Game of Thrones D20

Krieg

First Post
While I am looking forward to Guardian of Orders's Game of Thrones book there is a little part of me that can't help but wish that FFG had ended up with this license (FFG produces has the license for the CCG).

No real point here except a bit of wishful thinking.

Here's to GOO hitting a home run with their book however!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Krieg said:
While I am looking forward to Guardian of Orders's Game of Thrones book there is a little part of me that can't help but wish that FFG had ended up with this license (FFG produces has the license for the CCG).

No real point here except a bit of wishful thinking.

Here's to GOO hitting a home run with their book however!
Well, FFG should have tried to negotiate for the whole thing, but I guess they don't have enough to offer, so they take the one that will generate the most profit for them.

To be honest with you, I don't know if FFG have any long-term commitment to support d20/OGL, aside from their Horizon series. I would have love to see a revision of Dragonstar but that future is bleak.

Krieg

First Post
Ranger REG said:
To be honest with you, I don't know if FFG have any long-term commitment to support d20/OGL, aside from their Horizon series. I would have love to see a revision of Dragonstar but that future is bleak.

Long term support isn't a major issue to me, give me a well done core book and I am happy. :)

Mechanically I just like FFG's D20 work better than GOO's. I have a nagging fear that a Game Of Thrones is going to look too much like SAS D20 for my tastes.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Krieg said:
Long term support isn't a major issue to me, give me a well done core book and I am happy. :)
I guess that's the trend these days. Publish one core game book and that's it. Good for some gamers, sucks for others.

As for the mechanics, it can't be helped. If anything, GOO will continue to promote their second-gen d20 engine, just like AEG using Spycraft engine for their licensed Stargate SG-1. The best you can do or hope for is to help them improve their engine, or just take the game book material and convert it to another d20 ruleset.

Krieg

First Post
Ranger REG said:
.../snip/... or just take the game book material and convert it to another d20 ruleset.

Which is what I would probably end up doing regardless of how good the mechanics are. lol

Like I said I wish GOO nothing but the best with this product was mostly just doing a bit of thinking out loud. :)

BTW kudos to them for deciding to do the D20 only version in color as well. Originally only the dual-stat book was going to be in color.

Krieg said:
I have a nagging fear that a Game Of Thrones is going to look too much like SAS D20 for my tastes.

You may be pleased to know, then, that AGOT d20 looks nothing like any of our previous d20 books. It's d20, but it's "Game-of-Thrones-d20."

RodneyThompson

First Post
I played the demo that GoO had at GenCon this year and was very pleased. If the book goes as well as that demo hinted, I'm sure all Song of Ice and Fire fans will be tickled. I'm especially fond of the active defense system, which has actually made me like shields again!

Ranger REG

Explorer
Guardians Of Order said:
You may be pleased to know, then, that AGOT d20 looks nothing like any of our previous d20 books. It's d20, but it's "Game-of-Thrones-d20."
Really? How far have you deviated from your well-known in-house 2-gen d20 rules system (based on Anime d20 SRD)?

Last edited:

Remove ads