Fury over Black Hermione Granger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor Azer

First Post
Heh, but I do say ‘gendered’ language. And sexually ‘oriented’.

Yes, because "gender" is a noun and "to gender" a verb. To change them into adjectives (like transgender), you use the past participle of the verb (gendered).

Yaarel

He Mage
Okay, but there are black brits for whom the U.K. has been their homeland for generations now and who are culturally British. I've seen them before; they've come through my drive through. It's always notable because here in the states you don't expect someone who looks african-american to speak with a British accent.

‘Native’ British blacks are rare.

Also, to pretend blacks are simply whites with darker makeup, is to ignore and erase various Pan African cultures - and to deny the contributions that these cultures have made.

It is morally wrong.

It seems to me, in the last decade or two, the Leftists have started to lose their humanity. Erasing ethnic diversity, and imposing cultural homogeneity, is conformist, totalitarian, and tyrannical.

It is wrong to destroy white cultures, by delegitimization and disintegration. it is wrong to destroy black cultures, by pretending they are no different from white cultures.

Humans are different from each other. I like diversity.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
‘Native’ British blacks are rare.

Black residents comprise about 3% of the population, so I guess "rare" is reasonable. It's much higher in major cosmopolitan cities of course (I think it's about 13% in London).

I'm not sure the word "native" really means much in the UK though. Black folks have been here since at least the 12th century (very likely before). In the 17th century the number increased dramatically (partly, sadly, due to the slave trade). The 17th century, incidentally, is earlier than the formation of the United States. Unless you're using the word "native" in the same sense that you do when using the term "Native American", then those people and their descendants are as native to Britain as anybody but a Native American is to the USA.

If you were using the term in that "Native American" context, I don't think even I meet your definition of native British. It's a heck of a mongrel nation with waves of immigration over thousands of years.

The correct term for these folks, incidentally, is "Black British". Sometimes folks in the US refer too them as "African Americans" which, of course, they're not. :)

Yaarel

He Mage
Black residents comprise about 3% of the population, so I guess "rare" is reasonable. It's much higher in major cosmopolitan cities of course (I think it's about 13% in London).

I'm not sure the word "native" really means much in the UK though. Black folks have been here since at least the 12th century (very likely before). In the 17th century the number increased dramatically (partly, sadly, due to the slave trade). The 17th century, incidentally, is earlier than the formation of the United States. Unless you're using the word "native" in the same sense that you do when using the term "Native American", then those people and their descendants are as native to Britain as anybody but a Native American is to the USA.

If you were using the term in that "Native American" context, I don't think even I meet your definition of native British. It's a heck of a mongrel nation with waves of immigration over thousands of years.

The correct term for these folks, incidentally, is "Black British". Sometimes folks in the US refer too them as "African Americans" which, of course, they're not. :)

Blacks have been living in England, since at least the time of Shakespeare. But, if their descendants completely identify with ethnic English, then they probably intermarried and their descendants ceased to be black.

Oppositely, if they are still black today, then they are almost certainly intentionally preserving an ethnic identity that is distinct from English ethnicity.

Either way, a person who is both black and ethnically English (or Scot, Irish, or Welsh) is extremely rare.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

I saw an interview of a Black British athlete- I forget if he was a track guy or soccer- by an American reporter who asked, "How many African Americans are there in England?"

His grinning response, "None."

At least the reporter had the wit to realize the error and become flustered and recovered, "What I meant was..."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Blacks have been living in England, since at least the time of Shakespeare. But, if their descendants completely identify with ethnic English, then they probably intermarried and their descendants ceased to be black.

Oppositely, if they are still black today, then they are almost certainly intentionally preserving an ethnic identity that is distinct from English ethnicity.

Either way, a person who is both black and ethnically English (or Scot, Irish, or Welsh) is extremely rare.

Phil Lynott is spinning in his grave.

Mel B might want to kick you in the twig & berries.

If she succeeds, Lenny Henry will immortalize the event with a joke.

Last edited:

Cor Azer

First Post

Why the focus on 'ethnic English (or Scot, or Welsh, or Irish)', except as a means to move the goalposts?

Hermione's ethnicity was never stated in the books. Her nationality is apparently British (I surmise - I've not read the books, but it sounds like her parents were relatively affluent British dentists), but one could certainly be born and grown up in Britain with black skin as much as any other.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

This is a meaningless distinction. Nobody is ethnically English. My own lineage certainly departs these Isles long before I get as far back as any collection of people who could reasonably claim that. We're all French or Roman or Scandinavian or Irish or ... well, the list goes on.

What are you defining as ethnically English?

It's just not a term that means anything.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Why the focus on 'ethnic English (or Scot, or Welsh, or Irish)', except as a means to move the goalposts?

In the USA, African and Carribean émigrés do resent being lumped in with American blacks...and vice versa. There ARE cultural differences, though white supremacists don't make those fine distinctions.

I suspect that the experiences of those subgroups in the UK are roughly analogous- most differences are infra, and the dominant culture at large is largely clueless as to what matters and why.

That said, I strongly suspect that the actual demographic distribution of Black British vs Africans and Black Carribeans in the UK is not skewed in the way Yaarel suggests.

Yaarel

He Mage
Phil Lynott is spinning in his grave.

I am unfamiliar with Phil Lynott, the musician. But if a understand a quick jaunt thru the internet correctly, then his example confirms my point.

Phil is the son of a white woman of English ethnicity, and a black immigrant from Guyana (Caribbean coast of South America). Phil is ethnically both white and black. However, he grew up with his maternal grandmother in Ireland, and identifies himself as fully Irish ethnicity. Indeed, his wife is white. Likely, his descendants will cease to be black.

Individuals can and do choose their own ethnicity. Even if not born in, they can be ‘adopted’ and welcomed in by the ethnic group.

But to *compel* persons to erase their own ethnicity is a specific kind of genocide.

To try erase the various white cultures is genocide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads