[Game of Death] Therron's Challenge

reapersaurus

First Post
looks good - everything you said is correct.
Also, IF Therron somehow won initiative, it might be too quick of fight.

Now with the AMF up, I'll try to figure out what to do exactly with my moves (I'll have both of them act at the same time). I'll try to post them later tonight.

Here's to a good battle!

Victim

First Post
Well, if Therron won initiative and moved to attack, my contingency would trigger and pop Solid Fog, which would block LoS and reduce speed to 1/10th.

Also, we are far enough apart (225 ft) and the terrain is such that Therron would need to cast Fly before moving to attack.

reapersaurus

First Post
Neat, and it opens up some interesting questions:

How far away would the Solid Fog Contingency activate?

If Therron was flying, he could make it thru the 20' hight to attack.

He also has Teleport, so he wouldn't need to Fly all the way for the surprise attack, if he'd gotten initiative.

Which, of course, is academic, but fun to talk about anyway - I'm glad you like talking about the characters, as well.

Victim

First Post
Unlike a potion belt, a scroll organizer doesn't reduce the time needed to retrieve the scrolls. Not so useful, aside from saving we low INT magic users the embarrassment of confidently drawing a scroll of Tenser's Transformation, only to begin reading it and find that our mighty combat magic is a Tenser's Floating Disk. "Oops, never mind. That scroll was carrying away your treasure after we kill you. If you give me a moment, I'll put it back and show you my true power, err the power of my magical toys," just isn't going to fly in battle. My wizard will have to make a Heward's Handy Scroll Carrier instead.

Yeah, Therron could charge through a Solid Fog, but only if he started very close to it.

I tried to minimize the chance of dying before I could activate the AMF. Well, I tried to minimize overall chances of dying, but since Maturak's normal saves and AC suck, he'd be toast if seriously attacked without the field. But that's the reason I used Monk levels (archery is Maturak's biggest weakness), decided to use AMF, etc.

One amusing thing to consider is how utterly out of place Maturak would be in a normal adventuring group. AMF doesn't hinder monsters (Giants, Dread Girallons, etc) all that much, while it cripples most parties. Using Fly by attack or a returning javelin to wear down enemies doesn't fit well with normal adventuring tactics. He doesn't fill a spellcasting, melee tank, damage dealing, or skill position. On the other hand, while Therron has a convoluted build, he's an amazing melee character if not caught unprepared. His attacks and damage are probably too extreme for most groups, but in concept he fits.

On the other hand, Maturak's wide array of stymieing abilities would make him an effective villain. He doesn't do so much damage that PCs die instantly, but can still hurt characters, especially since it's hard to hurt him. Maturak can probably escape battles with Invis, Obscuring Mist, flight, etc. He'd be a good public henchmen acting for the mysterious secret bad guy. he's has to be getting high level spells, gnome gadgets, 1 shot items, etc somewhere.

reapersaurus

First Post
that's a fine analysis, and a funny conclusion about Maturak.

In thinking about attacking Maturak, I think the AMF and the way 3E uses 5' squares might become a problem.

For example, when Therron charges, if he approaches Maturak on the diagonal, than there is only 1 square in AMF range.
If Therron is up-close with Maturak, and he Improved Shield Bashes him 5' diagonally, couldn't Therron back up 5' diagonally and be out of the AMF?
That seems silly, but that's the way it works out, due to the 5' square business, right?

Also, what do you think the Hardness and hit points for the megahyperultimate exoframe?

And it just occured to me: IF the AMF stops magically-reached arms from coming in, then following balance, it should allow those arms to return to size when they leave the AMF (like when the PC is on the edge of the AMF). But that would be silly.
Ah, forget it - If Jade wanted to pull Therron out of the AMF, I'm sure she could (5' reach for both).

Thinking about Divine Might - it's a feat. Feats usually aren't magical unless they say so, so their benefits shouldn't go away?
Why would the CHA bonus to damage be nullified in an AMF?
Divine Shield I can see, since it's an enhancement bonus to the shield.
I'm blanking on why Divine Might would be nullified, other than the original source being a turn undead attempt to fuel it.

Oh - and all the Ioun stones are in the HHH's - NOT FLOATING AROUND for kobolds to pick off. ;)

P.S. These strategic questions will probably be rendered moot once I get close enough for Therron to use his surprise move, but.... ;)

Victim

First Post
I thought that since Divine feats required Turn Undead, using them would be supernatural, like turning. Without the power source, the technique is worthless. Maybe we should ask about it in Rules, though, because my defenders FAQ, while old, doesn't mention anything about this, and I don't have the book.

Gadget armor attachment has 10 Hardness, and 30 HP.

The oddness with the squares is part of the game, I guess. Bashing diagonally then stepping back would take Therron out of the AMF, I guess. Then Jade could heal him, or something.

While not exactly pertinent to your comment about squares and diagonals, I find that working in terms of diameter is less confusing. An AMF has a 20 ft diameter - it doesn't quite reach out 2 squares from my square. On the other hand, Maturak's normal reach has 25' diameter.

reapersaurus

First Post
I agree that working in terms of diamter is the only way it makes sense.

So we'll have to find out / decide about the Divine Might, after this first proposed action...

I added up the bonuses and such, and they may come into play... however, I believe Therron has basically an instant-win combo that nobody has noticed yet.

So here's my proposed action for Therron & Jade this first round. You can tell me if you agree with it, and/or if you want to go on and have me do a different action afterwards.

Actually, I just remembered that it wouldn't be until next round that I would do this, so this round would be spent with:

Jade Hastes herself with a potion, then dances, Inspiring Greatness in Therron (takes a full round for effect). This Bardic Music ability would grant him 2 extra HD, which "count as regular Hit Dice for determining effects such as the sleep spell."

Therron would Haste himself with a charge of Doomwarding, go Invisible, and activate a Divine Shield.

Next round, Therron would Teleport them both 30' away from Maturak, then use his Great Ki Shout as part of his full-attack charge. Since Therron would have 17 HD, and Maturak 15 HD, the Shout has a Will save DC of 33, and should be Ex, since I see no errata for it, and it's closest in mechanic to a Dragon Roar (Frightful Presence), which is Ex.
This would last for 2d6 rounds, and give Maturak a -2 morale penalty on attack rolls, saves, and checks, and a 50% chance to drop what he's holding, and run away if he's alive after Therron's charge.

So given this strategy, I'm wondering what you want to do.
Do you want me not to do this, and post a 1st round action that doesn't include it?
Do you not think it would work like I think it does? (which is quite possible - I haven't been able to find anything that would refute it, though).

P.S. I looked at Therron's sheet - Solid Fog wouldn't have stopped him if he'd won initiative, since he has the Travel domain. :D

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Hmm. Interestingly, Therron would have more HD, but the same level. I guess it sucks to be Maturak though.

Looks like my Solid Fog idea wasn't as fool proof as I thought. Oh well, it was the best I could come up with as far as level 4 or below spells.

My next move should also be familar:
--------------------------------------------

Activate Expeditious Retreat (1 min, 49 charges), and then move 30 ft into the air.
--------------------------------------

How does Therron go Invisible? For some reason, I can't open the Wordpad Therron, but the "Notepad Therron for GoD - low CHA" doesn't have any ways to turn invisible that I can see.

I'd like to see how your original plan plays out. Some of your particulars might change since Maturak is flying, though. However, I've rolled Maturak's Will save against the Ki shout (if things get that far).

1d20+13; Roll 7, 20 versus DC 33 = Failure.

Another thing to think about is how Therron's flying charge would be affected be the fact that he stops flying about 10 ft from Maturak. Charges must be in a straight line, afterall. Diving charges would probably be unaffected.

reapersaurus

First Post
You still want to continue while panicked?
OK - we can see some blood - LOL :D

And if the Invisibility potion isn't on there, it must be because I ended up putting it in later. You have the choice to have Therron not have it, in which case he'd have cast Flying on himself.

So Round 2, Jade would cast Flying on herself, and Obscuring Mist (if Therron wasn't invisible, and if it travels with you) before Therron casts Teleport on he and Jade to 30' above and to the (diagonal) side of Maturak.

He would Rage, and go into Ki Frenzy also, and shift his Divine Shield-ed Defending Shield to full defense before Roaring Strike his Great Ki Shout, causing Maturak to panic.
Does Maturak drop his weapon?
Either way, I can't picture a panicked target being able to get an AoO on an Invisible or Obscuring Mist-covered target.
So with the full attack, Therron has 6 attacks (3 BAB, 2 TWF/ITWF. 1 Ki Frenzy).
Attack bonus is +12 BAB, +6 STR, +2 charge, +1 Weapon Focus, +1 Masterwork weapons, -2 TWF, -2 Ki Frenzy = +18 (+20 if Invisible)
Damage is 1d6+6 STR (6 Divine Might will be ignored for this battle) x 2 for Shield Charge = 2d6+12 for 6 attacks.

If you would roll any rolls, that would be great, since you know where a good place to get them is, and I trust you.

Actually, there's an interesting rules question after Therron charges (while flying) into the AMF:
Once the attack completes, he'll start falling until he's out of the AMF (unless Maturak can stop him somehow). So that puts his magic items in play again, and he could do a partial charge by burning another Doomwarding charge, right?
Attack bonus would be +22 on that one, same damage (can you Power Attack on a second action in a round? If so, Power Attack for 6).

If not, Jade would move near to him, staying outside the field by 5'. She could get close by estimating it, and hearing the battle and Therron's calls.

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
Obscuring mist is stationary from the point cast.

Therron can not get off an additional partial charge because not all of his movement for the round was in the same direction. There was falling and changing of direction (going back up) involved.

Unless I missed a change, power attack can be designated prior to an attack action and lasts the entire round. Which of course puts itself into conflict if you attack with out it, then attack with it because of an additional attack action from haste. But as it stands I'd rule that a character could designate power attack or expertise/fighting defensively on his extra partial action. The penalty would apply to his AofO's as normal.

Last edited:

Remove ads