GAMA Has A New Board

The Game Manufacters Association has held its annual elections, which have resulted in a few new board members. Vice President: Chris Spivey (Darker Hue Studios) Treasurer: Gary Alaka (Gap Closer Games) Director-at-Large: Jeff Pinsker (Amigo Games) and Julie Ahern (Greenbriar Games) In the financial results, the organization lost $100K in 2019 (which was less than the expected expenditure...

The Game Manufacters Association has held its annual elections, which have resulted in a few new board members.

gama.jpg

• Vice President: Chris Spivey (Darker Hue Studios)
  • Treasurer: Gary Alaka (Gap Closer Games)
  • Director-at-Large: Jeff Pinsker (Amigo Games) and Julie Ahern (Greenbriar Games)
In the financial results, the organization lost $100K in 2019 (which was less than the expected expenditure for that year). With the cancellation of Origins Game Fair and Origins Online, they expect to lose twice that amount this year.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Chris Spivey is the creator of Harlem Unbound, an award winning Cthulhu RPG distributed by Chaosium, or did you not know that?
I know exactly who he is. I’ve spoken to him multiple times. I’ve given him several ENnie awards, and he’s been a guest on my podcast twice. He’s a highly competent and talented game designer. While I would never try to speak for him, if I had to bet, I’m sure he’s rolling his eyes right now.

MGibster

Legend
Chris Spivey is the creator of Harlem Unbound, an award winning Cthulhu RPG distributed by Chaosium, or did you not know that?

I think the problem is that you referred to Spivey's election as a token of appreciation. Token is often used disparagingly to imply a minority (woman, African American, LQBTQ, etc., etc.) was hired because it makes the organization look good rather than their qualifications. So when you say Spivey's election was a token of appreciation some people are going to interpret that as you meaning he isn't really qualified.

Retreater

Legend
I love attending Origins. It's by far my favorite Con I've attended. I hope this board can get everything sorted out. Good luck to all.

I am encouraged by these changes, especially after the recent problems. Hopefully we see fewer debacles like the Larry Correia incident of a few years back.

Origins is a con I enjoy all the much. All the moreso for being less than half the drive to Gen Con.

Retreater

Legend
Compared to GenCon, I love the smaller scale of Origins. It's like a highlight reel of GenCon, and the focus is on the games. It has the bonus of being during the summer and not the school year, so my teacher fiancee can go too.

Birmy

Adventurer
Compared to GenCon, I love the smaller scale of Origins. It's like a highlight reel of GenCon, and the focus is on the games. It has the bonus of being during the summer and not the school year, so my teacher fiancee can go too.

One of these days I'll get to both; I've never been to Origins and Gen Con used to be a local show for me. Someday when time, money, and hotel reservations align...!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads