GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 3

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Oh yeah, I also tend to think the Dothraki charge was dumb. In real life, as far as I know, much of the power of cavalry charges come from its ability to break lines through a combination of fear and momentum. The Dothraki charged headlong into a literally *wall* of undead, and the only thing that accomplishes is being surrounded by zombies and quickly dying to their counterattack. They should not have even attempted that without knowing what the enemy battle lines actually looked like.

Heavy Cavalry would smash into the lines to break them. Light cavalry like the Dothraki would be used to hit the flanks of the enemy and peel away, harry retreating foes, or to screen and allow your troops to retreat. All of those depend on knowing exactly where the enemy is.

Zardnaar

Legend
Light cavalry is good once lines are broken or vs light infantry. It's not so good vs heavy infantry, archers, heavy cavalry.

Stupid cavalry charges have been done IRL though it happens.

Arya getting the kill with the dagger from season in was sweet though.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sure, but can you name one that happened at night in the pitch black, with torches in hand to remove all night vision, and across snow and icy conditions? ;)

Maybe there was one of those battles in Russia fought against the Tartars IIRC in appalling conditions in the far north in twilight. I'll have to look into it it's been a while.

The commanders in the show haven't been depicted as idiots though. It's just more season 7 though rushing things.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Not every commander is good at strategy. Dany and Jon have shown they aren't. That didn't bother me. The plot armor of the main characters did.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
While I have been re-watching the older seasons to just... look for minor details and refresh the oldest bits in my mind, I come to realize something.

It is really kind of dumb, especially at this point to expect perfect and sometimes even common sense tactics from this fantasy show.

While it is true that there are some battles or sides that use good tactics, most don't seem to. It is more for effect.

Like... those assaulting King's Landing in the Battle for the Black Water. Most of the infantry didn't even have shields. Not just proper, crafted shields, but not even some bits of wood to stop an arrow. Shields were cheap. Unless you are telling me, that out of Stanis' 100K army, he choose to lead the assault off with the poorest equipped men?

Heck, some of the guys WITH shields had them strapped to their backs or didn't bother to raise them once they took arrow fire.

I no longer expect GoT armies to employ proper tactics. I sit back and enjoy whatever atmosphere the manufactured battle was designed to portray.

Mercurius

Legend
I read somewhere someone comparing the Night King to the golden snitch in Harry Potter's quidditch game. It is just a silly rule, making the rest of the game superfluous. Kill the Night King, win the whole thing.

And yeah, the White Walkers being nothing more than a cool looking entourage was rather...underwhelming.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I read somewhere someone comparing the Night King to the golden snitch in Harry Potter's quidditch game. It is just a silly rule, making the rest of the game superfluous. Kill the Night King, win the whole thing.

It's a well-known trope.

Also see Independence Day, The Phantom Menace, The Last Starfighter, Army of Darkness, and a hundred more!

Mercurius

Legend
It's a well-known trope.

Also see Independence Day, The Phantom Menace, The Last Starfighter, Army of Darkness, and a hundred more!

I realize that. It doesn't make it less silly, and of course it is important how it is implemented. Defeating the Night King just seemed too...easy. Such build-up and then, voila, done - and his entire army with him. Winter is no longer coming in one sneaky move by Arya.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I realize that. It doesn't make it less silly, and of course it is important how it is implemented. Defeating the Night King just seemed too...easy. Such build-up and then, voila, done - and his entire army with him. Winter is no longer coming in one sneaky move by Arya.

Well yeah. That’s the fundamental problem with the trope. It’s never been satisfying.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases