under duress (e.g. some physical ability checks when the PC is rushed, say, or being shot at).

Yaarel

He Mage
Not sure about saves, but certianly anything requiring aiming (including many spells) and-or done under duress (e.g. some physical ability checks when the PC is rushed, say, or being shot at).

Yeah, and it also relates to everything working within bounded accuracy, and using the same math consistently.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If anyone's interested, I've got a series of tables:

--- melee fumbles
--- wild magic surges
--- magic item destruction

PM me with an email address and I'll send 'em over.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I really like the fumble charts because in a layed back game it adds a bit of humor to the game (you attack with a horn and it gets stuck in the ground). But a few of the results wouldnt work with spellcasting (your weapon goes flying off 5 feet away from you).
Your focus is jolted away by magical backlash?

Is there a fumble chart for spellcasting or if you happen to land on one that requires a weapon you just ignore it?
Heh, in a sense there already is: it's presented as a Wild Sorcerer feature. ;)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
These are our rules:

Wild Magic
Sometimes things don’t go as planned. Whether attempting to cast a spell you haven’t fully mastered, in some cases having your spell disrupted, being impaired, using substitute components, or using a damaged wand or magic item, there is a chance that the spell won’t produce the expected effect.

Casting Unmastered Spells
You can attempt to cast a spell that you have not yet mastered but have started studying (spent at least 8 hours studying and experimenting). It carries risks and requires more effort on your part to do so.
  • You cast the spell as if it were one level higher, but the effects are that of the base spell level.
  • You must roll on the Wild Magic Surge with a -5 penalty.
Wild Magic Surges
You must make a roll on the Wild Magic Surge table when:
  • When attempting to cast a spell you haven’t mastered.
  • When attempting to cast a sorcery at a level higher than your safe casting level.
  • When you take damage in combat when casting or concentrating on a ritual, sorcery or spell.
  • When you are subjected to one of the following conditions: Ability Damaged, Deafened, Debilitated, Encumbered, Frightened, Grappled, Impaired, Incapacitated, Life Drained, Petrified, Poisoned, Prone, Sleeping, Suffocating, or Wounded.

Wild Magic Surge Modifiers
  • + Spell Attack Modifier if mastered spell or safe sorcery
  • +1 for each additional participant of a ritual
  • (effective) Level of the spell or ritual
  • ½ damage taken
  • Level on Condition Track
  • -5 when encumbered
  • -5 when casting an unmastered spell
  • Advantage if using an arcane focus
  • Disadvantage when, Grappled, Impaired, knocked Prone1, Suffocating, or Terrified.
1Only when knocked prone, not the prone condition itself.

Wild Magic Surge

d20Effect
<2
The spell creates a random effect.​
3-4
The spell backfires and affects the caster. If the target is the caster, the spell misfires.​
5-6
Roll on the Spell Misfire table.1​
7-10
Roll on the Spell Fizzles table.​
11-20+
The spell functions normally.​
12If a lightning-based spell it backfires if the caster is wearing metal armor other than true elven armor.

Spell Fizzles

The energy of the spell is released without the intended effects.

D6Effect
The spell slot is used.​
The spell slot is not used.​
You cast the pyrotechnics spell in a random direction in front of you. The spell slot is not used.​
You cast the pyrotechnics spell in a random direction in front of you. The spell slot is used.​
5-6
The spell creates a random effect. Roll on the Wild Magic Surge table (PHB 104 or other list).​

Spell Misfire

The energy of the spell is catastrophically released.

D6Effect
1-2
The spell releases its energy as a line 10 ft. long per level of the spell. Roll 1d6:
1) fire
2) force
3) lightning
4) necrotic
5) radiant
6) thunder
Damage is equal to 2d6 per level of the spell. Creatures that make a successful Dexterity saving throw take half damage.​
3-4
The spell violently explodes.
Creatures in a 30 ft. radius:
Take 2d4 damage (type as above) per level of the spell (no saving throw).
Must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked back 10 feet and prone.​
The spell violently explodes.
The caster:
Takes 2d4 damage (type as above) per level of the spell (no saving throw).
Must make a Strength saving throw or be knocked back 10 feet and prone.​
The spell creates a random effect.​

Remove ads